THR One yr post THR with ongoing pain - MRI report included

I’m so sorry to hear you’re still having problems. Did you ever get additional opinions regarding what’s going on with your hip pain? I’m like you that I would think twice before having the psoas release.

Since you’re looking for a lot of advice, this might be a good time to consider joining the Insiders Club. Without this expanded access to the forum articles and our staff, you are limited to doing searches of threads to read and hoping other members may see your post and comment. Once you are subscribed to the forum’s premium services, you have full access and can count on rapid responses to your concerns and questions. The small subscription fee we ask for this access is what keeps BoneSmart available for everyone.

I wish the best for you as you try to decide on a next step.
 
Thank you, I met with another orthopedic surgeon amd he also did not feel there was anything wrokg with the implant. I'll look into the insiders club. I'm desperate to find someone who has had this procedure.
 
@RPDX24 Gee, I'm so sorry that you are still struggling with this. It's been a little while but if you recall, I had a complete release of my iliopsoas tendon. In review: I had ongoing groin pain. My OS believed it was tendonitis but injection only gave me temporary relief. An xray showed the components were fine and aligned but there was a small cup overhang proving to be the problem that was irritating the IP tendon. Release or revision were my choices. An OS who did partial releases was reluctant to do mine because he thought it was too early in my recovery. Even with the arthroscopic procedure, the recovery was 6 weeks and then PT, which didn't sound the greatest. I didn't want to have another major surgery (revision,) so I was at an impasse. My OS eventually touched base again and came up with another OS (outside his practice) that he thought could help me but revision was still an option for me. This referral proved to be the solution I was looking for and we did a complete release, arthroscopically, 9 months after my THR.

All of the tests, etc. can get complicated but I was done being in pain and being limited by it. I wanted to get back to my life so I went for it. Getting second opinions are always wise, especially if you have doubts but eventually it comes down to you making a decision and taking action that moves you forward. Best wishes as you continue to work through this. I would really encourage you to consider becoming an Insider so you can access the wealth of information here and get the wonderful ongoing support of the advisors. They have been invaluable to me on my journey. Blessings.
 
Thank you sooooo much for your thoughtful response. I think I will join to have more access. May I ask, are you pain free -and do you have limitations? I am a (52m)cyclist and avid hiker. I’m so scared of further complications from doing a full release. I can’t walk 1/4 mile without pain. Laying down flat is the only thing that provides relief.

The MRI shows close contact with the Psoas and the collar. It is causing a kink in the Psoas, edema and tendonosis. I have lower back/upper glute pain as well. Part of me is concerned there is an implant issue. I just need to have hope and a healing mind-set. My appointment is next week with the Arthroscopic surgeon. I didn’t think it was the Psoas because I can climb stairs now and get in and out of a car without much pain.

Thanks again,
Eric
 
We'd love to support you as an Insider!
I wish you luck with your appointment next week and hope you find relief soon. I will tag @Hip4life
for you so she doesn't miss answering your question next time she's on the forum.
I hope you have a pleasant weekend, Eric.
@RPDX24
 
@RPDX24 I can understand your feelings about all of this at this time. I remember the panic and disappointment when each "solution" didn't pan out. The psoas being the likely suspect seems to be a common thread in your posts. Hopefully, your appointment with the arthroscopic OS will give you the information that will help you make a decision. With the tendon rubbing against the cup, I found my symptoms varied with when and how much the tendon did so according to my activity. One other thing I can attest to is that once my tendon was released, a lot of my back issues improved and I could actually stand up completely straight again. I hadn't even noticed that I was always slightly bent forward to compensate for the pain. Best wishes for your appointment. :fingersx: Keep us posted.
 
Hi,

How do i become an insider. I need to talk to people further about the PSOAS release.

Thank you
 
I met with the surgeon. He would only consider a full release not a partail. The CT scan showed there is no issue with the impamt or surrounding bone. Are you pain free and can you do thinks like hike, bike and work pain free? I have lower back issues and feel like I'm pulled forward as well. But, it concerning that I have tsmdon issues on the left side including glutes and hamstrings as I think they will compensate for the Psoas. So?!? I feel like this is my last option. The tendon has a kink innit and has thickened and In a degenerative state. What was your recovery like?

Thank you so much!! I don't know anyone who has had this procedure.
 
Thank you, I joined. Should I write a new thread somewhere? I would love to chat with the staff member that had the full release. Anyone that has had this procedure would be incredibly helpful.

Thank you
 
@RPDX24 Hello! Here I am! Thanks for becoming an Insider so we can give you the support you need. The OS I was referred to also only did complete release. He explained that is what he considered for all of his post THR patients. His reasoning: it eliminated the chance that the tendon would heal improperly and then you’d be back to square one. He further explained that other muscles would compensate and fill in the functions of the Psoas so there should be little to no decrease in strength. The other advantage was little down time and no PT to recover. The op was outpatient, arthroscopic, and took about 20 mins. It took longer to get me prepped than the procedure took. Lol.

I used my cane the first 24 hours just for comfort but after that I was walking unaided. I was a bit sore for a few days, understandable for surgery, even “minor.” My doc said I could go back to work in a week, if I felt up to it. It was a physically demanding job so I took a bit over 2 weeks. I was finally able to move again without that pain. It took about 3 months for me to regain all my strength from having to hold back before the release because of pain. Let’s see: walking, hiking, biking, swimming, camping, fishing (including scrambling up and down rocky banks) kayaking, getting in and out of regular boats…am I missing anything? Lol. I only have a slight decrease in ACTIVE ROM when bringing my knee up above my waist or my ankle onto opposite leg to put on my sock. It doesn’t limit me in any significant way as my list above attests. And, as I think I’ve mentioned before, I can stand fully erect when walking now-not pulled slightly forward. Didn’t even notice I was doing that until I didn’t anymore.

Anything else you would like specifics on that I missed, please don’t hesitate to ask. Just tag me: @Hip4life Blessings, Pat.
 
Wow, that's amazing. Do you notice any imbalances or fear future complications? During this time I've developed Glute and hamstring tendonitis as well. My Df was surprised while the oain has increased I have gained hip flexor strength. Stairs and getting in and out of my car is not an issue. But pain kicks in after a block or tow of walking my dog.

So you did or didn't do PT? I was reading the rehab was long and difficult. Did you have any issues with lower back/upper glute pain on the side of the impingement? I started to use Chat GBT to
Understand the imaging I am having a lot of trouble trusting my surgein. I think my psoas was an issue heading into the THR that wasn't caught. This was the summary of the last MRI:

  • Persistent moderate iliopsoas tendinosis
  • Peritendinous edema (ongoing inflammation around the tendon)
  • Focal kinking/indentation of the iliopsoas tendon at the level of the medial calcar collar
  • Close contact between iliopsoas tendon and acetabular cup (mechanical impingement)
  • Decreased conspicuity of a prior tendon split (chronic soft tissue damage)
  • Focal rent in the anterior pseudocapsule → small volume of joint fluid decompressing through it
  • No acute periprosthetic fracture or implant loosening (hardware is stable — points to soft tissue as the issue)
  • Asymmetric atrophy and fatty infiltration of hip external rotators (muscle Peritendinous edema (ongoing inflammation around the tendon)
Your experience with this is so important to me. I've read about outcomes that are less than ideal.

Eric
 
I'm tagging @Hip4life for you to make sure she gets your message.

Best Wishes as you make decisions and move forward.
@RPDX24
 
@RPDX24 Eric, as you know, and have experienced, there are no guarantees, nor can there be, in the medical world. Having worked in that world, I completely understand it from both sides. It’s hard not to get too caught up in the minutiae of analysis when we’re trying to make a decision that we want to be certain of. Sometimes it comes down to "all else being equal, the simplest solution is most likely the best" (Occam's Razor) and a leap of faith. You've done your due diligence although it concerns me that you are having trouble trusting your surgeon v chatbot. I'm not a physician but from just scanning your report, it does seem to point to an ongoing issue with your psoas. There is other stuff there, too, but as one doc told me about my MRI, we need to concentrate on this main problem causing your worst symptoms and then work our way from there, as needed. BTW: that MRI was for a different issue, in a different hip. I only had an xray and my symptoms for a diagnosis of my THR op side tendon impingement, confirmed by steroid/anesthetic injection.

I did NOT have to do PT. As the tendon was completely released off of and at the location of the lesser trochanter, there was nothing to "rehab." I can't speak to a partial release except for what I was told with a different consultant who did that procedure. He told me I would be on crutches for 6 weeks to allow the tendon to heal and then do PT. In that procedure, the tendon, up by the hip capsule, has some of its fibers cut to allow it to lengthen so it is no longer impinging the cup. Releasing the tension, as it were. He was very clear it was more complicated and wasn't too keen on doing it at the stage of recovery I was at (less than a year out.) In that light, I decided I needed to look for another answer.

I have not had any imbalances that I can point to as a result. I also do not fear any future complications. My arthroscopic OS for the tendon release is a well-respected surgeon here in the area and was very confident that it would be a rarity to have any deficit due to the release. I have found that to be true 5+ years later. I have back/neck arthritis but those issues haven't seemed to be affected by having had my tendon released with the exception that my lower back pain at the time improved right after. I maintain my physical activity and fitness to maximize my over-all health. I also try not to go down the rabbit hole of "what ifs."

I chose to have the release because I was in pain and very limited in some of my physical activities. That wasn't acceptable. There are always risks but the promise of getting on with my life, out weighed those risks. The procedure was fairly "simple" and straightforward, also minimizing the risks. None of us can predict the future but I chose a less pain-filled present. That's what it comes down to for you, Eric. What is the quality of life that you want and what will help get you there? You've done the research. Choose a skilled surgeon you have confidence in. Choose what will work for you now. You're the only one who can decide that for yourself. Except, now you know of others who have made the same decision and come out on the other side okay. Keep us posted. Pat.
 
Thank you, I have my consult July 2ne. Since my surgery 18 months ago. As soon as I walk beyond a couple of blocks the pain increases. I can't bike at all and I can not go back to my career of choice. I guess I feel as though my Psoas may have been a main driver of my original pain that led to THR althtough the pain was different in many ways.

The original injection 6 months post-op into my Psoas did nothing for me. That could be the part that gives me pause. For the first 6 months I had to lift my leg into a car and it was difficult to navigate inclines and stairs. I think my Dr was surprised to see I gained strength and mobility. I just know what the imaging shows, I know the increase of pain with activity. The lower back/glute pain and feeling that my upper body is being pulled especially on the surgical side is ongoing. If the pain was soley isolated to the groin then I feel it would be a more clear indicator. I feel pain when sitting for a pro longed period of time and can not stand for more than a couple of minutes. With my insurance this surgeon is my only option. He seems to be well respected and has a good reputation. I think I feel a little traumatized and I've lost trust in my own judgment around this.

Thanks again
 
Hi,

I am having an issue trying to tag Hip4life. I just wanted to share info from my appointment. My surgeon does not know if this is an isolated PSOAS issue due to my symptoms. I want to just share my symptoms with you at the 18-month post THR.

- When walking my pain first starts near the groin area. It quickly will shoot to my upper glute and lower back area. Any prolonged sitting, standing and walking will provoke discomfort to the level I need to lay down.

He does not feel this is a slam dunk situation as he is concerned there could be more going on.Bit imaging does not show anything clearly pointing to anything else. I can bring my knee in them upon extension I will feel a light clicking which provokes pain shooting to my lowe back. When I first had surgery I could not climb stairs and had to pull my leg into my car. Over months that became significantly better to the point it does not bother me:

At this time he still is suggesting a full release and I have agreed to move forward. I am terrified there is something going on and this is not just a psoas issue. The CT scan shows the implant is positioned well and no signs of loosening or fluid. It just seems strange to me that I have improved strength in my psoas. Nothing seems straightforward at all. But, I am only 52 and can not continue like this.

My research indicates that glute and lower back issues are not uncommon with psoas impingement. Yet, when I asked him he simply said “Possibly” I have developed tendinitis in my glute that has happened over time. I would love to get your feedback and compare symptoms. I've exhausted conservative care and need a path to healing.

I so appreciate your time!

He also said due to the length of time I have been dealing with this that I most likely would know quickly if it worked or could take up to 6 weeks. I am terrified that this will not improve and I am commiting to another surgery that is irreversible. .

Best, Eric
 
Wishing you relief and comfort, Eric.
I will tag, Pat, for you.
@Hip4life
 
Hi, how do I tag someone going forward? I looking forward to connecting with Hip4Life.

Thank you
 
@RPDX24 To tag someone just put the @ sign in front of their screen name - that will alert them that you responded to them specifically. See how I did your screen name?
 
Make sure you see the tag showing in blue after you tap "Post reply"
If you leave a space in between the -> @ symbol and the members name, it won't highlight in blue, nor will it if you post it too close, to an emoji.
Tags like to be all alone :wink:
 

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom