Guest viewing is limited

THR Onward, forward for NextStep

Yesterday was slow-paced, and pain levels were reasonable. Of necessity, I use a cane rather than my walker in some of the tight areas of my home, such as within the bathroom. It's getting easier.
Part of the reason for such a slow day yesterday, was the significant demand physically on Monday. A team of two came to remove some brush which had been cut down for me that first week of recovery. I did not volunteer to help, but did need to walk outside, maneuver the walker down four steps to get from porch to sidewalk, , and then go from front yard to back yard. Then it was back inside, repeat once (this time walking on the grass instead of around by the cement drive).
After a rest, I had to get myself together for a doctor's appointment at the hospital. Complete the requisite walking from front desk to the right office, back out, and home again to well-earned rest. I survived, intact! But yes, I was sore and knew I'd pushed.
 
Hopefully you had some restorative rest overnight and you’re feeling better today.
this time walking on the grass instead of around by the cement drive).
Please be careful of walking on this uneven terrain until you’re steadier on your feet. There is also the possibility of catching your foot in a hole of one of the burrowing critters, causing a trip, or worse yet a fall. Stay safe! :wink:

I hope you have a wonderful Wednesday and rest of the week!
 
Yes, @Layla , I am super careful when on uneven terrain, and only with the walker. It had become risky even with the cane before surgery, though I needed to still be out there a bit. For now I have someone lined up to mow the yard at least through July, and we'll see where I am, by the time August rolls around. My guess is I'll be asking a neighbor or friend for help the rest of this season, especially when I think of the little hill at the back.
 
An odd question: Does anyone else find that pain can be well controlled through the afternoon, then ramp up without any additional activity or demands, say around 8 p.m.?
That's happened several days, enough to prevent sleep until the wee hours. And normally I'm one who likes to hit the hay around 10, give or take 30 minutes. (The one night pain prevented sleep till 6 a.m., but more often it's between 1 and 3 when it settles down.)
 
@NextStep I have had a few restless nights, but nothing like you described. Coming off my pain meds the night of July 11, after not having taken any meds since 4 PM on July 10, I started trying to go to sleep about 1 AM, but I was restless and could not settle down. Then I spent the hour between 2 and 3 AM screaming and wailing very loudly periodically while experiencing withdrawal. Thank goodness I live alone except for Willabelle. I did not taper off properly when quitting the pain meds as I did last time. After I ate a small bowl of Michele’s Lemon Pistachio Granola with a little almond milk on it, I was able to go to sleep a little after 3 and slept until 9. I slept very well last night. I don’t know if it was because I was so tired from the night before or because I used some CBD oil. Whichever it was, I felt more rested this morning.

i hope that you‘re able to get consistent restful sleep more nights than not.
 
Thanks, @wander03 - I'm trying to let the pain level dictate the meds at this point within reason. Today I've been able to back off during the day. This evening my knee is aching more, the hip a little less than it had been over the weekend. The gal who is covering for me has had a family emergency late last week, so tomorrow if I'm up to it, I'll help out with what I can do from home. Just so that between us, we can be prepared for the weekend. (If I can even put in four hours, things should be in a good place this week.)
 
@NextStep While I was taking pain meds, I took them on a schedule because guidelines say not to let the pain get ahead. Once there is pain, it is difficult to catch up with it. I hope you are able to stay ahead of it.

It is very thoughtful of you to try to help out by working at home a few hours. Since you’re talking about four hours or so, perhaps you will be able to work for a short while at a time and take frequent breaks. That doesn’t work for me. When I get involved in what I‘m doing, it’s difficult for me to break away. Yesterday, I told the man I work with that it is going to be a bit longer before I start working again. I sat in my office chair for a short while yesterday, and my operated hip was none too happy. I work from my home office all the time, but right now I am most comfortable sitting in my lift chair reclined. I don’t want to compromise my long-term recovery by starting back to work too soon. When I do these posts, I’m sitting in my lift chair with my legs elevated, writing on my iPad Pro. When I’m working. I need to be in my office so that I can use the computer key board. Each situation is different. Since I’m an independent contractor, my situation is different than that of most people who work.

I did not take any CBD oil yesterday or last night, and I slept from about 1:50 AM until 12:25 PM, a good 10 1/2 hours last “night” with getting up for the bathroom only once. I suppose the area around the incision is still swollen some because it feels like a saddle bag or some such thing on my thigh. It moves around when I walk. I don’t remember that from last time, but it probably happened then, too. Although it does not seem to be making much difference with the swelling around the incision, the swelling in my ankle seems to have abated a great deal with keeping my feet elevated, so I plan to continue what I’m doing. I think I need to be more consistent with icing the incision area. That will probably do more to help reduce the swelling.
 
I work part-time in two separate roles, and for both I technically work as independent contractor, with a good bit of freedom as to schedule, breaks and such. Thankfully portions can be completed from home, even sitting in my recliner with my feet up.
So although I'd not committed to returning to work this week, I think it went well to do what i could remotely. We shall see how next week goes.
Now I confess that although I was able to take a nice long rest in the afternoon, I may have joined the ODIC ranks this afternoon. I'd been so anxious to get outside for a while, and had only had the company of my four-legged friend for Tuesday and Wednesday. When a friend was able to go for a walk with me, I enjoyed the company and the fresh air enough that I likely went farther than was prudent. I walked the full length of my block and back!
Honestly, I sure did enjoy the fresh air and the opportunity to photograph some beautiful flowers.
Friday I will go for my post-op visit with the OS, and otherwise try to take it easy.
 
We've all been members of the ODIC so welcome to the group.
It is boring and especially when you are alone for a few days.
Good luck with your doctor visit, rest, ice and I'm sure you will be back at it in no time.
 
What a day! I'm worn out. I feel like I've been on the go since 10 this morning.
Where to begin? This morning it seems I was no worse for the wear with yesterday's walk, so although pain ramped up in the evening, it was short lasting.
This afternoon I saw my surgeon. X-rays and incision looked good, he said. I've got an all clear to increase walking distance as tolerated, and he's willing to order PT if or when I feel it would be helpful but believes walking is sufficient for most. I can return to work when I feel ready. Same with driving.
I'll see him again in 4 weeks.
Overall, it was a great report looking forward! I did ask at the end what he'd seen in surgery, how things had looked. Well. That was interesting! Evidently I had an unusual presentation re: my "cup" of the joint, it was more of an external rotation than most have, plus there was sort of a thick bony growth behind. Add in "large" bone spurs that in at least one case required a chisel for removal...fun times!
 
Tonight I'm surprised by two things. First, how big a difference this week has made. I feel like there have been some big steps forward, and I know that those big steps will slow down in the days ahead.
Then the other thing is how tired I feel tonight. It's not just physical, but emotionally as well, hearing for the first time from my surgeon exactly what he'd found when he went in, and even getting a good report on progress -- I think it is both a shock on sensing how surprised he seemed to be at the things he found, and relief that I am permitted to move forward as tolerated in several areas (including driving).
Now, just to get it "out there", I want to say -- I'm a little afraid of trying to move to quickly. Yet I can hear something someone said in the pre-op area: "Just because you can doesn't mean you should." That rings true to me.
 
I'm a little afraid of trying to move to quickly. Yet I can hear something someone said in the pre-op area: "Just because you can doesn't mean you should." That rings true to me.
Totally agree with that...

It does look like you are recovering well @NextStep !

although pain ramped up in the evening, it was short lasting.
Aha, didn't go through the doors of the ODIC! Good news!
I too have been avoiding it ....
 
Day 18: Mentally I say this is still very early in recovery. Yet the doc said I can progress as tolerated, so somehow that FEELS so much more like "you can get back to normal as long as you don't cross your legs or violate the 90 degree limit yet". Limits were so much more strict with elbow surgery this spring.

And yet reality hits--I'm aching so much today. Was it due to lifting walker in and out of vehicle multiple times yesterday with doctor appointment and lunch? Maybe due to being up, out of the house for nearly five hours total? Or would it just be a tough day no matter what I'd done?

I do know any work next week will be working from home. And hours will be limited.
 
Lost my balance today, and *almost* fell. Instead I was able to catch myself, though I stubbed my toe on my cane in the process. Thought I might have broken it but it seems okay. Needless to say, I rested with feet up most of the day.
 
Whoa! glad you were able to stay on your feet and hopefully the toe is okay. Smart decision to rest and elevate for the remainder of the day.
 
Weebles wobble, but they don’t fall down. :wink: Remember those silly little toys? :heehee:
Thankfully you stayed upright! I’ll bet your heart skipped a beat.
I’m sorry you hurt your toe, maybe a little icing will help?
I hope you have a good week! :)
@NextStep
 
Thank goodness you didn't fall!
Try and take it easy, I know we all want to get back to real life quickly as possible but you do need to heal.
I had super busy Thursday and I knew I was going to have very busy weekend that just passed so on Friday I did what I absolutely needed to get done and then hit the couch and watched my shows.
My GF came over around 3 and we shared a pizza and salad on the deck.
She left about 5:30, I cleaned up and went and laid on my bed and watched Netflix on my laptop.
Your body just tells you..."not today"
I told another friend I get up and I decide what I'm going to do (or not do) each day. LOL!
 
Good news, the toe appears no worse today.
I'll head out for routine labs today. First time driving, first independent outing (beyond my yard) since surgery. Then tomorrow I have a routine appointment with my doctor, so if today goes well I'll do that one on my own too.
This seems quick, just under three weeks since surgery! Thankfully I'll only get in and out of the car once while out, each day.
 
Tomorrow I'm supposed to remove the outer bandage, not steri-strips. Somehow this makes me a little nervous, to actually see what's under the white bandages and waterproofing. Goofy, isn't it?
I just searched on steri-strips to see who else has them and found your post. I am a little nervous about them too. My dr said they will fall off when they are ready but the day he removed my Aquacel banaged and put on steri-strips (July 15) I had bleeding that night so I covered it with a bandage to avoid getting blood on everything. I took that bandage off last night (July 17) to see if the steri-strips are still ok and they are stained but still holding on. I am wondering if I am supposed to be washing that area or leaving it alone. I guess I will call the dr today. I wish they would give a handout at discharge with all these questions answered. We cannot be the only ones having these questions. So what happened when you removed your steri-strips?
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom