THR On the other side of surgery

Barbara...you're a saint. What you're dealing with currently is a lot. We are here for support so if you're having a bad day, or simply need to vent, we're good listeners.
Sending a hug. :console2:
@barbloki
 
Wanted to mention some products in case your grocer has a pharmacy that carries one or more of these
lotions / creams you can add to your order if you don't have anything to use at home for the itching.

The skin around your incision can become dry and itchy while healing. Although it is okay to put lotion or cream on the surrounding skin if it is uncomfortable, you should not apply anything close to or on the stitches or incision without the approval of your surgeon. It normally takes four to six weeks for the incision to fully heal and close. You don't want to risk infection by applying a product near an open area before that time. Some of the more common creams and lotions used on a healed incision are Bio-Oil, Vitamin E Oil, E45 Cream, Palmer's Cocoa Butter Lotion with Vitamin E, and Coconut Oil.

The one exception to the guidance in regard to applying products topically over your incision is a product called ACTIVE AntiMicrobial Hydrogel Spray. This product contains hypochlorous (HOCL), a compound made naturally by your body to promote healing. It can be applied to your incision at any point during recovery - it's a germ fighter as well as a healing and moisturizing agent. Discuss its use with your surgeon before using it. You will find a link at the top right of the page in a sidebar ad you can click on.
 
1:15am, wide awake. I just cannot sleep. And I'm bored so I'm doing laundry. That was interesting getting the hamper to the laundry and the dirty laundry into the washer. I love my grabber! :)

Hubby is still in a lot of pain with his groin incision. He's all upset that he dripped blood on the living room rug. I told him it's not big deal and we can call Stanley Steemer after this is all over with.

I guess I'll go make coffee.
 
When I first was able to get downstairs to washer & dryer I loaded the clothes into a big plastic trash bag &/threw them down the stairs! Necessity is the mother of invention!
It’s amazing the ways we find to accomplish every day things when we need to.
Maybe you can nap this afternoon.
Best wishes to your husband as well.
 
Good Morning!
Hopefully you fell back asleep after middle of the night laundry and coffee. :fingersx:
Glad you found a way to get the laundry into the laundry room. When stairs are involved, early on I used the over the railing fling as well to get unbreakable items to the lower level of my home. A girls gotta do, what a girls gotta do, right? :wink: The grabber was my favorite assistive device and I know many others feel the same...invaluable!
Sorry hubby is in pain, hopefully it begins easing soon. This has been a real test for you, you're stronger than you likely imagined you'd need to be, or expected to be this early on. Wishing you both comfort and strength for today.
@barbloki
 
12:53am, wide awake. Got a few hours of sleep but had a nightmare, woke up and went pee, back to sleep and had another vivid dream, woke up and got up at 11:55pm. I know this is all part of the healing process but I need to sleep! I'm really starting to get annoyed with my body.
I have to drive hubby to his surgeon follow up today and the appt is at 2:45pm. We're going to start getting into the car at 1:45pm because we're both moving slow, it's a 35 minute drive, then getting out of the car and walking to the building and finding this surgeon's office.
Hubby's wound is an open wound in the groin area so I have to pack it with wet gauze and change it a few times per day. Insurance doesn't cover any of these supplies so it's getting expensive. I ordered all of it from Amazon, thank God for Amazon. We are going through bed pads like crazy because we are using them on his recliner and on the bed when I have to change his dressing. Since the wound is open and it drips, I'm wishing I had some Depends for him to wear to the dr office. I do have some leftover incontinence pads that were my MIL's before she passed away. I'm going to put one in his underwear before we leave for the dr. Then I'll stop at Walgreen's on the way home to get real Depends. I don't even know what size or type to get for him. I'm guessing the men's version has the padding more towards the front but he needs it more towards the center/back so I may get the women's version.
I spent most of Sunday on the hospital bed that I rented. I'm so glad I rented that thing. It's so much easier to get in and out of because I can lower it to where I need it and just fall into it and roll out of it. Plus it has hand rails so I can hold on and maneuver myself. My bed at home is too high and I can't get into it yet. We're also using the hospital bed so I can change hubby's dressing. He gets on it and raises it up as high as it will go so I don't break my hip restrictions. That first day we got him home from the hospital was brutal because I did a lot of care taking and bending. My hip was killing me on Friday and Saturday. Also both of my knees were hurting from getting in and out of the recliner. It takes a lot of strength for me to get in and out. I'm just not ready yet.
Sorry I'm rambling on. It's after 1am and I'm wide awake. Hubby is asleep in his recliner so there's no one to talk to. Thanks for listening.
 
Oh my. I can feel your frustration & anxiety. I sure wish you had some help. All you are doing for your husband is admirable but it can really set you back on your personal recovery. Please try & take care of yourself too.
See if you can buy those larger sanitary napkins & use them inside the Depends for his wound. We’ve done that for my partners Mom who has dementia. Works very good at absorbing extra fluid.
In the meantime I’m sending you a big hug!
 
Barbara, I really feel for you. You are handling so much while still healing yourself. For the time being, try to get sleep whenever you're able. Take naps if you can. There will be time later when you're both feeling stronger to get back on your desired sleep schedule. Nothing is normal for you right now, so get rest when you're able.

Have you ever tried placing a large trash bag on the car seat to help you swivel into front facing (windshield) position with ease? If not, consider trying it.
Safe travels to and from your husbands appointment today.
@barbloki
 
If the expense of the bed pads gets to be too much for you, you could place a trash bag with a towel or two on top on the bed when you change the dressing. You’ll have more laundry, but at least you won’t have to continue buying the bed pads.

I’m so sorry you are having to go through all this along with your own recovery. You are doing such a great job in a very difficult situation. Hopefully things will start to improve soon for both of you. I am truly amazed at your strength. Hubby is a lucky man.
 
We saw my husband's surgeon today for a follow up. He found another cyst and admitted him to the hospital. He's having another surgery tomorrow. I'm on my own again.
My hip is bothering me and my knee and ankle are really bothering me. What the heck did they do to my ankle? It looks like it has strap impressions across the top. It will be 5 weeks tomorrow. It should be gone by now. I should be feeling better, not worse. I'm so discouraged.
 
The skin around your incision can become dry and itchy while healing.
You can say that again. I put some Jergen's lotion on and it felt like my skin sucked it right in. I have some Curel Itch Defense lotion that is also helping. I still have the red hot scab spot which is why he put me on antibiotics. It feels like it rips there every time I get into and out of bed.
 
It is understandable that you're discouraged, Barbara. Caring for your husband as you have, basically putting his needs before yours has likely taken a little bit of a toll on your progress. Know though, that it is common to still have discomfort and stiffness in nearby joints such as your knee and ankle. An altered gait, if you're favoring your injured leg can be causing the soreness you describe. Caring for hubby with a more complicated wound has to be emotionally exhausting. While I'm sorry to hear he is back in the hospital, it's probably the best place for him to be to get the attention he currently needs and hopefully this time will allow you some rest and peace of mind knowing he's well cared for.

If you're bothered by what you described as strap marks on your ankle, don't hesitate to contact your surgeons care team to see if you can forward a photo of anything that you're questioning. Ask them to take a look and advise. I am sure they will. Take these next few days for gentle movement, continue icing / elevating for relief from swelling and discomfort, pace your activities and get some rest.

Be careful not to get any lotions or creams on the incision, especially the portion that is not fully healed.
Keep in mind that five weeks is still very early into the recovery process. It can take many months before all feels like its falling into place. Hang in there, you are strong and you can do this.
 
I sorry to read your husband needs another surgery, Barbara. I can understand why you are feeling discouraged. This is taking a big toll on you; you are still very early in recovery and your body isn't able to put all its energy into healing when you have to take care of someone else.

Try to rest while he is in the hospital so you can gather some strength. Keep us posted.
 
Just when you think there is enough on your plate, one more thing is added. I hope your Husband does well with this second surgery and they get everything so he can start to heal.
Take care of yourself during this challenging time.
 
Hello Barbara,
How is it going the last couple of days? I hope you're getting some well deserved rest and hearing encouraging news on hubby? Let us know, we're here for you and don't want you to feel alone in all you're going through.
May today be a good day! :)
@barbloki
 
I got a lot of sleep while hubby was in the hospital. I brought him home yesterday afternoon and it's back to care giving. It's really hard for me to bend over and pack/unpack his incisions. He has 2 now so it's even more effort. I have him get on the hospital bed that I rented for myself and he raises it as high as it will go so I don't have to bend too much. It's just a bad location for the incisions (perineum). I never even knew we had a perineum until this all happened. It's my job to keep it clean and packed and change the dressings. He feels guilty and keeps apologizing which makes it worse. Ugh. I can't wait for this to be over. I wonder how long it takes for these to heal?
I'm supposed to start outpatient PT tomorrow. I'm looking forward to getting stronger but not the pain that comes with it. My surgeon refilled my hydrocodone this week so I have that for when I need it. I've been off the Tylenol and Advil for 2 days now so I guess that's good. Slow and steady progress.
I'm so glad this group exists so there's someone to listen to me complain. Thanks everyone.
 
Have you looked into the possibility of having Home Health come and do those packing/unpacking duties for you? Check with your GP or the social worker at the hospital where he was. This should have been an option for you upon his release from the hospital, but sadly sometimes it’s not mentioned. Most insurance will cover this after a hospital stay. Especially in your case since you are recovering from surgery, I would think approval for it would be a no-brainer. This would really help you.
 
@barbloki There are several visiting nurse programs in North Carolina ... I don't know how much they cost but it looks like they might be at least partially covered by insurance



At least take a look and see if any of these services could be of help to you and your husband
 
Last edited:

Members online

Back
Top Bottom