Guest viewing is limited

TKR Over doing or not doing enough?

@newlybionic My issue is that I was doing well prior to surgery and have not yet surpassed that point in many regards. The main reason I did the surgery (besides having bone on bone arthritis) is that I had a lot of bone spurs that were causing my knee to lock when I would get up and down out of a chair, but I was still walking more than a mile, riding my bike 12 miles, curling, skiing, and walking down stairs without pain, although I was losing ROM quickly and I felt like I was eventually going to topple head first when walking down stairs. I think this is delaying my emotional recovery and why I can't say I'm happy yet. It also means I am no where near ready to start thinking about doing my other knee yet (I am hoping for a couple of years). My right bone-on-bone knee is strong still and no bone spurs, although it is getting more crooked every year. I also think that my recovery, while far from perfect, has been easier than some people's because my overall fitness level didn't deteriorate over too many years (maybe three). I was pretty strong going into the surgery. And knowing that I would eventually need two TKRs, I thought better to do one now and get it as strong as possible before doing the second. Walking down stairs is much more painful and harder now than it ever was before surgery. And the overall pain is still a little worse, too. BUT, no more locking, and my leg is straight! YAY! Intellectually, I know the last of my issues will resolve in time, but emotionally there is that nagging doubt.
 
The emotional part just seems to be the hardest for all of us. I beginning to think the OS offices should employ a psychologist to help us through all of this. :heehee:

You made a very informed decision to have your surgery done. I know it's hard when you feel you're worse of than before but you did point out a few things that are better and would have started to lead to decreasing ability to do the things you want to do. Hang in there. We are here for you.
 
@Wanttobebiking - Hang in there, my friend.. I still can't go down very easily at all.. and still have pain. Yup.. I'm getting tired of it too. But.. I'm better than I was 2 weeks ago, especially going UP stairs.. I find that it helps if I try to look at the BIG picture (across weeks at a time) rather than at the details. My knee still REALLY hurts getting out of the car every morning after driving about an hour.. I get out and HOBBLE for first several steps. That to me is even more frustrating than the stairs.. I guess my real message is that my surgery was on the same day as yours and I'm dealing with much of the same .... want it to be DONE already!!!! Keep remembering you're making progress, even though it is SSSSLLLLLOOOOOOWWWWWWEEEEEEERRRRRRRRR than you'd like. (That's what I'm telling myself too.. ) :yes:
 
@newlybionic Yes, of course, it should be the three of us, with our triplet knees. What time was your surgery? My knee might be the older triplet (7 am).
@Braunzie What time was your surgery? I'm trying to see which of the three of us is oldest and which is youngest.

@Celle Thanks for the article! Good reminder.
 
I had the same issue with being able to walk, etc before surgery. But, I had a bone spur catching and the OS said I was in danger of falling and breaking a hip! Scared me :holysheep: My "other" knee was the one that has been painful for 5 yrs but on Xray it does not look bad. Go figure. So, all that to say, I'm with you on not sure I'm happy that I chose to have this surgery! I feel like I "traded the devil for the witch"!
 
OK.. we are a TEAM!.. (Had to put something first before I tagged everyone on the latter part of this thread so I didn't disturb the moderators.. - who we REALLY appreciate! :D ) Wanttobebiking, newlybionic , Thesoutherncook ... Yes!!! We'll walk down that long stairway together!!!
We'll have to find a midway point to meet, but somewhere nice and warm in the winter wouldn't be too bad!!
I'm "down with that".. (as my girls' would say - what happened to "up with that"????!!!) San Diego sounds good!!! :D - That's "midway" to something, right?? :rotfl:)

My surgery was actually at about 12:30pm... (and I was home by 5:30ish)...but thesoutherncook is CLEARLY "the baby".. :yes!:

@newlybionic - sorry you are not sleeping well. I have been very fortunate to have crossed that bridge.. I'll have to check your thread.. It will come!

@Thesoutherncook - you'll be glad for the surgery.. It will come.. have faith.. that is what I'm holding on to as well.. :friends:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
(Had to put something first before I tagged everyone on the latter part of this thread so I didn't disturb the moderators.. - who we REALLY appreciate! :D )
Braunzie, you're missing the point a bit. The staff is never disturbed by doing our duties here on the forum. We expect to read posts, offer helpful support or advice and sometimes let folks know when rules are violated.

Our rule pertaining to the use of multiple tags doesn't just apply to the beginning of a post. We really can't have them anywhere as the tend to clog up the small screens for our many members who use their mobile devices to access BoneSmart. It's really not necessary. As long as it's not a huge number of people you're addressing, you can just type their usernames and leave off the tags. I've changed this post for you so it reads that way. These folks are following you and they will see your post. The tagging you did at the end of your post is exactly what we hope members will do....a single tag with comments to that person following it.

I think it's great you guys are planning to meet. Here's hoping it all works out. Of course we'll want photos!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom