THR on my way here, ready for my first new hip

Status
Not open for further replies.
At least the weather is nice again here @Cynthia777, 26 degrees again today and all day cricket school tournament which I will go watch. Hey ho forecast is 15 for weekend! Don't you just love our weather. Daughter coming home with family from Australia in July and she is frozen at 18 degrees as its their winter. Ha ha, she will be lucky to get that for our summer.
 
Insist, @shirleyH .
I'm 41 and my surgeon did both with no hesitation so age shouldn't be an issue. I can't tell you how marvellous it is - and that's two weeks after the second surgery. I know there's a chance I might need them done again (the surgeon was very clear on this) but I didn't see any point in sitting around in pain when I could be using my new hips to live my life. The second recovery with the less damaged hip is much easier so far. There's also the mental aspect. It's hard to stay positive when you know things are just going to get worse whereas recovery is a challenge but one with a happy ending.
 
@shirleyH
Wow, I can't believe your surgeon thinks age 62 is too young for a THR! I can't understand why he thinks there's much of a difference in longevity whether you're 62 or 63. Maybe he has concerns other than your age?
 
Says I am too young and my activity levels may mean further replacements in years to come.
I just don't understand this thinking. Either the OS has no confidence in the materials he is using or no confidence in his ability to do long lasting work. How is it his place to determine that you should suffer based on his beliefs? I know things are different in the UK, but if I were you I would look for another OS.
Kyle
 
@shirleyH, what your surgeon says makes no sense, since he just did a THR on you on April 18! If you need one, you need one, regardless of your age. Bone-on-bone-spasms sound horrible enough to justify it. I had a THR, even though I had only had one really bad spell of the horrendous pain. I also had constant background noise pain that got worse after ten minutes of walking, and I was always using two trekking poles, and had awful range of motion. He says 62 is too young, yet he did one on you already?
 
Well good news is I twisted his arm very gently (he said i could) and he said, go on then. My new date is 11th October, yikes, next week!!I know this one is nowhere near the pain and disability levels of the right one but I also know how quickly it deteriorated last time. Good luck to everyone and @Miss Muffet, I hope you get your new date soon. See you later guys.:fingersx:
 
Well in my experience the quicker you get that hip replaced the faster the recovery. Less pain and disability means you have not developed a bad limp or gait issues that are just the pits to try and correct. All the best next week!
 
Hi! @shirleyH - gosh that seems to have come out of the blue but how wonderful to get a date so quickly. Ever so slightly green, but really hope to follow in your tracks before too long. You'll be my "second hip mentor" so I'll come knocking for definite. :friends:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom