TKR Pain Behind the Knee

I "lost" a post somewhere along the way, so if similar content pops up elsewhere, let's blame it on meds. So at three weeks out, I assume from the above response that I should be continuing to take pain meds "by the clock"? I have had a really difficult day today. I think my PT was overly aggressive yesterday, so I have lots of swelling and the foot on the same side as my tkr is acting up. I had a poor outcome from a surgery on it two years ago. It is cramping, and I think some of that is from the PT. All in all, just a miserable day, a day of missing grandchildren and my yard.

So keep taking the pain meds, right? Ask my PT to back off a little, right? Know things will get better eventually, right? I don't like my life today which is highly unusual for me.
 
@pjkopks I moved your post to your own thread, so we could respond to you here, and so your history stays in one place. Yes, we’ll blame it in the meds. :heehee: I gave myself a year to blame such things on the anesthesia.:heehee:

Anyway, if you are in pain, take something. If you are running out of prescription medication, or your doctor won’t prescribe more, ask him/her about Tylenol. You can even add Tylenol with your prescriptions, if your doctor approves, and you check to see if any of your mediations have Tylenol in them (some do)

The most effective way to take Tylenol is 2 x 500 mg tablets every 6 hours, to a total of 4,000 mg (4 doses) in 24 hours. You need to take it regularly, to keep up the levels in your bloodstream. If you just take the odd dose now and then, it's far less effective.

Check all other medications you're taking, to make sure there is no Tylenol/Acetaminophen/Paracetamol in them. If there is, scale back one or two of your regular Tylenol doses, so you stay within that safe 24 hour limit of 4,000 mg.
 
There is no need for PT to cause extra pain and swelling afterwards. If it is, you are not healed enough to do whatever the PT was. Just decline to do things at PT that you don’t feel are right for you. If the PT gives you a hard time about it, find another one who will do it your way. This is your recovery, not theirs.

Saying no to therapy - am I allowed to?

People are all different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for you.“ Your doctors, PTs and BoneSmart are available to help, but you are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.
 
I will be five weeks post-op tomorrow. This recovery has been far more difficult than I anticipated. Both my surgeon and PT say I am progressing fine. Extension is pretty good, but flexion is still not great but evidently good enough no one is talking about MUA. This weekend, I had a rather sudden onset of pain behind my knee. It is severe enough I "yelp" at times. I have tried to ascertain exactly what sets it off, but that has been hard to do. It has to do with relasing after flexion to some extent. The back of my knee has hurt all along, and I had considerable contraction prior to surgery, but up to this point, the pain has been an ache, not a sharp pain. Any ideas? I will go to PT tomorrow, and I assume he can assess to some extent and let me know if I need to see my doctor. So discouraging.
 
@pjkopks
At 5 weeks post op you are going to have pain show up randomly, here, there, and everywhere. Sometimes when we do a new activity, or increase an activity we have been doing, we get a new pain, or a previous pain ramps up.

Try to relax. Tell your PT about it, I’m sure they will have a something to offer you.

By the way, I merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread, as we prefer that members in recovery have only one thread.

This benefits you because all your information is in one place, easy to find, and maintains a nice journal for you.

This also benefits our staff, as your information is all in one place, and we often go back through your thread for previous details, so we know what you‘ve been through which helps us advise you better.

So, please keep all your posts in this thread. If you’d like a new title, let us know what you want, and we’ll change it for you.

Many members bookmark their thread in their computer browser, so they can find it when they log on.
How can I find my threads and posts?

Best wishes on your continuing recovery! :flwrysmile:
 
Back
Top Bottom