TKR One Year Post-op

We finally went on our motorhome trip and it was wonderful! It’s like my knee decided enough of this and didn’t really cause me any problems at all. I also didn’t really do any exercises, just walked my dogs and shopped, etc. Maybe I was trying too hard to get better and overdoing the exercise. I’m still going to walk and ride my bicycle but I really feel like I’m finally getting well.
 
Maybe I was trying too hard to get better and overdoing the exercise.
That's a possibility. At this point, maybe just easing back into your normal activity, within reason, will work best. for you! :thumb: Glad you enjoyed your getaway. Sounds like fun. I hope you have a nice weekend, Maggie!
 
I’ve been meaning to check in since my 8th month anniversary, but here I am at over 10 months and just now getting around to it.
I’ve been really busy since my knee is doing much better. I’m not going to say it’s well yet but it’s on the way. I seem to be having a love/hate relationship with my knee. Some days I think it’s great and then others, not so great. It still gets stiff occasionally, maybe because I do too much and don’t ice it enough. Some days my ROM is really good and then other days, especially on a stiff day,it’s not so good.
On the good side, I don’t have any pain at all. I’m walking 2 miles a day and going to increase that. We just got through with a month long fishing trip and I was able to do everything I needed to do. I guess what I really want is that knee I had when I was 20!
Thanks to everyone for being there when I wasn’t doing well. It’s hard to believe that was almost a year ago
@Darvi
 
Thank you for the update @Maggie M - at eight months your 2 miles and the fishing trip are really fine markers :yes!:

Hang in there, it will continue to improve.
If it's stiffness more than swelling or pain at this point, it may be more worthwhile to elevate a couple of times a day without ice and to alternate more challenging days with less active days.
 
We just got through with a month long fishing trip and I was able to do everything I needed to do. I guess what I really want is that knee I had when I was 20!
Don't we all! Saw a joke that said
"When people tell you to enjoy them when they're young- they mean your knees not your kids!"
At 2 years after my PKR I would say my knee is 90% as good as my other side and about 80- 85% of its younger self.. But I can walk miles/ look after an active 3 year old and do everything I need.
 
I'm glad things are going so well, and your fishing trip sounds like fun. It's amazing how the knee can give us grief for months, and I remember my first TKR having THOSE days at 8 months post-op. I saw major improvement all the way to the 1-yr mark and even into years 2 and 3. I hope you continue to have the same.
 
Thinking of checking in, then not doing it for two months is a good sign you're busy, back to life and enjoying your new knee...which is awesome!
I seem to be having a love/hate relationship with my knee. Some days I think it’s great and then others, not so great. It still gets stiff occasionally, maybe because I do too much and don’t ice it enough.
Sounds like you have it figured out. I agree with your thoughts.

A month long fishing trip?!! Lucky you! :realing: Hope the big one didn't get away.
Thanks for stopping by to share an update. Have a great week, Maggie!
 
Hello! I’m hoping someone can add “one year out” to my title.
I still think I’m doing well. Like I said before, my knee does not hurt, it does still feel stiff sometimes and I still don’t think my ROM is great. What I’m having a problem with is a pain, like being sore, in my glutes. The back of my legs feel sore, like I’ve overworked them, everyday. I feel it mostly when I get up in the morning or when I stand up after sitting for a while. I am fairly active and have always been. I walk about 2 miles with my husband daily, still do PT exercises every other day, and work around the house. I really don’t understand why the back of my legs still hurt after being done with my TKR for over a year. I think I definitely have some more healing to do even though it’s been a year.
Do I maybe need more PT? I really haven’t had any formal PT since I was 7 weeks out, just doing exercises at home.

BTW, HAPPY NEW YEAR TO EVERYONE!

:happy-new-years-toast-smiley-emoticon:
 
First of all, happy (belated) one year an-knee-versary, @Maggie M! It sounds like you are doing very well.

That muscle soreness might just be that your body hasn't fully adapted to its new structural alignment, but you might benefit from some targeted physical therapy.

Did you have a one-year follow-up with your OS yet? If not, you could ask for a PT referral. Otherwise, you might want to make an appointment with a physiatrist or pain management specialist who can diagnose the problem and develop a treatment plan.

Keep us posted.

:happy-new-years-toast-smiley-emoticon:
 
I haven’t seen my surgeon in a long time, just the PA, and not since the summer. My PCP would send me to PT though, I think. I might go see her soon and see what she says.
 
Yes, @Maggie M it's possible you've focused mostly on quads, and so your glutes and hamstrings could use some focused attention. A good PT will assess not only strength issues but if there are trigger points or other restrictions keeping them from firing, contracting, or stretching effectively.
 
I’m still not very happy with my new knee. It still feels like it has a tight band around it and my ROM is not great. It doesn’t hurt, which is a good thing, but I guess it’s just not what I expected. It could be the weather, I’ve noticed that when a front is coming through I do have problems with it, like being stiff. My husband has noticed that it’s always 2 days out from a weather change. We’ve had a lot of up and down weather, like really warm, 80 today and 50 tomorrow, it gets really stiff with that. I also am a little angry that I have never seen my surgeon during all this, only the PA.
 
I’m sorry after all this time your knee still bothers you. But, after a tough first year, I had a lot of improvement in my second year, as my whole leg continued to relax and heal. Hopefully you will see the same.

Weather definitely bothers my knee, even now, 8 years later.

I would be annoyed, too, to only see the PA and never the surgeon, in a year of recovery. However, not seeing the surgeon is not always a bad thing. In my case, I did see my surgeon for every post op and he was a fan of pushing my knee to a painful place, to get the ROM number he wanted. :hairpulling: Maybe the PA wouldn’t have done that.
 
You can always request to see the surgeon either when you’re in the office or, better yet, when you make the appointment. Most surgeons have their PA come in first to evaluate, then pop in for a short visit in the follow-up process.
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom