Guest viewing is limited

THR One yr post THR with ongoing pain - MRI report included

Hi, it sounds like you had a wonderful PT experience. I went to one PT Place and they focused on trying to strengthen the muscles in my glutes. It seemed to make everything hurt much worse. I see a Pelvic PT place on Thursday and will go from there. I appreciate you sharing your journey.
 
Make sure to talk with the therapist about passive movement therapy and pressure point therapy in addition to any exercises they have you do. Both those treatments instantly improve tight muscles. The problem is that it’s not a one-and-done treatment. Your body tries to go back to where it was and will revert in a few days at the beginning. Then gradually (because you’re doing the exercises too) it will start taking longer for the reversion after the treatments. Then one day, everything starts staying in proper alignment and “loose” and your pain and gait levels improve. Hopefully you’ll get a good therapist who knows these treatments. One way to help ensure this is the case is to be sure the therapist has DPT (Doctorate of Physical Therapy) behind their name. These folks receive extra training in diagnosis and body movement and can better pinpoint and resolve problems.
 
This is wonderful info. She is a Pelvic floor PT specialist but they have an amazing reputation. I will ask her specifically about what you shared. It sounds to good to be true that this can be treated without surgery but I need to keep my mind focused on healing. Thanks again! I’ll report back after my consultation.
 
This type of treatment was new and exciting to learn about for me too. There is so much that a knowledgeable physical therapist can do to help with movement and mobility issues. I’m with you, that it seemed too good to be true. But it worked for me with my hip. It sounds like you’re going to be in good hands.

There have been many positive changes in the world of physical therapy in the past decades….just like other areas of the medical field. No longer are therapists just someone to run you through a bunch of standardized exercises for whatever injury or surgery you’ve had. They have diagnostic capability and you are able to go see one without even first seeing a doctor for analysis and treatment. This is huge and it makes our medical system much more efficient. But it all requires the eyes of a DPT.

These days you can find therapists who were trained under the old rules of requiring a Master’s Degree for certification. But today’s therapists must have a Doctorate degree to get certified. So, those older PTs without the extra training must be relegated to treating patients under the guidance of a certified therapist. So you always want to be sure you see those magic three letters following a therapist’s name.
 
I went to my Pelvic floor pt consult today and my Dr is the team lead and a DPT therapist: this is her info. She provided a lot of information and I look forward to working with her. I’ll check back in as I begin to work with her. It’s a full body approach.

With a compassionate and skilled approach, I tailor treatment plans to each individual's needs, integrating a variety of techniques, including manual therapy, strength training with an emphasis on proper body mechanics and posture, and regulation of the autonomic nervous system. By combining these approaches, I strive to optimize patient outcomes and enhance overall well-being
 
She sounds very promising. Will be eager to hear how things go.
 
I am feeling more hopeful I can avoid a surgery that may or may not help me. Thanks again!! I think doing the aspiration of the hip fluid to check
for infection will give me some degree of peace of mind.
 
I seem to be following in your footsteps with the groin pain. I hope you find the help you need. Keep posting!
 
Thank you, I have my fluid pull next week to rule out infection. Trying to keep my mind in a positive space is difficult. I'll check in after I get the results mad have more Pelvic PT appointments behind me.
 
I am going to give PT 6-8 weeks and if I am not making progress I am going to approve surgery. It’s getting to the point where waking my dog 1/2 a mile causes a lot of pain. It’s not just my groin. It’s all over the side, glutes and back. It’s getting as bad as before I had the hip replacement which is beyond depressing. I feel like I’m going to be disabled and never be myself again. Trying to hold out hope is a battle in itself. Below is a description of symptoms around Psoas syndrome. I just wish I could rule out implant issues before doing the Psoas release surgery. I will get my test to rule out infection and go from there.
[Bonesmart.org] One yr post THR with ongoing pain - MRI report included
 
Hoping your PT and you are successful!!!! Please keep us posted.
 
Hi everyone,

Quick update. Good news is no infection but the fluid shows inflammation. He is suggesting another Cortisone shot into tue psoas and I'm just not sure what to do. I'm having bad discomfort in my glutes and lower back now which he says is due to the Psoas syndrome. He doesn't think any further imaging will be helpful. Pelvic pt is somwhat helpful but nothinh im terms of beinh a needle mover. Working with her jas made me realizlse my posture puts alot of preasure on hip flwxor and very lottlw glute/core activation. I just don’t know wherw to
go from here.

Thanks, Eric
 
Well, if you had relief with a prior cortisone injection, another one might buy you time to work on a structured regimen of stretching and Pilates under your team's supervision.

If you're pondering a different set of eyes/brain on the issue, a pain specialist might be worth a consult (at least in my region they tend to be osteopathic doctors, so well versed in physical medicine).
 
You mentioned your posture being an issue. What exactly does that mean and has your therapist been working on that?
 
Hello, I’m checking in as I’ve been going to pelvic floor PT for about three months now. I can lift my leg towards my leg towards my chest with less pain but, I still have significant discomfort when walking, and the pain is bad in my glutes and lower back. Also the pain continues near the scar. My original THR was done in Oct 23’ Anterior method. I was an active 51 year old male.

At first they believe do needed a Psoas release procedure. They did a Psoas injection with no improvement. I have my 12 month follow up with my surgeon in early Dec. I may push for a MRI follow up. The exercises I was given by my Pelvic floor PT seem to light things up for a day or two after. I’m just at a loss and my Suregeon has done a terrible job at explaining the MRI findings from Match of 24’ below are the results. Any and all input would be welcomed: I will include that when I have an increase in Pelvic floor pain everything feels worse. Thank you folks!! I am having trust issues with my medical team and don’t want to do something that could make things worse.

MRI of the left hip in a patient status post anterior approach total hip arthroplasty demonstrates no acute periprosthetic fracture, bulky osteolysis, or frank component loosening. Moderate synovial expansion partially decompresses through a deficient anterior capsule without specific imaging features suggest active infection or aggressive reaction to wear debris. Moderate left iliopsoas tendinosis associated with low-grade intrasubstance tear at the level of the acetabular cup and mild iliopsoas bursitis. The critical portions of the final report are concordant with the preliminary radiology findings. Comparisons: Left hip radiographs 2/12/2024. Indication: pain with hip flexion; assess psoas tendon Technique: Multiplanar, multisequence MRI of the left hip was performed without contrast. Findings: Bones: Postoperative changes of left hip arthroplasty is noted with moderate susceptibility artifact slightly limiting regional evaluation. Osseous structures are normal in alignment. There is no acute fracture or dislocation. Bone marrow signal is normal. No evidence of soft tissue swelling or edema. Symphysis pubis shows no significant degenerative changes. Joints/Cartilage: Non-dedicated imaging of the right hip demonstrates no significant cartilage degeneration, no significant effusion, and small marginal osteophytes. Evaluation for labral tear is limited. Dedicated imaging of the left hip demonstrates nonspecific fluid within the periprosthetic joint capsule, which is contiguous with small cysts extending anteriorly, which is best seen on series 7 images 15 through 22. While somewhat challenging to measure due to obliquity, this measures at least 2.4 x 2.2 x 4.8 cm (AP X TR X CC). A small amount of surrounding inflammatory changes is noted within the anterior margin of the left gluteus medius and minimus musculature. What is seen of the sacroiliac joints are within normal limits.
 
Hello RPD,
I am sorry for the ongoing pain you're struggling with. Have you considered a second opinion with a reputable revision specialist since you're struggling with your current team? It may be worthwhile.

A second consideration may be an online consultation with HSS, Hospital for Special Surgery, which is the top rated orthopedic hospital in the country. They are located in NYC, with other east coast locations, but will review cases remotely. I will include the link. HERE

I have merged your post above with your original recovery thread and edited your thread title to reflect your current issue. Having your recovery information contained in one place will make it easier for you to reflect back on. It is also helpful for those stopping by to be able to review your history before advising or commenting.
Please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here.

I wish you luck for your appointment early next month. I hope you find answers that bring relief soon.
@RPDX24
 
Following is a list of a few revision specialists that may be within driving distance for you...if interested. They were posted by, Jamie, from Admin within the last six months or so, so they should be current.

Portland

Oregon Health & Science University (OHSU)

503-494-6400
Dr. Ryan Kagan (primary and revision; hip and knee)
Dr. Kathryn Schafer (primary and revision; hip and knee)

Summit Orthopedics
4103 Mercantile Drive
Lake Oswego, OR
503-828-1245
Dr. Amer Mima (primary and revision; hip and knee)

Rebound Orthopedics & Neurosurgery
360-254-6161
Dr. M. Robson Fraser (primary and revision; hip and knee)
 
Thank you, I saw another orthopedic suregeon at OHSU and he told me he doesn’t see any indication for a revision surgery and does not know the cause for my ongoing pain. He did point out the bone around the cup was not grafting to the cup but, went on to say it does not explain my symptoms. He is sending me to an orthopedist to look into non operative options. I’m feeling very defeated as if I now have a disability. I’m only 51 and feeling lost with all of this:(
 
Please try not to feel defeated. See what the orthopedist has to say and if you feel the need to seek an additional opinion. Please consider it. You're too young to settle for the ongoing pain. Don't lose hope that you will find help and relief. Please keep us posted, we're here for you!
@RPDX24
 
Does anyone see anything that could indicate Psoas Syndrome?
 

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom