Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral PKR One Year Update

@SherrieT So Happy to read your upbeat post. I can’t wait to be able to drive again and sleep without my king size pillow. I will be 7 weeks post op tomorrow. I know it’ll all come in time.
 
I'm going to set up laptop and monitor on bedside table and have it over my recliner with legs elevated.
That's a really good way to work! How's your brain fog? I still had mine at 5 weeks. I hated it! By my 6th week I was better. Then I still had the energy drain. Wow, that was truly a drain!
 
That's a really good way to work! How's your brain fog? I still had mine at 5 weeks. I hated it! By my 6th week I was better. Then I still had the energy drain. Wow, that was truly a drain!

Brain fog is pretty much gone. Up until lately I've been able to sleep so much I felt guilty about it so that helped a lot (the sleeping, not the guilty feeling). This new set up is working pretty good so far. One day down.
 
You sound like you have it all under control! Good going!
 
I had it under control for today. I'm learning that this really is a day by day journey. I got to feeling pretty low and now I'm clawing my way back up.
 
It truly is a day to day journey. Many times improvement is not seen until weeks so by. It can get so frustrating, but concentrate on the little successes. They add up to large successes!
 
Yesterday was 5 weeks post op, 3 weeks post fall. I've come to the realization that I'm more recovering from the fall than from the initial surgery. My PT estimated that when I fell, I ended up on my knees, sitting on my heels, that I was forcibly (with my not inconsiderable weight) bent to 130 -150 degrees. I feel like my soft tissues are just now coming to pre-fall condition. So my recovery has been slowed down a bit but I'm slogging forward, bit by bit.

I started working on my quads but I've stopped that for the time being. I think it was just too soon. I'm up to 4 minutes on the stationary bike (no tension and slow) and my knees do like it. Not as much as they like walking but the weather has not cooperated to do much of that.

It was last July/August that my knee issues really came to light. I was on my dream vacation to London and, after walking miles and miles everyday, I ended up icing my knees every night. I thought I was just overdoing it and was so shocked when, after coming home and seeing Dr, that I was told I had significant arthritis in both knees. Several months later (Feb 1, 2018) I had my BTKR. I ended up missing so many things on my vacation that I had planned just because my knees couldn't do it.

So I now have a carrot dangling in front of my nose to keep on track with my recovery. I have bought plane tickets to London for late Oct - mid November. I've also booked some plays. So I HAVE to be nice to my knees and take them out for walks whenever possible.

I started back to work this past Monday. I work remotely and now have a nice recliner/office set up. It's going fairly well but I'm really ready for the weekend. I've not been sleeping as well lately and need a couple of days to try to catch up. And to dream of walking freely around London.
 
Hi @SherrieT Sounds like you are on track for a good recovery. I think you are right that the fall forcing you into a 150 degree angle did some serious damage to the soft tissues etc. kind of like an MUA without the anesthesia and without the planning. Yikes. So awful. But you are coming back from it splendidly. Good for you. And it is definitely a one day at a time proposition.

Like you, I keep thinking back on last year at this time, I was scheduling a RTKR for early August due to work schedule. Also left knee had not blown up yet and the doc was saying lefty still had some life in it. I was thinking of moving to Denver and trying to decide whether to move first and then have my right knee done, or do the surgery first. Little did I know that a short month later I would be headed for the ERin extreme pain, left knee shot, housebound and on a walker.

Aren’t you glad it is this year and not last year? I am. Hugs to you gf. Happy five week kneeversary.
 
I too think the fall set back your healing knees. It forced your knee to bend past what the swelling allowed, so it had to have done some mischief, and not the good kind. So you are in a sense starting back at, well, not the beginning exactly, but further back from where you would be otherwise. Now your swelling is going back down and you can move forward on the main line, so to speak.

I'm ten months out from my surgery and feel I could handle a long trip with lots of walking. You'll know better in October what kind of elevating and icing arrangements you will want. Your knees might still swell and ache at the end of a long day of walking, but they will bounce back quickly, like overnight. A little icing after a long day is still something you'll want to have access to, if needed.

But you will enjoy those days and walks! That's a great carrot you have dangling there in front of you! :roseshwr:
 
6 week check up today. And I drove the 1.5 hours to Boston. Stopped mid-way for a stretch but I made it. Don't want to do that again for awhile.

They were pleased with my progress and @mlwreader , they did refill my Tramadol! She asked if I had lost weight, that I looked a bit drawn and I told her it's a combination of the pain and not sleeping well. She did say that I was in a difficult part of the recovery made worse by the fall. Not concerned about the little internal stitches popping out. They looked much better today of course. I'm going back to be checked at 3 months.

I told them that I was holding off on out patient PT for a while until I feel like my knees are ready for it. I'm continuing with 4 minutes a couple of times a day on stationary bike, walking and, of course, all the times I have to go up and down the stairs here at the house.

I imagine my knees will make me pay for the drive either tonight or tomorrow but it was just easier and took less time than taking the train.

Hope everyone's recovery is uneventful and pain-free!!
 
It sounds as if your check up went well. :thumb:

Walking, the stationary bike and the stairs sounds like plenty of exercise for your knees, without going to therapy as well.
 
Good news about the Tramadol. Brave girl to make the drive. Are you going to rest up for a couple of days I hope? If your abscesses looked better maybe they are clearing up. That would be great.
 
I work remotely so it's not a big stretch. And my office is in my living area. Four co-workers each took a bit of my job and kept it up to date as possible so I don't have horrible amounts to catch up on. Just need to double check and make sure things were done correctly. Are they ever glad I'm back. If I'd known that meds would be withdrawn so soon I would have waited another week or so for some additional healing. But I'm able to get up and walk around when I need to. I thought I might be able to work from desk but I'm going to set up laptop and monitor on bedside table and have it over my recliner with legs elevated.
I work from home too and was back at work a week after my TKR. I too set my office in my living room. I took very little narcotics and almost never during the day so I was lucid and alert. I elevated and iced and most people (other than my boss and some close team members) knew I had just had surgery. Thankfully my workload was kind of light those first few weeks after surgery. Even though I have a home office, I still find it uncomfortable to sit at my desk.
 
Good news about the Tramadol. Brave girl to make the drive. Are you going to rest up for a couple of days I hope? If your abscesses looked better maybe they are clearing up. That would be great.

Yes I will be resting up. I still have to work but my home office set up around my recliner makes it manageable and Friday is usually a light workload. I think the abscesses are better.

I didn't think topical creams were supposed to help much but I ordered some arnica balm that used to help with sore muscles and until it gets here I tried some Camphor, Menthol, and Methyl Salicylate cream around my more painful right knee (careful to avoid incision) and it feels better. ??

@Babushelen I can not even imagine going back to work after 1 week. Even if I had had one knee done. You are superwoman. Only problem with the recliner is that my butt starts getting tired after awhile. That's when I know it's time to get a cup of tea or ride the bike for a couple of minutes.
 
Recliners are not great chairs for working. I too work at home and found that out quickly. Of course, sitting in a regular desk chair with legs down is out of the question for you now. One thing to try, if you have the option available, is to invest in a nice ottoman that’s at the same level as the seat of a straighter chair or sofa. I found it easier to work with my back well supported by my sofa and my legs straight out on my ottoman. I could easily ice them and use my laptop on a lap desk. Worked beautifully. I’m back at my desk now, but still sometimes move downstairs to my sofa and ottoman for a stretch.
 
@SusieShoes I wish a sofa was an option for me. We live in multi-generation house and my office, living and sleeping areas are in finished basement. I just don't have room for a sofa.

There is a bike path that runs next to a grocery store by us and I went today to pick up a few things for our St Pats dinner, took Bashie and walked her on the bike path for a bit. I have to remember to take long strides. Feels better to do it also. Got home, put the corned beef in the pressure cooker, icing and elevating. Life is good
 
I made an early St Patrick's dinner on Thursday at my son's request while he was home for spring break. It was a very work intensive meal of pasties (hand pies not stripper accessories lol), fried cabbage and blarney stone cake. I am still recovering! But it was tasty.
 
We went out for St Patrick’s Day dinner at a local Irish Pub. They had live music outside but the wait to sit in the dining room was brutal. We ended up waiting one hour. Well at least the weather was nice outside. I had shepherds pie. It was delish. Now I’m beat. Iced and elevated when I got home.
 
@katchmo . That sounds wonderful. I made Colcannon for the first time tonight. It was so much better than I thought it would be.
 
@Babushelen . I love Shephards pie. I'll bet the left-over Colcannon would make an incredible topping for Shepards. YUMMMMM.

And to make sure this stays on topic.....since the Colcannon is already made, it will be much easier on my knees just to make the pie filling. I have a folding stool I use in the kitchen when I cook. Will be glad for the day when I forget to use it.
 
Back
Top Bottom