TKR One Year Post-op TKR

Thank you so much! Everyone on this forum always makes me feel better, and surely makes the journey easier! Happy Saturday to you, as well, and a very Merry Christmas!
 
@Sbow3111 I can totally relate to your question. I am feeling the same way and the only thing I can think of is that I went with my husband to buy a Christmas tree yesterday lol. I didn't lift the tree, put it in the car, or anything! At this stage I guess even small changes in activity can translate into feeling it the next day!
 
Hi there Sbow,
Extension can take longer than flexion to achieve. It does take a full year for a complete recovery.
So try to be patient, even though its hard. Here is an article from the BoneSmart Library that you may not have read. Extension: how to estimate it and ways to improve it

Please notice that we have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. Having your recovery information contained in one place will make it easier for you to reflect back on. Please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here.

Best Wishes for a good week! :)
@Sbow3111
 
Yes!

How are you doing overall? Are you walking well but still having problems going up or down stairs, or still experiencing swelling or tightness? Those things are not uncommon at your stage.

Many people continue to gain both flexion and extension for a year or more. At times one might come more quickly than the other.
 
@Sbow3111
Would you like your title changed to "Extension" as you noted?
If so let us know and we'll edit accordingly.
 
My extension was slower coming in, too. The best and easiest way I helped mine was to walk with a longer than normal stride. I made sure I put my heel down first then rolled up onto my toes. Walking like this helps to stretch out those big muscles and tendons behind the knee. It helped me get to a 0 extension, but not overnight, it takes time, just like the rest of this recovery does!
 
The other tip for extension that I found useful, was lying on my tummy on the bed with my leg hanging off the bed- so that the weight of the leg pulled it straight.
Don't use any weights though and don't let anyone else encourage you to use weights.
 
The other tip for extension that I found useful, was lying on my tummy on the bed with my leg hanging off the bed- so that the weight of the leg pulled it straight.
This is a good one, too, but it hurt me, while the long stride didn't. We are all different!
 
I'm doing very well going up and down stairs. I'm having discomfort at night since I moved from my recliner to the bed... but I know this is normal. I just thought that at five months I should be nearly "normal". Ha. I mostly just wondered if it's too late to gain better extension.
 
I mostly just wondered if it's too late to gain better extension.
Oh no, it isn't too late to get a better extension. Both the bend and extension can improve for over a year or two. At 5 months, you haven't reached the halfway point in your healing yet. You will continue to improve ROM and have less pain as time goes on. Remember that ice can be your best friend!
 
Thank you so much for all your responses! It's so comforting to me, and I really appreciate it!! ❤️❤️
 
At less than eight months out, while during a walk I harbor the illusion of a "normal" knee; however it does not last all day by any means...
My nearly one year knee still reminds me a few times daily that it's still a work in progress.
This despite having excellent ROM quite early....
The hard thing during this "in between period" is remembering to pamper the babies!
 
At less than eight months out, while during a walk I harbor the illusion of a "normal" knee; however it does not last all day by any means...
My nearly one year knee still reminds me a few times daily that it's still a work in progress
Agree with @mendogal 90% of the time I really don't notice my 14 month old knee but sometimes it reminds me by the end of the day that it is still healing. I think work in progress is a good term.
 
This week, it is one year since my total knee replacement, and I am still slightly swollen and quite often stiff. I am 64 years old, and not terribly active... but not sedentary either. There is slight pain when going up and down stairs. Does this sound normal to anyone?? Should I be concerned?
 
This is normal for some. Some of us take longer than a year to fully heal from a knee replacement. Are you having a one year check with your surgeon?

After a very tough first year I did have a lot of improvement in my second year, as my whole leg continued to relax and heal. Hopefully you will see similar.
 
By the way, I merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread, as we prefer that members in recovery have only one thread.

This benefits you because all your information is in one place, easy to find, and maintains a nice journal for you.

This also benefits our staff, as your information is all in one place, and we often go back through your thread for previous details, so we know what you‘ve been through which helps us advise you better.

So, please keep all your posts in this thread. If you’d like a new title, let us know what you want, and we’ll change it for you.

Many members bookmark their thread in their computer browser, so they can find it when they log on.
How can I find my threads and posts?


Best wishes on your continuing recovery! :flwrysmile:
 
There is slight pain when going up and down stairs.
I still have an occasional twinge on stairs and it will be 2 years in October since my PKR.
My medial collateral ligament ( MCL) was very overstretched pre surgery by my very valgus ( knock kneed) leg and it needs a lot of quad strengthening to keep it as tight as it is now capable of going.
I would try to get a one year follow-up to explore and explain any residual issues. I still do regular pilates 3-4/week to maintain my flexibility and strength.
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom