THR Pain In Posterior

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sharon is right Jon - if you are limping you need to keep using a walking aid and take something for the pain. You don't want to get into the limping habit again. It's a cycle - take the meds to stay ahead of the discomfort and get moving. More range of motion and mobility allows you to build the muscles. Then rest and try again.
 
Hi Sharon, thank you very much for the input and great advice. I'll try to live up to it.
HELP!
A new problem has arisen which causes me to wonder if it is related to the op. Some years ago I had kidney stones removed and remember well the pain which alerted me to the condition. Well, two days ago, it started in the groin area and within two hours had spread to the left kidney area; a very sharp knife like pain lasting about 30 minutes. After dialling the medical assistance number (UK 111) I was advised to quickly go to the local accident and emergency hospital and seek advice. When I got there and informed them about where the pain was (by now it was just a grumble) I was given blood tests, urine tests, an X-ray of the kidney area and an untra sonic scan of the abdomen. Nothing was found to be wrong with the kidney. no stones, no blood in the urine, nothing untoward on the scan. However here I am three days later and the pain in the kidney area persists (but not in the groin). I am beginning to wonder if it is a result of the THR op?
Any suggestion will be most welcome as I will need to see my doctor and request an MRI scan, something I don't really want to do.
And Sharon, I will try to walk straight and will start taking paracetamol to relieve the "ache"
 
Geez Jon, not sure what that could be. You will notice all kinds of aches and pains post op as things continue to settle. I'm going to tag Jo Josephine; and see if she has any advice. Hang in there. She should be back tomorrow.
 
I can so relate with you Jon, I was just 2 months post and got a kidney infection.. It sure gives us a scare. But pleased that the investigation didn't show anything.. Am keen to read what Jo advises - take care :)
 
Poppet, you've hit the nail right on the head !:) Last night (Saturday) the pain had become so bad, like a very hot knife raking from my groin to my kidney area and back again, that I phoned the non-emergency number (UK 111). I was immediately advised to return to the Accident and Emergency dept. There after many tests my blood examination showed an abnormal number of white blood cells.,.....evidence of an infection. I was diagnosed with "Sever kidney infection" and given TRAMADOL for the pain and CEFALEXIN for the infection. The pain was quite excruciating as Poppet may well agree, and although an infection is bad enough, I prefer it to the kidney stones.:whistle:.
Again the forum has really really helped as it is great just to be able to talk to people and express one's worries. Thank you all...and Poppet, I do hope that you got over your's with no problems.
Looking back, I wonder if the infection could have been caused by the catheter used during the op? Not that I am worried anymore.
 
Jon, so glad you got tested and are now on the right meds. Hope that pain eases soon and the nasty infection gets controlled. Please keep us updated!
 
Week 13 and an improvement! The kidney infection is still there and the GP has given me another weeks supply of the anti-biotic and TRAMADOL for the pain relief. Now an interesting side effect of taking the pain-killer. It of course stopped me having that "ache" in the op. side thigh when I walked, so one day I forgot to take my crutch! BINGO " No need for the crutch (ATM anyway !) and I can walk straight with no listing to port :) . I must try to keep that up when I finish the TRAMADOL. Its also much easier now to sleep on the op. side. any discomfort I originally had last week has gone. So to any readers who feel disappointed with progress, stick in..as it will eventually come. I must confess I was feeling down when I saw no progress in some weeks, but no doubt it was actually going on. So 13 seems to have been a lucky number for me. Now....next job is to get rid of this constipation which is a side effect of TRAMADOL.:gaah:
 
Well done Jon. Your experience points to the need to keep taking pain meds so you gain the mobility. Keep working on building the muscle strength so that when you no longer need the meds you have the strength to stay mobile. Don't feel bad if you need a cane or crutch when you get tired. All part of the process.

Here's a thread from the Library to help you deal with those side effects.
 
Hi Jon, wondering how you are going?
 
Good day to all fellow "Hipsters".
Jacey, many thanks for that very informative link. I was almost on the verge of going to my local chemist and getting suppositories or a stick of dynamite, when the Extra Strong laxative started to do its work. :). I didn't know constipation could be so painful !, Well, here am I now in the 14th week post op. And following the excellent advice I have been given on this forum, I am now able to walk without a crutch. A slight wobble not and again, but I think Poppet suggested I make an attempt to walk straight, so I'm doing that. The only sign of my hip op. is that I still have a slight "ache" when I start to sleep on the op. side but not enough to cause any problem. As far as the kidney infection is concerned, well, after that massive dose of CEFALEXIN it appears to have cleared up; but who knows ...eh?:umm:. I now seem to have adopted a "husky" voice which my GP told me this morning will eventually go along with other side-effects of the medication. Including the X-rays taken to investigate the kidneys, I estimate that within the past 14 weeks I have had 12 X-ray sessions. So, if anyone in the Northern UK. sees a glowing abdomen walking down the street at night, it will probably just be me.:heehee:

Do you know, its almost impossible to detect that I've had the THR. Like everything else, the pain is now a distant memory. So I'd like that to be an encouragement to all the new "Hipsters" who have just had the op.
 
Oh Jon, I do love your posts, you have such a calming way with your posting, even in the midst of pain, infection etc..

I love to come visit your thread :)

Take care, sending big hugs.
 
Well, here we go and week 15 post op. Dear fellow Hipsters, never take it for granted our road to total recover is problem free. "The body giveth and the body taketh away", to paraphrase an old saying. Last week you will note my unsurpassed joy at being able to walk without the aid of a crutch. Sadly, that was only a temporary phase. My body obviously decided to remind me that recovery is in the wise words of POPPET, "a marathon, not a sprint". It gave me that ache in the thigh muscle, encouraging me to adopt the discarded crutch again. To be honest, using the crutch serves two valuable purposes. 1) it greatly reduces the ache mentioned, 2) it informs people that here is a disabled old man, and they they get out of the way. I haven't decided which is the more valuable asset.:)
But I know that progress is being made as that is the only complaint I can make. BTW, I notice that the "husky voice" which plagued me during the last two weeks has now vanished along with the last of those anti-biotics. Yes, my return to crutch-assisted travel brings home that in our condition, we take 2 steps forwards and shouldn't be surprised with the one occasional step back.
 
You are so right, Jon. I get reminded of the need for patience all the time. This is a big deal surgery and recovery--no doubt about it.

I hear you about people getting out of your way when they see you with your crutch. I'm still using my cane, and I have people opening doors for me, letting me go ahead of them in line, and all kinds of nice things. Good to know there are still good people out there. I think I may keep using it after I'm healed ... just to be able to reap the benefits, ha ha!

Things will come ... patience is what we all have to have.

Dorothy
 
Hi Jon and rider1960;

I have given much thought to the fact that we read so often on the forum how each and everyone of us are changed in someway from having had our surgeries, but one of the most constant words I read on posts is "patience"..

Bodies heal, lives move on into a more or less normal pattern similar to before surgery, but I believe I have become so much more patient and accepting of life's challenges... or is it that I am just getting older and wiser ?

I am so pleased for you Jon that your voice has returned and the infection is clear? Regards using the crutch, that is a good thing for now it is what your body is telling you, you need.. Good for you for being so self aware..

You have had your fair share of post surgical issues, let's hope that is it and now it is free sailing ... Like I mentioned I love visiting with you Jon :)
 
Hi Jon, just dropped by to see how you are going ? Would love to get an update :)
 
Hello again fellow "Hipsters". Well its been 22 weeks since Mr Surgeon took his Black and Decker electric saw and removed one of my joints. (I refer to the hip of course and not a cannabis one! :) ) This current missive is yet another call for "patience". I still get an ache in my new hip now and again, especially in the top part of my thigh muscle., buit also when I lie on that side. I've started going to the gym again, but not using the treadmill; I mean, I'd get rather funny looks from the young ladies there if I was to use the crutch on that machine wouldn't I? But I manage to do a bit on the cycles for cardio, and weights for the upper body. Its amazing how out of condition one can get when not exercising for 12 months. After 5 minutes of cycling I'm puffing and panting. What I do notice is that there is no pressure on the new hip when undertaking this exercise, but I think it must help that thigh muscle. However as the new hip beds itself in I am now aware of the slight pain in the other one. I don't know if this is common with other Hipsters, but the pains started in my knees first, but they proved to be OK after having a MRI Scan !. T'was the hip after alll ! I'll try to keep away from Mr. Surgeon with that one as long as possible. So, in the words of the Immortal Prophet.. "Patience dear people, patience". Peace and Love to all.
Jon
 
HI there, John, good to hear you are doing better now. as for "as the new hip beds itself in" you may like to know that the bedding in process was pretty much complete by about 16 weeks out.
 
Jon, I'm 18 months out from my first hip, and when I woke up this morning I noticed some aching in the top thigh area. I concluded that I probably slept on that side too long during the night. If I don't position myself just right, I'll get the aching while I'm lying on it. Anyway, occasional aches long after surgery are quite the norm.

As for your second hip, if you have a degenerative condition (aka arthritis), it certainly wouldn't be surprising that it would act up eventually. What do your hip xrays show? It's also possible though that you are still adjusting to your new gait and the good hip just squawks about it. Also, if you're still using a crutch, that may be affecting your gait.

My own experience is that my surgeon said my second hip was probably a year or so behind my first, and he was spot on target with that. When the occasional twinges changed to chronic aches and stabs, I scheduled the second hip. No sense waiting for the grinding misery.

22 weeks....it's a long way from that day of surgery, but it's also relatively early in a recovery process that can take well over a year....up to two years. You mention you are going to the gym, but are reluctant to use the treadmill because of the crutch. Are you working with anyone who can give you guidance about that? I started using the treadmill very early in my PT, and I found it helped me regain a proper gait quite quickly.

Keep the progress coming,
Sharon
 
Hi Jon

Great to hear from you.. Not much to add to Sharon's post, except it is good to get an update :)
 
Hi Jon, great to get your update. Please don't worry about the occasional ache or pain. You are more and more active now. All those muscles are waking up and are now asked to get going. They are bound to complain a bit. Just keep at it - don't over do but just keep going. Things will continue to settle. You are doing great!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom