Guest viewing is limited

THR One week post THR right side

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello there those sort of experiences are really traumatic as we nurse the new hip and the muscles around it. I think most are correct and had similar with a shoulder injury. You also said pain travels down the leg you may have sustained a wee bit of nerve trauma as well, making weight bareing very painful. If so you would need a diff sort of pain relief. Good luck in getting back on track.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
@rugmankc
Sorry to hear about your setback, but I tend to agree with @AndyH99. It sounds like you had an overzealous PT and me thinks you may be overdoing it just a bit. I learned, when walking and doing light housework, to take small and deliberate steps, just to be certain I don't break any restrictions. While every step requires thought, it will pay off in the end. Hope you see improvement soon. Best of luck to you.
 
@Poppet @AndyH99 @Nana757 @Legin

Thanks guys. I will read the links. Hoping for the "overzealous" PT too. I can already tell this won't be a day or two to catch back up. The pain is not bad Andy. Sorry you had to go thru that. Will update.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @rugmankc , I followed your thread and it looks as though your recovery progression is similar to mine. I especially found it funny - the way you expressed yourself concerning the use of your cane "cane off ground as in not using it", since I did the same at week 3 1/2 with my crutches - just holding them in my hands but not using them. Alternatively, I sometimes used them as Nordic walking poles.

I don't think that thigh pain you mentioned is serious. I had the same sort of pain at weeks 3 and 4 and occasionally even now (= 4 weeks post op) after overworking my legs. The recommondation is rest and then it will go away. Like in the past 2 days, I did a lot of sport, today I'm just resting. And the sore feeling has gone. They often recommend this to hobby athletes like runners, and it works.

Maybe your thigh muscles had atrophied pre-op and need to get strong again, so the pain could be muscle soreness. That was the case with mine, because I didn't my leg properly due to bone-on-bone pain.

About gardening - I think they call it yard work in American - I like my garden, and I like working in it, too. I can relate to you wanting to do tree limbing. I don't use a reciproating saw but I use long clippers. I wouldn't do gardening before six weeks of your recovery have expired though. That's when I did some really had gardening work and also lifted the big baskets full of branches onto a sack trolley, which I then wheeled into the garage to store them until the garden service from the local authority came to pick them up. My goodness that was exhausting, but my hip felt alright.

I'm sure you'll drive soon. In Germany, they recommend that we wait 4 weeks post-op minimum before we can drive again, or until we are ready to walk without walking aids.

Keep up the good recovery - best wishes - Constanze
 
@Constanze

Thanks for reply. I think you are correct on the soreness. I was very active till my heart attack at 40. Long distance running, heavy weights etc. Since then nothing but my job, gardening/yard work, chores and up and down my two story steps. Not enough to maintain strong leg muscles.
 
It is difficult I was playing squash several times a week till I was 47 then got a silly virus that makes the world spin.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Hey @rugmankc
I'm curious...you said that you were having sore throat issues, possibly due to the tube. Are you talking about the breathing tube they insert during surgery? If so, why did you have one if you did not have general anesthesia? Just wondering...
Also, wanted to put my 2 cents in regarding your walking aids or lack thereof. I did not advance to the next aid until I could walk/glide limp free, with the walker. Then I went to the cane. Once I can continually walk limp free with one foot in front of the other, heel/toe, then I will lose the cane. I can do that, for the most part, around the house, but would never consider it outside the house, yet. There are just too many factors to consider that are not in my control, to be comfortable without a cane, in public.
It does seem that you are doing remarkably well at this stage of your recovery. Just be careful and take it slow and steady. Don't want to undo your progress. Have a great day!
 
@nana Pretty sure I had tube based on throat. Maybe I had both block and general of some level. I definitely got the spinal shot. It is ok now.

Yeah, from walker to cane is more of a feeling for me. Don't think I rushed that. My hip was shot for 7 years. So, expect quite awhile to get gait back and walk straight up. Hope you are doing well also. :)

I also do short careful steps when doing house chores etc.
 
@rugmankc
I totally get the gait thing. I was cane and crutch ridden several weeks prior to surgery and my gait suffered. It's funny how much your body adjusts to different issues. I am hoping, as you are, that my gait will return to normal, sooner than later. But, as so many BS friends have said...patience, patience, patience. Our body was abused so badly, with this surgery, it is not going to heal overnight. Keep up the good work!
 
Thanks Nana

Today is good day. So, hopefully on the mend from the over extending. Time to slowly get back into light PT in a few days. Will talk to doc on 10th as far as what I can do/not do in weeks 6-8.

Still working out sleep. The medical bed gets picked up today. Con was the vinyl covered mattress bunching up even under the bottom sheet. But, elevating legs overnight allowed me no back pain in morning. Which I had before surgery while sleeping in our regular bed. Back to normal bed and morning back pain. Mattress is in good shape and fairly firm. Always thought the pain was either referred from hip or left over from back surgery which leaves me with a scoliosis type curve in lower spine. Don't know for sure the cause of the pain. Thought about getting a raised leg rest for bed like what they give me for MRI's. But, that may make it hard to move to a pillow between legs for side sleeping. Too many items to deal with. I did pretty well on side last night. I use a wedge and pillow at head. So, may just experiment for a few nites to change angles around and see. May just go away as hip improves. :)
 
@rugmankc
I am, what my husband considers, a savant in the art of getting comfortable and sleeping on my back. All the while keeping restrictions in mind and low back pain at a minimum. It is good that you have a firm bed. Might I offer a couple of suggestions....
If you can picture this... One fairly hard pillow placed lengthwise under your op side leg, from the knee down. Then, an even fuller pillow, placed crossway under your good knee and over your op side knee..as close to your crotch as possible. This keeps you from breaking any restrictions in the middle of night. I have a 4" wedge at the head of my bed, with two other pillows staggered down. On top of all that, I also have smaller pillows placed under each arm. It looks like I'm in a coffin after all is said and done. The bottom line is this has proven to be very comfortable for me and have no trouble at all getting a good nights sleep on my back....which I was not used to. While this may not work for you or you may have to do some tweaking to suit your needs, it might be worth a try. Good luck.
Oh...and I also have a bed rail placed in the upper third portion of the bed, which has helped tremendously getting in and out of bed.
 
lol that's a lot of pillows. will look at that. no rail and it is a bit harder to get up. but, not too big a problem. forgot you can get just rails. found this at BBB. not sure i can post it. buts seems cheap way of doing your knees and being able to put btwn your legs. plus BBB is very good on returning items that don't work out. or spend a couple grand on the sleep beds with adjustments for knees and back. lol

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/st...MaviN1_8VdotEulnBxTrtPlcUKu-RVjUeQaAl9B8P8HAQ
 
That looks like it would work and serve multiple areas if it doesn't work out for the leg separation. Yes....many pillows has always been an issue with me. That's why I now have my own lady's lair, while recovering.
 
Well, week 5 brings a stronger hip and more of just walking around house with no cane. Not comfortable outdoors with that in public areas. Doing my early on PT exercises, but low reps. My main focus is my gait when walking. I think I can regain that without the high intensity PT I was given early on. It is not bad at this time. Maybe more aggressive PT after most of healing has occurred. No in-home PT service anymore. That ended at week 3.

This week I worked outside on some weed pulling and trimming. Trimming was only a short area and with a tool that was 3ft high and required no bending. Weeds were a few tall ones, no bending. And, using what we call a scuffle hoe. A tool to just scrape over mulch and cut off short weeds at base in my landscaping areas.

Pain levels continue to decrease. My leg length is still about 1/8 of an inch. Bad leg longer. Even though, as I mentioned, computer has it at 1 centimeter. My length is based on standing on bad leg and seeing how much free space is under good one. Hopefully that continues to decrease. It does seem to pose a problem with my gait. Mainly if pushing a shopping cart.

I am on no set pace to heal. I proceed each day depending on how I feel. Like this week I felt good when I did the gardening. Yesterday, more stiffness/pain. Again, pain levels are not bad and getting better. So, today some light shopping, but no walking around my court.

Evenings are the "worse", probably not the right word. But, probably due to the long day of walking and activity. Too be expected. They keep getting better too.

My main issue is still overnight. I have used all the pillow tricks mentioned. Some nights have gotten better. But, I still have no comfortable position. On my back has weight of leg settling into/onto mattress and puts strain on joint. The pain is more sharp and goes into lower leg. Not a back sleeper anyway. A new pillow from my link above arrives tomorrow. Hoping it helps. Lately even on side causes the same deep joint pain.

Overall, hip continues to get stronger and I walk easier without cane everyday. I know this is long term, so any down days are just bumps in the road and to be expected. I am happy with progress considering the previous many years of hip issues. The nights will get better. :)
 
@rugmankc
Oh those long nights can be very long and lonely (even without the pain you're experiencing)! I sure hope your special pillow will do the trick, so you can get some much needed sleep!
 
I forgot to add on sleeping, I still hurt on good side with the same sharp joint pain. Didn't have that two weeks ago. Seemed to start after my last PT when they had me walk up steps unaided. That was when I thought I overstretched the muscles/ligaments around the socket. So, still confused on that. Hopefully another week and that issue will subside or disappear.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom