THR Pain in hip after nine years.

Hey you...,,so glad you are home....believe me you are not alone with the hmmm bathroom issue....lol....good grief it's awful.,,,well. After eating everything that had the word fiber in it and eating prunes like candy i gave up and used a suppository....omg it's a godsend. ...truly try it if all else fails...try them...once I got that issue taken care of I felt really good...you sound really great so happy for you....it's good to be on the other side isn't it? :-)

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk
 
Hi @chaseyboy and @Dmcfad2 In joint class today, they said they give us a suppository in hospital.
Everyone went 'ewww', but she said just do it.
So I guess I will go with the flow so to speak. ha
Glad you gals are doing well.
 
@MajorHeidi , @chaseyboy , @Dmcfad2 , I did worse than suppositories, but I won't tell what I had to do. But it's over now. Today I went back to work and now I am pooped. Not only from work, but also from those terrible news about that landslide in Oso, which is close to where I live. The day before it happened I helped a friend survey a few miles west from there, and last summer I rode my bicycle through that area. Thank God we had other plans on Saturday, because otherwise we might have ridden our bicycles in that area.
 
Today I felt the big energy drain. I slept for about 3 hours this afternoon. This evening, I came out into the living room for a light dinner and to watch a little tv with my husband. I was feeling pretty good. I sat in our big rocker recliner for about an hour, which was a huge mistake. I couldn't get out of it by myself. It was too low, I guess, and I had been in one position so long I had stiffened up. My husband helped me get up, but it hurt and I was sore since it was time for my pain med. All of a sudden, I felt myself get all weepy. I had been doing so well, but felt very frustrated. I am now comfortable on the couch and feeling better. I also went from percocet 10 to a percocet 5 tonight to see how I do while sleeping. If it isn't enough, I'll increase my next dose again. What a roller coaster ride. I have pt coming tomorrow. I am determined to not overdo it. I continue to ice. I get to take a shower tomorrow. Maybe that will help me feel better. @glmrphy I will try the MOM with water. Thanks for the suggestion. Goodnight, all!
 
There's a fiber supplement called Benefiber that I used during my first couple of weeks. It disolves completely in any liquid, hot or cold, and doesn't have any taste at all. I added it to my tea and water three times a day. My doctor gave me a prescription for a stool softener called Doculace, and I was told to take it twice a day. Once I got past the first BM after surgery, I never had another problem. Sounds like you are doing great otherwise. My hip was very swollen for the first couple of weeks as well, but has now gotten back to almost normal. Take care. It's going to get better every day from now on.
 
@Dmcfad2 Hi There! Wanted to stop by and say hi! So glad you are doing well! From what I have read there can be many ups and downs that comes with this surgery, hang in there! Sounds like you are doing great, I appreciate you (And everyone!) documenting everything as it helps with people like me contemplating this surgery...
Each day will get better, just hang in there! Thinking of you....With warm regards, Sara
 
@Dmcfad2 - good morning & hope you are doing well today. Looks like we were one day apart and following the same path. Hope your constipation problems are disappearing - I made a huge batch of bran muffins (google Raisin Bran Cereal Muffins) and I'm going to give them credit for helping me avoid the problem this time around. Wishing you continued progress:)
 
Post op surgery day 5 I've had a great day. Had some home pt. The therapist said she can tell that I have been babying my left hip for years. I have to learn how to walk straight again. I have walked bent over a little because of the hip arthritis that would manifest itself in tightness and pain in my left thigh/quad over the last 13 years. She gave me some tips that I can work on so that I will learn to walk straight. It is all about unlearning a learned behavior!
Cutting back on pain meds last night was not good. It is still too soon. I woke up about 1am in a lot of pain. I went back to my usual dose and it made a huge difference.
I got to take a shower today and it felt wonderful. Put a fresh dressing on my incision and it is looking good, just a slight amount of bruising. I definitely took a step forward today. I have more strength in my leg and was able to lift it onto the bed with very little effort. I took a nap again this afternoon. I feel my energy wane in the early afternoon, so I just sleep. And it feels good! The swelling in my hip has gone down a little. I still ice regularly. This has been a productive day. I can't believe I had major surgery just 5 days ago. Amazing!
 
@Sfina48 Hi, Sara. Thanks for checking in with me. I am recovering well. @Briggieride How are you feeling tonight? @AndisMom @barbaranna How are things going for you after your surgeries? To all my other BS friends, thanks for all the suggestions and encouragement! I appreciate every one of you.
 
I went back to work yesterday after an absence of seven weeks. Today I feel very tired, but otherwise really great. My hip is doing so well, I almost don't think about it at all. How strange is that after such a major procedure. I took my pedometer with me to work to find out how much I actually walk. Turns out quite a bit, although I don't have an accurate measurement yet as we have 1/2 days at school this week. Half a day's work gives me three miles which includes walking during some of my lunch break. Walking is such a joy! After work I took my car in for service and instead of waiting for 45 minutes in the lounge I went for another walk. It was stormy and rainy. There was a beautiful rainbow. All that fresh air felt great. I ended up with a total of 5.4 miles for the day.
Debbie, I focussed my attention on learning how to walk normally instead of doing those PT exercises regularly. I started with smaller steps, because I wanted to walk without a limp. I could not do it with a longer stride in the beginning for the reasons that you describe. I also only did shorter walks outside, rested, and after a nap went out again for another short walk. I always iced my hip when I was resting. Then the next day I did either nothing or went only for one short walk or did my PT exercises. I tried very hard not to overdo. Eventually I increased my walking distance and my stride. On my walks I took my crutches with me, just in case, but I did not use them. I just carried them. After the second week I did not take them with me anymore. I did not pay too much attention to slight pain or discomfort, because I expected it. After all, hip replacement is major surgery and there is going to be pain. I controlled most of my pain for as long as I needed to. I found pain levels of 1-2 did not need to be medicated.
I am describing what I did not to tell you that you should do the same. It's just for information. Everyone comes up with their own idea of what works.
I wish you and all the other hippies a great recovery.
 
@Briggieride I appreciate you telling me about learning to walk properly. That is what I want to do. I know I am still very early in the process. Right now I am just trying to do a little better every day. It's interesting. I will have a great day like today, then tonight when I got off the couch to come to bed, I was so stiff and sore again. I have to remind myself that it hasn't even been a week yet. I am realizing I am not very patient. So, in the course of this whole process, I am learning patience! I am glad to hear you are doing well.
 
@Briggieride. You have done amazingly well and to go back to work at seven weeks and doing all that walking...so glad for you but do remember to take it easy too. Cheers Chrissie xx
 
@Dmcfad2. That was my big lesson too...patience! It is so hard but so worth it...at just one week you are doing brilliantly! Take care Chrissie xxx
 
Debbie
thank you for sharing all your info so detailed and consistent. For those who are slightly terrified and waiting for my may date, it makes me feel so much better to know all the details about what to expect. the unknown scares me, when I am informed I feel some power over the situation. you are doing so awesome. From watching this board it confirms how much a positive attitude plays into recoveries... our brains are powerful and good positive thoughts bring positive things... including pain reduction. I am gearing up for mine and will be able to get through this with all the amazing support of my new friends on bonesmart!:))) Stay great!!!
Jennifer
 
@psychteach Jennifer, thanks for you encouragement. I am doing these detailed accounts for myself as much as for all of the bone smarties. It is kind of my blog! One thing I have learned. I have fantastic days where I feel that I have made significant improvement (and I have). Then, the evening comes and I seem to take a step back. I get very stiff and sore. I am sure it is a result of my daytime activity. Although I am still taking it very easy, it doesn't take much to cause this to happen. Last night I could barely get myself into bed because I couldn't lift my leg, but all day long I was doing it with no problem. So, I am seeing the pattern, which makes it easier to cope with. This morning, after a full nights rest, I am good to go again. We will see what today holds in store for me!
 
@Hoppy Nanny Chrissie, Thanks for you encouragement. I see we are the same age and you had your surgery in September. How are you at this point? You must be feeling "normal". I just keep telling myself "one day at a time, girl".
 
Hi Debbie....it's definitely one day at a time...each day being different...some good not so good ! You are not even a week post op yet and seem to have done really well. Thanks for asking...I am back to normal.....'just '....mine has been a slow and steady recovery with a few hiccups along the way...LLD/ limp, etc, etc....so only just given up my one crutch for longer walks....however, I've no pain in my hip, still a little stiffness when I first raise from a chair..,but all in all ' good to go'! There is nothing I can't do that I would want to do.....so I'm very happy with the outcome...I've still got a dodgy other hip which will need doing in the future...but will leave it for now. It's a bit of a roller coaster but it's the end result that counts...and it's so right that everyone has a very different recovery. Hope yours goes from strength to strength...keep posting! Chrissie xxxx
 
@Dmcfad2 You are getting stronger and better every day.
I do thank you for documenting your story and recovery, because it really does help us all!

@Briggieride Your walking information is so very useful, too! Thank you , too.....
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom