THR Over and Up!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there, just read your thread. Sounds like you are doing ok, though you saying "recovery is not for the feint of heart" did make me laugh. I am with you on that one. Recovery is not a straight line, that is for sure. I am a month behind you, just had a revision of a hip done 1 1/2 yrs ago. It is a journey for sure. Keep posting and talking about it. This is truly the place to be understood.

Hope you had a nice holiday
Cathy
 
Hi, Cathy -- @VThereandnow

I am indeed wobbling along, with a nice truce between me and my hip. I don't push it too hard (actually I baby it), and it mostly sees fit to behave. So much preferable to how it was treating me before!

I did indeed have a wonderful holiday with my kids and my husband and his extended family. We're over in a part of the state (Eastern Oregon) this week where it's frigid and there's quite a bit of ice and snow on the ground. I brought my Microspikes and have only ventured out to the car and back a few times. The last thing I want to do is fall. The prospect is terrifying, even if this new hip is tough. I am sure you understand with your Vermont location! Anyhow, the people portion of this week has been wonderful. There are six kids running around between the ages of 2 and 13, and they get along fabulously. We lucky parents get to relax a little!

I need to go read your story, but will ask anyway-- what prompted your revision? What have been the challenges (or good side, if possible) of doing this recovery twice? I know people do what needs to be done, but I bet you have earned all sorts of gold stars for your journey. I admire all the strong people here.

Thanks for posting! I look forward to reading about your journey... :-)

Take care! I hope your day was wonderful, too...

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk
 
[Bonesmart.org] Over and Up!
Hope you and yours have had a wonderful Christmas holiday with lots of family fellowship and sharing of gifts and lots of good food to eat.


I’ll be looking for you at the BoneSmart annual New Year’s Party. It’s been a very eventful year for most of us---and will be a very eventful year coming up for others of us looking forward to surgery in the new year.


Remember to bring food and drink to share---and pictures are always appreciated and loads of fun to share.


SEE YOU AT THE PARTY!!!!!
[Bonesmart.org] Over and Up!
bottomshollow
 
Got my other hip replacement scheduled... Four weeks from now, I should be on my way to recovering! Yippee! Now to figure out how to change my .sig file via this app! May have to log on to the real computer... Ha!
 
Wow, I am in awe! Having the other one done already? How is the first one feeling? I see I never answered your question about my revision. I'd be interested to hear a bit more of how your feeling and getting around if you have the inclination.

After almost 1 1/2 years of complaining I went to another doctor who ordered a bone scan that determined my cup was loose. The revision was of the ball and socket. My first surgery gab me an inch leg length difference which pretty much screwed up my already tentative back ugh! I am at 7 weeks into the initial 12 wks of bone growth into the new socket. I am just trusting it is now growing in the way it is supposed to. This recovery feels better than first, but time will tell.

Take care and so glad for you to be getting so close to getting over the next hurdle.
Cathy
 
Hi Cathy and Chrissie and everybody--

I am doing pretty well; that is, I think I am tracking well for my recovery of the first hip. I started to overdo it a few weeks ago, and was "rewarded" with a limp that made me waddle again in both directions. I have since backed way off, re-introduced the ice pack and told myself that it really is fine to not test a Bonesmart mantra limit ;-). It's just hard to know when "enough is enough" when some activities don't cause discomfort until well after the fact.

I go to PT once a week, and a good portion of that time is spent with the therapist using a funny little tool (part of the ASTYM protocol) to massage my scar to try to break up the mass of scar tissue that has formed. She says that preventing adhesions later is a good thing. I think that it feels nice (in a painful sort of way-- no comments from the peanut gallery, please!), and short of an actual massage, it seems to be helping. On my off days, I pretend to be exercising by riding the stationary bike with basically no resistance-- just enough to keep my legs from freewheeling out of control. I long for the days when I can ride outside, but have told myself to just be patient. I don't think that'll be in the cards for a while!

We're having a very bright winter here in the gray part of the state, and I think that's helping my outlook. I had to officially unhook from a volunteer position that would have had me out on the trails and slopes from November-June, and that was hugely difficult on so many levels. One, I don't like giving up, even when reality smacks me upside the head; two, I really love this program. It keeps me mentally balanced, and I volunteer with some amazing people; and three, there's always that little irrational fear that says maybe I have climbed my last peak. It's so hard to get and maintain that level of fitness, and I wonder if I have it in me to return. But like I said, the sunshine we've had this season has made it easier to not harp on "what-ifs."

Finally, the time is right to get this other one done. It likes to crack very audibly and repeatedly whenever I put full weight on it (and I wobble and lose balance-- it think it is doing its little "not seating itself in the socket" thing that can come with shallow sockets. It just never used to be so loud! It aches, and I am back to hating to turn over in bed. It's already bone-on-bone, and I don't want to ride the pain train any more. I made the mistake of waiting too long for the first replacement, and Just. Am. Done.

Thanks for bearing with me on this rant! I realize that truly, I have little to complain about, but the recovery just will take some more time yet.

I am glad, Cathy, that you're finally being heard. Of course, I am very sorry that a) it took a year and a half of speaking up; and b), that the loosening is happening at all. That just is no fun. I hope your drum circle is a great distraction!

Take care, all--

@VT_hereandnow @hoppy_nanny
 
I meant to say, "that the loosening happenED at all," Cathy. I think revisions take bravery, even when you know they'll ostensibly correct the problem! Listen to your body-- that you say this recovery is already tracking better than the last makes me believe that your new bone is growing just fine :-). But that's just a hunch. I hope it's true!

Tagging your name correctly this time... @VThereandnow
 
So... just to note it for myself (and maybe get an attagirl?), I was able to do almost a complete little hike today. I stopped when I got into the slush and my other hip said, "No more!" But it was a good test for my new hip. I was by far the slowest in the group, carefully picking my way up and down the hill and evaluating just about every step I took (paranoid much?), but it felt great to get my lungs and heart going again. No doubt that I need this upcoming surgery, but so, so pleased with a huge step forward for the left side.

Angel's Rest in the Columbia River Gorge for those local to the PNW. Beautiful environment, even in today's rain :-).

Next up: Pre-op appointment at the hospital this week. Onward!
 
:yay: Way to go MountainGirl!! Now you know that your hiking days are not over and when the 2nd hip is healed up you'll be back doing what you love to do! And yes that is a beautiful area even in the rain .
 
I'm through the gauntlet! All dopey and tired, with supplemental oxygen, but comfortable and so, so pleased to have this surgery done. Thank you to all the Bonesmarties who share their perspectives -- I have learned so much and think so much of each and every one of you. No, that isn't the drugs talking ;-).

More later after I have done something to merit a report.

Take care!
 
Still very prone to nodding off and drooling, but my first several hours with hip #2 has been great! My face itches a little, but I hope it goes okay. I am still on supplemental oxygen, but I have weaned to 1 liter. The nurse let me walk to the bathroom with no assistive devices, but I know that once I am home and don't have the huge cocktail of "Wheeeeee!", I will be back to my crutche. It just feels likes huge relief at the moment!

Ack, I am starting to really itch! Hmm... May call the nurse in a few.

As if the last stay wasn't good enough,they've moved to a full-on room service menu. Too bad I am not very hungry (though I am eating prunes like mad in order to not repeat my full week of no-go last time)! I even have a tri-fold menu customized to my gluten-free needs. And I can order real coffee; espresso, even! Coffee helps you go, right? (I am trying to justify bad habits ;-) ).

My kids and husband have come and gone, and they have me convinced that the house is still standing. This is good...

My black-stained bones made another appearance, and this time I have photo evidence! Can I post it here, or would it gross people out? Input, please :-).

Love to you all...
 
Go ahead and post it----we love all kinds of pic here on the forum!:heehee:
 
It's late, and I have some bonus loopy- making Benadryl on board, but here 'tis, the ugly femoral head:
[Bonesmart.org] Over and Up!
 
Yes, it was burnished to a shiny level, and the dark marks at the bottom really are deposits from the long-term use of minocycline, an antibiotic for acne. My surgeon presented me with this picture in a protective sleeve-- maybe I should ask him to autograph it later this morning?? ;-)

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk
 
Level= yellow. Darn autocorrect!

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk
 
Hi Congratulations on the second hip! Sounds like you are doing well. Er...thanks for posting the pic. I was eager to see and scared at the same time! Awful what that drug did to your bone. Now I wonder what mine looked like but it must have been minced up for bone grafts by now as I signed a form for bone donation.
Enjoy the rest of your day and keep taking the medicine!
Very best, Gill
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom