THR Pain In Posterior

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: 1 wk postop questions

As I said earlier I find that lying on the op.side is very very painful, (and I'm now at the 6 weeks anniversary). However, after reading some posts on this excellent forum, last night I tried my unop side with a hard pillow between my legs. What bliss!!!!! I now have two choices...the back and the right side.
I see why the pillow is necessary as at first I didn't use it but found that the op.side hip was being pushed down so the pillow stopped that. Last night was the first nights unbroken sleep I've had in 6 weeks!....
 
Re: 1 wk postop questions

So pleased to hear that Jon:thumb: You will now get some decent sleep!!! I found exactly the same......
 
Good for you, Jon. I found sleeping on the operated side took a long time and I built up lying on that side from a few moments at a time to a few minutes, etc. until one night I fell asleep. That was 7 months out from surgery for me. Hope it won't take you as long but it does take time. All the best to you.
 
What a great anniversary gift, a good night's sleep! Turning that corner makes really makes the recovery that much easier. :sleepz:

Happy Anniversary Jon!
 
Hi Jon and welcome,
Sorry about the pain in your butt. The whole thing is a pain in the butt haha.

Here is how I interpret your note from phisio, and it coincides with what I was told back then

1st 6 wks, on your back

2nd 6 wks "may" lie on op side. The key word here is "may. All this means is that now you are now free to lie on your op side. You do this as tolerated. Some peoples op side is too sore, others not. If you are comfortable, even for a bit, it gives you a little variation when you sleep and that can be nice.

Until 12 wks do not lie on non op side. This is so you don't cross that line. When u r on non op side, the op side would hang over and cross that mid line. For me, they told me I could if I had a big enough pillow between my legs, but you should follow your own orders.

So it is a journey my friend. Hang in there. Just think of where u were a few wks ago and where you are now. Progress right? Your buttpain will be a thing of the past soon. Take care, Cathy
 
Well, today and here we are (or rather I am) starting the 7th. week post op. That "broken glass" feeling is still there in the posterior but nowhere nearly as bad as previously, so I suppose that healing is taking place. But it does seems so slow! I am still using one crutch, and the op.side is still very tender but at least I am able to walk a fair distance. So far I am able to do about 1,000 yards each day, (weather permitting); I say "about" as I am using Google Earth" as a measuring tool. I still haven't given any thought to driving as yet, as long at the op. side is very tender; Anyway, my surgeon is not seeing me until July 17th. So a long wait. It's great to read about the others on this forum who are progressing as it would be so easy to let oneself get depressed with what appears to be ones slow progress.
 
Hi Jon, pleased to hear the butt pain is getting better, albeit slowly. I'm still on one crutch 16 weeks out, I think it's sensible to do so when out walking, I imagine how I would feel if I got to a certain point and couldn't walk because of pain or discomfort. I drove at 12 weeks.....felt like I could earlier but because of insurance situations didn't. It felt uncomfortable at first so I only took little drives but now it (almost) feels normal. Seems like you are doing rsally well, slow and steady

Take care

Ann
 
Thanks Annie....Its good to hear about you progress. I think I may be impatient. but the 12 weeks before driving look logical to me, as its only 5 weeks away. And i can't imagine doing without the one crutch support for some time yet. Butr doesn't time drag. :-):)
 
Hi Jon, I think you are being sensible following your OS instructions. I found myself comparing my progress with other around my surgery month and thought... Mmmm! am I behind or just lazy... decided it was my journey and I would do it my way.. good for your, your new hip is for life.. plenty of time to be active..
 
Hi Jon, saw on poppies thread you were feeling recovery has stalled a bit. Want you to know that I felt the same thing around your time. Seemed like the first 6 wks things were moving along, I could measure my progress and then things slowed some and I wondered if nothing was happening. The path to wellness on the recovery journey is not a strait line. There will be ups and downs (sitting on broken glass haha) and periods of great progress and periods of not much going on. Your body is still healing and doing things even if you do not feel like it is.

Using the cane is a very personal thing. Some people are off really quickly, some (unfortunately like myself) are using it a long time. So many factors involved. How weak was the hip going in, what other body issues are involved for the person, how quick of a healer the person is, and on and on. I agree with Sandy. Don't compare yourself with others too much. Take my word for it, it is a waste of precious energy you could be using for other things. Sounds like you are doing well. If you feel like you could and want to be driving you could always call the doctors office and ask.

Happy healing :SUNsmile: Cathy
 
Well, its now 8 weeks since the big day. Since the second week I have been able to walk without using both crutches, however it is still necessary for me to use one of them. I've tried without the sticks assistance but can only manage a few steps, (about 10 - 20). Also the op. thigh is still very tender and I frequently need to take 3 paracetamol in the morning to carry me through the day. I'd like to hear from others who are still "crutch bound", and particularly those who have managed to dispense with that aid and at what stage did they manage that.
I tried driving my car (MINI) today and was pleasantly relieved that....
A) the hip angle was much larger than 90 degrees to the pedals and
B) operating the clutch was a doddle with no problems.
As the memsahib (my wife :) ) is disabled, the vehicle is an absolute necessity, so no more taxis.:yay:
 
Jon, please don't worry about still needing that crutch. There is no timescale for this recovery. Every story is different. What usually happens is you will start to leave that crutch behind. Until then, keep using it. It's all about building not only the strength, but your own confidence. In addition some people experience balance problems post-op.

One thing - can you clarify are you taking 3 paracetamol all at once? If so you are over dosing. Please read the packet and follow the dosage. You can do yourself some serious damage if you take too much of this drug. Perhaps you should use another pain killer if you need more pain relief? Maybe speak to your GP.
 
Thanks very much, Jacey, for the advice and encouragement. Yes, I take the 3 paracetamol all at once. I thought that was OK as long as I didn't exceed 8 per day. I'll revise that at once. I don't like codeine.....constipation as you know...:sorry: And you're so right about the balance problems....I also think it's a matter on mind over balance..(I'm a retired psychologist :angel:....)
 
I had major balance problems post-op. But no one ever talked about it so I thought it was just me. NOT! Everything is shifting and settling. Just give it time.

Do take the paracetamol 2 every 4 hours. It can cause major problems (long term) if you overdose. I agree with you on the codiene - can't take any of it!

You are doing well Jon - please don't get discouraged. Slow and steady!
 
I remember feeling bad because I needed to use a walker longer then what the book said was the average time. For my anterior HR, it said two weeks with walker, and two with a cane. Doc then told me that was minimum and to use them no matter how I felt. Well, turned out I needed the walker or crutches for 3 weeks and the can for an additional two weeks. So 5 weeks total for me. What really worked well for me was that I started taking baby steps. Looked funny, but helped me build up my walking skills faster then. Try the baby steps, kind of like a shuffle.
 
Hiya Jon, I'm so pleased you happened to mention your paracetamol intake which meant Jaycey could advise you that you are taking too many at once, as J says, overdosing on them is quite dangerous.

About the crutch. I am 17 weeks post op and still need one crutch when I am walking outside. Yesterday I walked there and back to a friends house which is about 100 yards away without my crutch. Felt a bit sore whilst walking but it was manageable. That night I could feel it in my operated hip and leg, somewhat painful it was. I think that will be my limit for a while yet. I think it's best to do what your body wants rather than doing what we think we should be doing...we don't want any setbacks if we can help it.

I'm chuffed for you managing to drive your car, another milestone Jon

Take care

Ann
 
Hey Jon, were you affected by the storm yesterday? We had widespread flooding here in south tyneside. It was fascinating to watch the rain come down and the lightening but I was so happy that we were all safe in the house whilst it was going on.
 
Hi Jon, I am just catching up, with everyone's progress.

So pleased to see you have been advised about the Paracetamol dosage. Great news about being able to drive, sorry about your wife and her disability, but with your new hip coming along nicely that must be a relief for you.

Please don't worry about needing some assistance with your mobility aids. I see it this way... There are guidelines about the timeframes for moving from one aid to the next, but in all reality only you can tell if your body is ready to go to that next stage... So listen to your self and do what is best for you..

Good progress so far and I wish you well :)
 
Hi jon I'm 16 weeks post op and still on1 crutch all the time but can drive my car which is great must admit I was really nervous at first driving but I'm fine now I think it's nerves more than anything at the beginning
I have managed to walk unaided in the pool which was great but I'm not steady enough to go fully without my crutch yet
Keep going hopefully it won't be long before you are walking unaided as I found out on this forum we are all different
Good luck
 
Thanks for all the encouragement, an Annie, here in the Pennines we didn't have much rain!....we left it all to the people further east. :) but to make up for it we do get a fair bit of snow up here in the hills during winter. While I am on I may as well tell you about something I've never had before which may well be the reult of that paracetamol...or not perhaps. When lying flat in bed if I suddenly raise myself up I get a giddy spell...only for a few moments, but I've never had that before. I also get it if I lie down quickly. Checked my blood pressure and its fine! I thought it might be too low. is this another side effect of the op.?
Forgot to add that I've had no more paracetamol. And something that will amaze you ladies..tomorrow I will be able to drive the car to the shops and do the shopping. What is amazing to you is that I actually enjoy shopping! Its a secret which you ladies have been hiding from us males for far too long!:angel:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom