Out Patient Total Knee Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a knee scope today at an outpatient surgical center. The nurse mentioned the hospital is looking into to doing outpatient TKR's there. She said if it was her she would rather be in a hospital where she could get I.V. painkillers if needed after 24 hrs.
 
I personally would not feel comfortable with a TKR being out patient surgery. First thing that comes to mind is that you can get better pain control at the hospital. TKR is major surgery. I want to be monitored! After my first knee replacement my heart went into a-fib and I'm glad I was in the hospital for that!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Everyone is different, some stay one night, others stay a few days then go home or to a rehab facility. IMHO, I think at least one night is safer to make sure you're alert, walking at least to the restroom, your pain meds are working and you aren't suffering any after effects from the surgery. Many people wake from surgery and feel fine so think they sailed through with no aftereffects, then the first night or second day hits like a hammer. My advice to you is to plan for a short stay of at least one night and know that sometimes things happen and you might need a little more time to be ready to go home. Don't try to be a hero so you can say you went home right away; instead listen to your body after the surgery and let that be your guide.
 
Don't try to be a hero so you can say you went home right away; instead listen to your body after the surgery and let that be your guide.

All well and good, but the bottom line decision is up to the OS; and mine did not give me a choice. TKR surgery at 07:30 and home by 13:00 the same day; and I've been doing better and better, one day at a time, ever since. :ice:
 
@DUTCH Then I'd have chosen an OS who understands that everyone is different. If a patient is amazingly well and ready and able to go home, then send them home; however, if a patient is a little slower recovering, keep them a day or two longer. One who says you have no choice and you go home the same day is inflexible and not caring for their patients properly, IMO.
 
I chose my surgeon based on his surgical skills and his successful and happy patient outcomes. Fwiw, I agreed 110% with his decision for me to go home the same afternoon as the surgery. This being my third go round with him influences my feelings about him. He certainly knows both his capabilities and mine by now.

If I can't trust my surgeon, or any of my docs for that matter, I need to find one that I do.
 
Are you saying your OS only does same day outpatient surgery? And since you liked the idea, do you really know what he would have said if you didn't feel comfortable with it? The fact that my surgeon said I would spend overnight in the hospital and then we would talk about whether I should go home made me trust him, so I get your point. Glad you are having a good outcome.


Pineapple
LTKR 2/2/16
RTKR Scheduled for approximately 5/15/16
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom