PKR One Year Update

@partialfixFeb ... I do try to elevate with three pillows, staggered as shown in an illustration on this site. But good catch! I wasn’t doing it properly when I took the knee cap photo. My camera roll used to be filled with photos of the baby in our family, but since the quarantine and my surgery, I’ve been taking knee photos. Yikes!
 
Last edited:
Hello all...I had such an encouraging day yesterday, and then a night with a lot of aching, soreness, and very troubled sleep. I just couldn’t find a comfortable position. I guess I’m still trying to accept that the recovery process isn’t a straight line, but instead something that veers off course, sometimes with very little provocation. When I have a good day, I’ll feel like “yay, I’ve turned a corner” and then when the soreness returns, I feel like my body is letting me down. What a crazy journey. The mind game is as challenging as the physical recovery, isn’t it!
 
Wolvesfan, you are still very early in recovery time frame. I am just past 14 weeks post op, and still nowhere near 100%. I have upped my ADL’s ,also lots of walking ,and do some spin cycling, ...sleeping has gotten better, knee still has minor aches and tightness under kneecap and just below the knee. I limp a slight bit, so I concentrate on my gait.still can’t go down stairs foot over foot..tried to “military “ wash the floor, (on knees) not so smart on my part.

i have experienced the “I’ve turned the corner” only to take two steps back soon after. Time is our best friend, not PT, not exercise, simply time...
 
@Qdogpa...thank you so much. Your comments are always so encouraging for me!
 
Sigh. My brother in law came over this afternoon (we were outside at a safe distance from each other). I was excited to show him how well I can walk unassisted, because the last time he saw me, I was still using a walker. But instead, he told me that he thought I’d be farther along in my recovery. I asked him what he meant, and his response was “well, I’ve known others who have had this surgery, and they seemed to make more progress than you have.” I was at first surprised and then so upset to hear him say that. This process has so many physical and emotional ups and downs, and even though I logically know that I shouldn’t let it bother me, his comment really brought me down. Just needed to vent. Onward and upward, right?
 
So sorry that your BIL is so uninformed on the recovery process... Do some recover faster, likely ...But do most people take months if not longer, yes...
 
My yoga instructor had a TKR at my age...she is now 60. I grilled her about the process/recovery. She said "takes a year."
 
Those negative comments can hurt us so deeply, and no matter what we reply, they aren’t going to change their mind, until maybe when they have a TKR.

We all get these comments. :console2:

I live in a 55+ community and am one of the youngest, so there have been many TKRs here before me. Yet, I was shocked at the lack of understanding and support I got from those TKR veterans. It was a pass/fail thing, and my “slow” recovery was definitely a fail in their eyes. It was very stressful for me.
 
@Jockette ... Thank you for sharing your experience. It’s good to know I’m not alone in these feelings. I hope you have a beautiful day!
 
I have a question. I’m almost 8 weeks post op, and between iffy spring weather and the quarantine, I haven’t been outside to walk much. The weather is getting better, so I’ve been trying to walk twice a day, but still for short distances (and being outside feels wonderful). However, every now and then after a short walk, I feel as weak as a newborn kitten. Is this normal? My knee feels stiff/tight, but the awful bone on bone pain is gone. PT is opening up again, and I have my first official session on Friday. Maybe I’m worried that the therapist will push me beyond what I’m ready for, stamina wise. Thanks for any thoughts or feedback!
 
Maybe I’m worried that the therapist will push me beyond what I’m ready for, stamina wise.
Don’t allow them to push you. You know what you can handle and how weak you feel after your current walks. This weakness is normal, you are recovering from major surgery, and you are still feeling the energy drain of your body trying to heal. As you heal, your whole body will strengthen.

Control your PT session. Go with your gut feeling about how much you should do. Don’t be tempted to try to please them by going a little further than you think you should.
Saying no to therapy - am I allowed to?

Remember, you’ve come along fine doing what you’ve been doing at home to encourage your recovery without being in a formal PT session in an office. I was discharged from PT at 8 weeks, and the rest of my recovery took care of itself. If you don’t have a cooperative PT with what you want, then just continue on your own at home. Going to an office is an option, but it is not necessary.
 
It's normal to still have very little energy. Most of your energy is till being directed towards healing your knee and there isn't much left for anything else.
This article explains:
Energy drain for TKRs

As for PT therapy, It's your knee and you are in control of what happens to it. You have the right to say what you will allow at PT, so don't allow anything you feel is too much.
Saying no to therapy - am I allowed to?

Your therapist works for you, not the other way round. You don't have to please her/him - they have to please you. If they can't respect your wishes, leave.
 
@Jockette and @Celle...as always, excellent advice. Thank you! Something big happened today. I drove my car for the first time post op and it felt so good! My husband told our neighbors that I was going to give it a try this afternoon, and the whole family was outside cheering for me. What a spirit booster!

Thank you again for your excellent advice and encouragement!
 
Driving again is Great! That's a milestone to celebrate, because it gives you back your independence.
:happydance::dancy::spin:
 
My husband told our neighbors that I was going to give it a try this afternoon, and the whole family was outside cheering for me. What a spirit booster!
How fun is that!!

Driving is a big accomplishment !
 
I was scared to death to drive after surgery, I waited 11 weeks, and then only drove because my husband had an eye appointment and his eyes were dilated and he couldn’t drive. And it was an hour away! Yes, my husband spoiled me in my recovery. :roseshwr:
 
Isn’t driving again a wonderful feeling?!? It was such a relief when my surgeon said I was ok to drive at my 6 week follow up. He also told me I had no need for any PT ( I never had any as PT was shut down for covid). Like you, I was worried about PT pushing me too hard & ending up with more pain & swelling. I hope you get a good PT......& if not, just say NO
 
Update...My first PT appointment went very well. As often happens, all of my worrying was a waste of time! My therapist asked me about my goals for a full recovery; what activities I wanted to do with a well functioning knee, etc. I told him I want to walk longer distances again (2-4 miles), hike, bike, return to Pilates and gentle flow yoga, go down stairs without agonizing pain, cook big dinners, garden, and travel without thinking so much about how much walking I might have to do. Next, he watched me walk and took some measurements. We set goals, worked on some gentle stretching and strengthening activities, and he showed me how to massage my knee. I left feeling confident and encouraged, so I’d say it was a good beginning. Later, I joined my husband and our puppy on a walk, but I turned around at the quarter mile mark and walked back home while they continued. A half mile might not sound like much, but it’s progress for me!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom