THR One week to go!

Status
Not open for further replies.
that first shower will feel wonderful!
It will! It is heaven - believe me :angel:
Just chipping in with what I got - all this info sharing is so useful! :idea:
For moving around - I bought a waiter's apron with 3 pockets which housed my phone, specs and anything else smallish.
When I reached the more mobile stage I used one of those lightweight rucksack type things they hand out at exhibitions, which I was able to put a flask of drink in (you just cannot carry a mug of tea when you're on crutches or a walker!) This saved me having to beg for drinks.
In bed I had a basket with all my vital Paraphernalia which my slave transported downstairs when I decamped for the day. You get bored of asking, so having everything together helps a lot.
I also purchased one of those trays on legs - great for meals in bed in the early days and also when working on either a laptop or iPad (no pressure on the legs) Bought from Amazon. :chillpill:
Got a phone App (Medisafe) free to download to prompt me what to take and when. It is compartmentised into sections of the day, even the type and colour of pill you have to take and has an audible reminder you can set and you dismiss them as you take them. I found it helped with brain fuzz. :scratch:
 
Today has been terrific! I've been more aware of what I'm doing and taking the time to stop and think. And most importantly, the dog is home and I don't know who is happier! He lifts my spirits and is a total joy.


Sent from my iPhone using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
Ugh, I need an ice-pack so badly but it'll disturb the dog if I go into the kitchen, then he'll scrabble on the bedroom door. Not a very pleasant night, I shall have to call OS office this morning about extreme skin sensitivity and burning feeling. It's not at the incision site, rather above it around that ugly little belly flap which I guess is a badge of courage after having given birth to four large babies many moons ago! It's seriously sore though and affecting my sleep. No rash but some red marks and extreme soreness. So easy to find oneself scratching at it even though I try not to.


Sent from my iPhone using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
Poor you - sleepless in Seattle, uncomfortable and itching. Do feel for you. Yes, do call the OS office and get their advice. I wonder if @JMACCA's suggestion of nappy rash cream would work? Or could it be eczema? Let us know how you get on. I'm sorry I cannot recall what help you may have at home. Do you have any means of communicating when you need help? I made sure my mobile phone was fully charged up before I retired at night so I could call my hubby in the adjacent room if necessary. Actually I never needed to - and frankly as he could sleep through a nuclear explosion I'm not entirely sure this bright idea would have worked. Do keep us posted. Will be looking out for you :console2:
 
@Miss Muffet
I do have help at home, my husband, but I'm sleeping on the main level of the house at the moment and he's in our bedroom upstairs. I did text him but he probably didn't hear it, and I hate to actually phone him! I was just being sorry for myself. I'm thinking that perhaps the dog should sleep upstairs too while I'm in the guest room, I'm more concerned about disturbing him when I get up at night. As far as the soreness is concerned, I've been using Lanacane and Gold Bond, I will probably tough it out for a couple more days since I have my first PT appointment on Friday and if necessary I can arrange to see one of the nurses then. I'm doing well with just a cane, the "log leg" effect has gone and today I'm going to have a shower, with my husband's help, of course. We have a really large shower with a built-in bench and plenty of room for a shower chair so I should be fine. Anyway, thanks for your concern and I need to improve my attitude!!


Sent from my iPhone using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
@sinijoma everything seems very daunting at first. Just take things very slow and steady. And yes, make sure the dog is in a safe place before you move around. You don't want to risk a fall.

Enjoy that shower!
 
@sinijoma - you're so generous. I think I would have been far more selfish and got that ice when I wanted it! I expect you'll find that the need for it through the night may diminish, so I'm sure if you have a nice cosy chat with your husband and actually ring him if you're in dire need he'll understand. I'm absolutely certain my hubby would NOT hear a text - actually he doesn't even notice them during daylight hours and often doesn't respond, so I'd be stumped if I needed to use that method.
So glad to hear the log effect has gone - each day brings new revelations eh and hope the shower was as wonderful as I imagined. PS - there's nothing wrong with your attitude. I think you're doing fine.
 
My oh my, that shower was terrific!! I feel like a new woman. And then i got dressed, which also feels good. P.J.'s are comfortable but getting dressed makes you feel like you're getting back to normal!


Sent from my iPhone using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
Hi @sinijoma I just want to chime in about the diaper cream for inflamed areas like under boobs and belly. I use Zincofax and it works a charm! Congrats on the speed of your recovery, you are doing really well! :thumb:
 
So glad the shower experience was as good as you hoped, and agree that getting dressed makes us feel more human and less 'hospitalised'
 
Tomorrow will be one week since my surgery and now the dust has settled, as it were, I wanted to let others know about some odd and ends that I was thinking about while waiting for my husband to come downstairs and make that wonderful first cup of coffee!
Here goes - boxers (women). I had anterior approach so the incision is just where the leg of my underwear would be. I found some amazing boxers by Jockey called Skimmers. They're pricey but so comfortable. Subsequently, I found cheaper versions at Target, Marshalls and online at Amazon. They have the added benefit of stopping chafing with bare legs under a skirt. And they come in different lengths.
Next, years ago I got a dozen long handled plastic shoehorns from IKEA for 99 cents. I've given them to our sons for use when we visit (although I believe they were also used as swords and light sabers!)
I got my walker from Goodwill Stores, virtually brand new for $7.99. They also had a good variety of canes and crutches. (I'm using hiking poles that I already owned.)
Amazon and EBay are excellent sites for discounted aids, much cheaper than using medical supply stores. You can often improvise from items you may already have, like using a sturdy resin patio chair in the shower.
I didn't get a toilet seat raiser as when we replaced our toilets a few years ago, I selected ADA approved toilets.
Just a few thoughts and my husband has just texted to say he's on his way downstairs to make coffee - yay!


Sent from my iPhone using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
Yikes, I did something this afternoon, maybe stood up awkwardly or walked too much, but now I have a deep-seated pain in my hip also pain at the outer side of my knee. It's not different pain but intense. I took 2 5mg Vicodin at 10:00 when I went to bed, plus my usual 15 mg Temazepam, those in combination usually work well and fast. An hour later I took another Vicodin, no help. Now it's 3 hours since the first dose and I still hurt. I dozed for a bit but cannot get in a comfortable position. I think the knee pain is the worst. I don't want to take anymore Vicodin but I need something. Perhaps I should take one 500 mg rapid release Tylenol. I have my first post-op PT appointment at 11:30 this morning, I'd love to get some sleep.


Sent from my iPhone using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
@msmo and @Miss Muffet
Well, I've pretty much decided that the soreness/rash is an allergic reaction to the adhesive on the dressing. I'm using hydrocortisone cream and although the area is still inflamed and red, it's definitely improving. Phew! One less issue to deal with. After I showered just now, I covered the steristrips with a gauze pad then used a minimal amount of hypoallergenic paper tape to secure it. The incision has been dry for several days now. Last night's leg pain is improving. Now I still have to deal with low blood pressure. In fact I'm usually hypertensive and take various medications to keep it under control. So I should probably contact my primary care physician about that. However, the new hip feels great!!!


Sent from my iPhone using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
@sinijoma - sorry you're having problems and agree you should contact your doctor. It may be a reaction. Hope you get it sorted out AND so glad to hear the new hip is doing well
 
Just got back from first PT appointment. All is well and it's okay for me to use one lightweight cane if and as needed. I now know that I shouldn't be going shopping for the first three weeks, my bad! She cancelled next week's appointments and will see me every 2 weeks for a total of 4 visits. She also suggested the low blood pressure was because I'm not drinking enough water so I'll be on top of that from now on. So all in all, an excellent report!


Sent from my iPhone using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
@sinijoma sounds like you're doing super. I cooked dinner tonight. Haven't done that in at least 3 yrs. Fried some chicken with stove top stuffing. I cooked, my daughter served. You would of thought it was my first time, I smiled the whole time. Let's dance a jig together and celebrate our good fortune!
 
@julesglass Dinner sounds yummy! We're eating meals I cooked and froze in the weeks leading up to my surgery. I had reconstructive surgery on my dominant thumb/wrist six months ago and couldn't use that hand for at least 2 months, so I was well-prepared for this go-around. Actually, it's been a great learning experience for my husband, who usually does veggies and clean-up, but had to learn how to follow recipes and cook a full meal. BTW, we're in our 53rd year of marriage! I'm lucky to have such a great helpmate.


Sent from my iPhone using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
I am so tired of mac and cheese. It's all my granddaughter will eat, so her mama makes it with every meal. So chicken and stuffing I devoured. Frozen home cooked meals are good also, better than packaged meals. Steady down the street we go smiling all the way :walking:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom