Revision THR One year later and still pain in groin

I hope it works for you! The one in PA has been great to work with. Gosh, Im not sure about bending over to undo an ankle strap that sounds very risky. You may be better off asking whomever it was that put you in that contraption.
That's what I needed the aide for initially, helped with shower, meal prep and actually walked our dog when needed. My husband teaches at a University and it was very difficult for him to miss classes.
Sometimes when I knew an aide was coming I would get them and have them pick me up junk food too. :heehee:
I think the minimum time limit is 2 hours.? But things may have changed.. I hope they can help you.
Even for a "regular" THR I used them to help walk with me while there.. I just felt more secure, especially when I walked outside.
I only needed them for less than 2 weeks but they never made me feel like I was a pain for not needing more.
 
Of course, I don’t know anything about your insurance, but it seems to me that your surgeon could (in fact, should) write you orders for in-home occupational therapy - and then the expert OT will be the one to work out the safe way for you to accomplish these basic activities of daily living. I really want you to get great help!

If you aren’t able to do the activities of daily living unassisted without breaking restrictions, you likely qualify for insured inpatient care because you live alone. And even as I type this, I can feel how difficult it would be for me to consider this option if I were in your place, and I understand would why you might be reluctant. That said, you deserve every opportunity to optimize this recovery, and these care options, and the insurance benefits to pay for them, exist for a reason. My father was released from the VA after THR to his apartment where he lived alone. After his first in-home visit from a visiting nurse, she admitted him to inpatient rehabilitative care. She explained to me that she had a legal obligation to protect his welfare - much in the same way CPS protects children. I had no idea such protections exist, but they do.

Another source for referral might be the hospital that treated you. My hospital has discharge planning coordinators, and they will facilitate transferring me to inpatient care if needed, or refer home therapists, if ordered. If you had left the hospital after your surgery in that brace (rather than the ER), I wonder if you would have had access to referral and/or placement assistance prior to discharge. If so, perhaps those same people can help you now.
 
This is very helpful. I called Aetna and I have home health care coverage but that’s for people who can’t shower or dress themselves etc. I also left a message for a social worker at the hospital and did not hear back. I need a personal aid to help with laundry, light meal prep, the brace and supervised walks. So I’m having a hard time now finding the care I need, covered by insurance.
Maybe I should embellish so I can get an aid that insurance covers. Otherwise it’s 20 an hour which I cannot afford now.
Thanks again for the response really appreciate it!
 
I will be praying too that an answer comes very soon. @Onestepatatime

My PT office hires college students who are studying nursing. Our college age daughter is very happy with 10.00 per hour. Is their a University close by? Just a long shot thought. You may also find on Craigs List.

I think with your dislocation risk, it is medically necessary to get some daily care. Heart goes out to you. ❤️
 
All great ideas! I just did a messenger blast to local moms in my town, so what if I haven’t spoken to them in 5 years. Word of mouth is my preference. I’ll call a college Monday too. I was going to post an ad but afraid of weirdos. I feel like I’m in a surreal twilight existence.
 
Hi @Onestepatatime :hi: How are you doing? Did you find any resolution to finding someone to help you in your home? I sure hope so.. please check in when you're able.
 
@CricketHelp
That is so sweet you checking in! I met three people yesterday. Two from a referral service and one high school grad. The high school kid is so nice he did a bunch of errands for me yesterday. But he’s only available for another week. The caregivers are expensive so I’m trying to think through my needs before I spend hundreds of dollars. But I feel better now that I have options. Both caregivers were ok. One cane professionally dressed other cane like she was going to a bar.
 
Hello :wave: and Happy Wednesday!
What about local churches? You may find resources there...
It's good to read you've found some help already. I'll bet it takes the pressure off.
Wishing you a great day as you continue on the journey!
@Onestepatatime
 
Oh boy! At least you have him for another week! I wonder, does he know of anybody else that he could recommend? I would guess there are kids his age needing some spare money. I agree about the caregivers being more pricey.. and the way they dressed? That is funny, yet sad all at the same time. :gaah: well, the bar scene gal was funny, the other one was fine. I hope you find who you are searching for.. it's such a relief to have help.
 
Oops I meant came, not cane, lol. Yes, it is funny she came dressed ready to go to the bar. I know the agency sends them a letter on how to dress for the interview too. Today I walked six long blocks to the condo complex pool, sat for 30 minutes then walked home. First time I have been there all summer, change of scenerry was good. Yesterday, I cooked my first dinner for my son and I since July 1st. Both of these caused crazy exhaustion. Guess it is only 24 days, plus the dislocation episode. Hope ya'all are doing well!
 
Hi All, so I got contacted about three different jobs for phone interviews next week. One is in nyc which requires public transportation and 1.5 hours door to door. For those that don’t know, im currently unemployed I lost my job right before surgery. Im having a hard time navigating on my future capabilities, like when can I go on a face to face interview, and be able to start a new job. The dislocation was almost two weeks ago. Thanks for support and insight!!!
 
Hi @Onestepatatime
Best of luck to you with your phone interviews next week.
Encouraging news on your walk to the pool and making dinner for your son. I hope you enjoyed.
Wishing you continued healing and a great week to come!
 
Thanks! I just don’t know the timing of when I can start a new job, or even sooner make a positive impression in an interview. It’s really hard to project and plan when I’m really living day to day. This is not my thang!
 
Hello @Onestepatatime Glad you found someone to come help. Hope he knows someone after he leaves for school. I hope you find something closer to home. A commute would be hard the first months of recovery. Hoping the perfect solution presents itself soon. Take care. ❤️
 
Today it really hurts when I put any weight on operative hip when I walk. Worse than usual like a deep ache pain. I don’t know whether to stay off it today or if walking is best. Feels like I’m going backwards. Aagghh!!!! It’s a nice summer day too. I’m getting bummed.
 
Hello @Onestepatatime
I'm sorry you're experiencing a rough time. I hope as the day has progressed, your pain has eased some.
I think when that happens I'd rest and ice, but also get in some normal movement.
Hopefully tomorrow feels brighter :SUNsmile:
Hugs :console2:
 
@Josephine, hi I have a question for you as an RN. I had my surgery 7/1 and the visiting nurse didn’t remove the top layer of the bandage when she took the dressing off. I don’t see the surgeon until 8/5. Can I remove it myself and put steri strips on it? Should I use antibiotic ointment? The incision area is burning and the pain since my dislocation is worse. Idk...
Thanks,
Karen
 
the visiting nurse didn’t remove the top layer of the bandage when she took the dressing off.
That doesn't quite make sense to me. How could she have left to top layer but taken the dressing off?
Can I remove it myself and put steri strips on it?
You're 4 weeks out. There shouldn't be any need for Steri-strips now.
Should I use antibiotic ointment?
Absolutely not! Using antibiotic ointments is how we ended up with MRSA.
The incision area is burning and the pain since my dislocation is worse
I'd really like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Back
Top Bottom