THR Pain in hip after nine years.

Sounds like you are doing well! Hope you feel even better tomorrow! :angel:
 
@barbaranna If you are having a spinal, they will probably give you sedation through your IV so you will sleep through the op and not hear or know anything about it. Ask the anesthesiologist. That's the way they did mine, and it was just fine. Didn't know anything, then woke up clearheaded, with good pain control.

I didn't feel dopey or anything with the pain meds, just sleepy. I slept a lot the first few days at home.
 
@Dmcfad2 I had the posterio-lateral approach, too. Doc said my hips were too much of a mess to do the anterior. I didn't have much pain post-op. I was lucky (and grateful) they never let the pain get out of control like yours did. They kept up a steady dose of whatever it was in my IV. I didn't have that catheter thing for pain, just got meds. Do you have staples? I thought they would bother me, but I really wasn't aware of them, and it didn't hurt getting them out, either.

Glad you have the op behind you and can start to get better and get your life back!

Peace and love to you.
 
@Dmcfad2 Welcome to the other side!! Glad they got the pain under control. I hope each day gets better for you. Looking forward to reading all about your recovery.
 
Hi @Dmcfad2, congrats you are now an official 'hippy' :)

When you feel up to it check out the following articles, for now your job is to rest.

The following is a link to an article which provides some approximate timeframes around the healing phases and processes (and relevant nutritional information) for you to read.

Healing Phases & Nutrition

This second link is to other nutritional articles which you may find interesting.

Nutritional advice for pre op and recovery

But first the BoneSmart mantra

- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock

- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone, especially a physiotherapist to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lay down!

And then the very important hip recovery articles.....

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Activity progression for THRs
Home physio (PT)
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

Cheers, Poppet.

Disclaimer: The information on dietary factors, foods, and beverages contained in these articles does not cover all possible uses, actions, precautions, side effects, and interactions. It is not intended as medical advice for individual problems. Liability for individual actions or omissions based upon the contents of this article is expressly disclaimed. Consult a doctor or other health care professional for diagnosis and treatment of all medical conditions including the taking of supplements.
 
No, no spinal ..being put to sleep and no staples or stitches. They said the incision would be glued. I don't know how that is going to work out. I am most afraid of the blood clots. I seen the percentage looks high and for a long time you are in danger. I am scared to death of that!!
 
@Briggieride.....You really spoke the truth..don't expect our bodies to do to much to soon.....I had my surgery on 3/10....I thought yesterday I was feeling good enough to make a very short trip out with my daughter....well I was wrong....I was up last nite and not very comfortable.....I guess we do know our bodies....you will see when you leave the hospital..this healing will take some time.....I thought I was good enough to maybe try to get back into my routine....this time I will let my hip tell me and not my impatient head....rest and take it slow....:)

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk
 
Well, what a difference a day makes! Last night I woke up about midnite with excruciating pain. Nurses were right on top of it. They are just great here. They decided to change my pain med from Norco 10 to Percocet 10 and I have had minimal pain ever since! I take the Percocet every 3.5 hours and it is perfect for me. I can tell when it is time for another pill just by the amount of pain I am feeling. By taking it on time, the pain is kept at bay and that makes SO much difference! The heavy numbness in my thigh has totally gone away. I am able to do my foot pumps, leg lifts, leg slides. I have been up and walked 50 feet twice today and was shown how to go up a porch step. I also slept a lot today and feel very rested right now. I am icing my hip continuously, changing the spot every 20 minutes or so. The nurse just came in and elevated the foot of my bed. They seem to follow the BoneSmart mantra here. I was asked if I wanted aromatherapy or Cd's that play soothing music. Wow. And, to top it all off, I was finally able to triumph over constipation! :) All in all, a very good day. I know this recovery is a process and it could change again tomorrow. But, I am very pleased at my progress so far and it's only been 3 days!
 
@Dmcfad2 So glad to hear you are doing well in your recovery.
Thanks for taking time to document what you are feeling.
It sure helps us who are yet to come!
 
Wow, what a great hospital. They plan on sending me home the next day and that is something else I am worried about that I will feel not to good the next day and will be alone or not have any medical staff around to change things around for me. I don't know why they send you home so fast like that. Glad to see your doing so well
 
I'm going home. Had a good pt session this morning and I "graduated". I am thrilled to be going home, but I think I am going to miss the wonderful care I have gotten here. My thigh is a little sore today at the incision sight and I have some thigh muscle soreness, too. I will keep up my leg slides and side slides at home to strengthen those muscles. It has been years since I have been able to use those muscles the way they are meant to be used because my range of motion was so limited by my hip pain. I am anticipating a great increase in my range of motion eventually! I was able to lengthen the time between the Percocet last night without an increase in pain. Yay!
 
Congrats on "graduating" and being able to go home, @Dmcfad2 ! I'm so glad you now have your pain under control. It's just going to keep getting better and better!
 
Day 4 post-op I got home yesterday about 1 pm. Got myself all set up in the Guest room that my husband prepared for me. It is perfect. Right across the hall from the bathroom and has everything I need at my bedside. I watched TV, slept and dozed some after getting comfy. Woke up about 7. Walked out to the living room with my walker, and sat on the couch for a light dinner and some TV. My walking improves every day. I have soreness along the incision site and the side and front of thigh. I got a good look at my body in the mirror and my left hip looks huge compared to my right! Lots of swelling. I kept icing it all yesterday and most of last night. My biggest problem is constipation. I have gone 3 times now and each time was a huge ordeal, leaving me sore and exhausted. I felt faint afterwards and had to lie down. It took the better part of 30 minutes to complete the whole process and it takes so much energy that I just don't have available to me right now. I started taking milk of magnesia along with my prescribed stool softener to see if that will help, because it is VERY painful. Really the worst part of the whole thing for me thus far. Sorry for the intimate details, but it is part of my experience! My time between pain meds is lengthening, which is very encouraging. I definitely feel my leg is getting stronger every day. I got myself out of bed this morning by wiggling my foot over to the side of the bed and got back in by using my leg strap for support to get my leg back on the bed. It is about 7:30 am here in San Diego and it's going to be a great day!
 
So glad you are doing well Debbie. I have to agree that the constipation was far worse than anything! Think it causes toxins to build up and makes you feel ill as well as more pain you don't need. I got pessaries from the doctor which really helped as it inflamed the haemorrhoids as well....keep taking the stool softener, lots of fruit, fibre and veg.......hope it clears up for you honey...love Chrissie xxx
 
@Dmcfad2 Sounds like you are doing great!! I started fiber supplement yesterday per doctors orders. I didn't realize that they have fiber in pill form so I didn't have to drink stuff. Maybe that will help you too. I will say thanks for the heads up about the constipation and I will get supplies ready for that. MOM (check), stool softener(check), fiber supplement(check)!! Keep up the great work and keep us updated when you feel up to it!!
 
@Dmcfad2 , with your MOM, drink an entire glass of water when you take a dose. Trust me, it helps!
 
Back
Top Bottom