PKR One Year Update

Amazing experience, glad you were able to advise your anesthesiologist about recovery.
 
So glad to read that you are doing so well, and that you have taken the time to update us here on BoneSmart it is so good for new members to read these updates and see that there eventually a light at the end of the tunnel.
Sadly many surgeons/doctors, physiotherapist etc, haven't felt first hand the after effects of the knee/joint replacements, so other than the medical text book replies, they are ill equipped to really warn us how long, & quite often painful full recovery is ...
I had surgery in 2019, like you, my other one got angry, (I think it was jealous of all the attention the other one got), plus it was weight bearing most of the time, fast forward to 2021 I'm now back on the waiting list for it to be replaced :flabber: but this time I know what to expect but ....the plus side soon I will have two Good painless knees :yes!:
Let us know from time to time how you are doing- sending virtual hugs from a very calm Sunny Portugal xxx
 
Like you, I cannot believe he is back at work after only 6 weeks. And those guys spend most of the time on their feet. He ought to give his OS a piece of his mind!
Glad you are doing better and able to reflect on the improvement!
 
Wow wolvesfan i am new to this forum and have just read all you time thread it has given me great reassurance. I am 3 and half weeks post op from a Right medial PKR. I thought i was prepared and ready for the pain and discomfort but wow i was so wrong. My knee feels so weird no more bone crunching from having no cartilage left which is great but the pain and swelling has been a real eye opener. My new PKR feels clunky especially when it is swollen. I am a engineer and terrified that i have been given the wrong size knee. My wife just laughs at me and tells me not to worry, i am a consummate worrier and analyse everything. Apart from the clunking i am doing pretty good, still wake up around 3.00am and have to apply cold packs to my knee I see my surgeon on the 3 of june 2021 My Physio nurse is happy with my progress and advised me to speak to my surgeon about the clunky feeling. Great to read a positive recovery.
 
@Ginger1210 ... I’m so glad my recovery thread was helpful for you! Truly, the only people who understand the physical and emotional aspects of recovering from knee replacement surgery are those who have been there...and even then, we’re all different! At my three month checkup, I told my OS that my new knee still didn’t feel like a real knee, and his response was “well, it’s not a real knee, so yes...especially this early in recovery, it’s going to give you all kinds of “not normal” sensations.” I wasn’t sure if I should feel relieved or discouraged (like you, I’m a champion worrier, so discouraged was becoming my go to mode), but my surgeon was right. As my knee has continued to heal, many of those odd sensations have faded away. Every now and then I’ll feel a slight tugging or more stiffness, and be reminded again that there’s hardware inside my knee. So don’t be discouraged, because while healing can feel agonizingly slow at times, it’s happening. And if you do continue to feel worried, talk with your surgeon. He or she wants you to have the best possible outcome!
 
Glad you're going well, I also am doing well at my point in recovery.My good knee is playing up also, minor pain but it's happening. If I can ask, what procedure did you have on your good knee and did it work for you.
 
Thanks Wolesfan you are absolutely right if you have never been through this experience then it hard to understand, these forums are a godsend. I will keep updating my recovery timeline. All the best on your further recovery.
 
@Goma...I’m glad your recovery is going well! I tripped over a chunk of ice in January, and fell hard on both knees. Of course, I was worried about my replaced knee, but it was fine...however, I did injure my “good” knee. After hobbling around with increasing pain, my OS ordered an MRI, which revealed a badly torn meniscus. He performed an arthroscopic procedure to trim the meniscus and (his words) “clean up some other junk around the knee joint” a month ago today. It’s MUCH less invasive than replacement surgery, so a faster recovery, less pain (but not pain free, at least for me), and I had full ROM within days after the procedure. So far, I’m very pleased with the results. I’m working on regaining strength in the muscles around that knee and I’ve temporarily resorted to going up and down stairs like a toddler, but I know that will improve as I continue to heal. Our knees sure can be problems but I’m grateful that there are often solutions. I wish you the very best as you continue to recover!
 
@Wolvesfan Whew I'm so glad you did not damage your newer knee in that fall! I had a similar fall over 20 years ago though I only landed on one knee (left) and according to the surgeon I "shredded" the meniscus. I also had an arthroscopic surgery to repair that damage. :heehee: I actually woke up for a bit during the procedure and saw the action on a big monittor - it looked like some odd variation of the old PacMan game with the tube suctioning up floating bits. I sincerely hope your out come from the procedure is as good as mine has been - 20 years on and NO problems with that knee at all!!!
 
@djklaugh ... that is so encouraging! I hope my long term outcome is as good as yours, too!
 
Thanks for the reply, falling would be so scary. My doctor mentioned the word meniscus but said there was no definitive answer until the MRI results. I had a big day out and woke the next day with pain in my knee, never had so much as a twinge before. I was really worried and surprised and of course thinking the worst. Will this ever end I keep asking myself. Operated knee is getting stronger at least . If I need a procedure I hope the outcome is a good one. Glad you guys had success.
 
He performed an arthroscopic procedure to trim the meniscus and (his words) “clean up some other junk around the knee joint” a month ago today.
Would the date for this procedure be April 14? Please confirm thwt so we can add this to your signature.

Other than your fall I’m glad things are going so well for you.
 
Hi I had three arthroscopic surgeries on my right knee before i had right PKR. They are less invasive but i would recommend you treat it similar to a PKR. I thought same same and recovery would be quick, don`t push it and let it rest and recover. When they do keyhole surgery they still inflate your knee in order to perform the surgery, this does cause a lot of stress and bruising in your knee which you may not be aware of. And please remember the more cartilage they remove the less cushioning you have left, a little similar to a worn car tyre. I hope you recover well. I know a few work colleagues who have had similar procedures and have made a full recovery.
 
@Ginger1210 ... Thank you so much for this advice. It’s so helpful to hear from people who have had a similar procedure!
 
HI @Wolvesfan congrats on your recovery. You mentioned most of your recovery in the first 6 mo, but noticed improvements from mo 6-12 and then beyond. Did you make sizeable ROM improvements after 6 mo? Curious about longer term ROM gains, as I have seen some here have experienced that.
Again, congrats on the great success.
 
Hi VolFan0927! I wouldn’t say I made sizeable improvements in ROM after six months; more like small but steady gains. And I think I’m still improving. Just this week I had my annual eye checkup. As I was waiting for the doc to enter the exam room, I noticed that I had both legs tucked quite far back under the chair. I remember when my knee certainly wouldn’t have bent that far, so it sure seems like an improvement. And I bent it without thinking about it, which has been another nice change. Best wishes for your continued recovery!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom