THR on my way here, ready for my first new hip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok @Cynthia777 and @shirleyH, it's time for a pep talk!

Shirley, you will be fine when the pain wears off, but keep taking the meds and they will ensure you are as comfortable as possible. It's very early days, but keep positive and don't try to do too much too soon. It's really boring I know, but try to keep busy with other things. I just happened to acquire a new laptop just before my op and that has given me a focus, plus a lot of frustration!!

Cynthia, think about how you would advise somebody in your position. It will be so much better when you have had the op. No you won't simply throw down your sticks and start running immediately, (unless @Miss Muffet's email receives a positive response), but with sensible rehab following the BS mantras, you know you will be ok, in fact very ok!

Best
Peter
 
:blackcloud:A quick update which has me feeling a bit down and not sleeping tonight, last night in hospital. My surgeon came to see me today and said my hip had been really bad but he had noticed during surgery that my back was in a bad way with arthritis. I don't think there is much I can do about that apart from exercise and weight loss which I hope will come as I recover having put on about 30lbs since last year due to immobility.(and comfort eating I suppose). I used to suffer with back stiffness but over the last few years it has been fine. Maybe because you feel the worst pain first. So when I get my new left hip later, I could end up with backache again!!! Grrrr.:bricks:
 
@shirleyH, too bad about what your surgeon said. I am not a medical professional, but I wonder how he could have seen arthritis in your back during hip surgery? I thought it took x-rays or MRI imaging of the spine, along with a description of symptoms and physical exam, to determine that. So maybe you will, and maybe you won't have back problems later on. But if you are worried, then when you are more recovered from your THR, you could go and have an appointment just about your back and perhaps get some of those tests done. Knowing for sure, one way or the other, is better than wondering! Just my two cents... Hope you have a good recovery!
 
@Krista I did wonder myself but perhaps X-rays are taken in the theatre and lying on my side it may have shown my spine. I shall enquire at the six week appointment:chinstroke:
 
Happy to be home albeit messy, what does it matter in the scheme of things. I already seem better pottering around on one stick so I can "grab" clothes toys etc off floor. Sent hubs to watch boys play football match. Bet he comes back saying I can manage and he can go to work tomorrow! No chance mate.:rotfl:
 
@shirleyH - so sorry you're feeling down. :friends: Personally I would take this one step at a time. I had back pain (referred I'm sure) which I perceive seems better already. It's true less weight means less pressure on our joints and I've heard so many stories about people dropping plenty postOp. That is my next goal as I don't only want to feel better but to look better too! Home is good, but just watch out you don't overdo it. Remember the BS rules - if it won't die, don't do it ( my personal favourite. Could easily turn into a complete lush). I had a returning home dip because everything was worked out for me there and I had to have a hard, clear think about managing myself, but you settle into a routine quickly. Take it steady and make sure you ICE! :ice::ice:
 
Sounds like you're doing a bit too much. Once the family sees you're doing better, their expectations start rising. Milk this for all its worth...that's my motto! :heehee:
In all seriousness, please don't overdo it and as @Miss Muffet mentioned...ICE, ICE AND MORE ICE. Hope you're doing well. :)
 
Hi @shirleyH...just popping in to say Hi and sending well wishes!:flwrysmile: I read through your postings and curious why they don't give you ice and it's not recommended ? And no pain meds? Is that because you are still on the morphine? I remember always having ice, although I did have to constantly ask for it.

As for those having a clue what we have/are going through...don't expect much! Until they 'walk in these shoes' they will remain clueless! I do like @Cynthia777 suggestion to show a video of what the procedure looks like....IF you can get them to watch it!:snork:

Slow and steady and all will be well!:)
 
Cynthia777, Miss Muffet, PS46 Hi, I'm back. :loveshwr:

Just been chilling for a day or so as I think I must have been a bit euphoric and enthusiastic when I got home. My ribs are in excruciating pain and I am finding it really painful to walk because of them. Just left side (op was on right hip) It was my glutes initially, so I am probably walking in all sorts of funny stances again. Must straighten up! Hip is fab, just a bit of scar ache and swelling in ankle. Leg is going down gradually. Noticed tiny bit of yellow on dressing so my nurse friend is going to change dressing today. Feeling cross with myself for trying to go quicker than I could.

@keepmovin I do have paracetamol and dyhydrocodeine and blood thinners to take which work for any pain except the ribs apparently! And they are sufficient. I have no inflammation so maybe that's why they said they didn't recommend it, if it's not broken don't try fix it eh?

@Josephine should I heat or ice or alternate for ribs as its impeding my walking and of exercises. Did you see I was in spire in Leeds?

@cynthia hope you are well prepared for the 26th :friends:I will be back and watching out for you. Good look one and all, sorry for going on a bit. :flwrysmile:
 
I'm guessing it's because you were laid in that side during your Op. I had similar slight discomfort but it's gone now. It's so easy to be filled with euphoria immediately postOp isn't it. I was exactly the same, then I had a worn out day. I've learned that pacing myself is key as a result. I iced like something possessed throughout the first week (did you get that? I'm now able to say "The First Week"!) and now almost don't think about it. As a result my bruising and swelling is practically nil. And in such a short time! This means movement is SO much easier and therefore not something to be apprehensive about. My simple exercises are a testament to this as I can see progress in a daily basis. I get hubby to photograph my wound every morning and the difference is noticeable. Wishing you well @shirleyH - make sure the troops are doing their bit to help you (I'm sure they are, but don't hold back)
 
@shirleyH, that's awful about the excruciating rib pain! Have you had that particular pain ever since the surgery? The only time I ever had pain in ribs like that was after a fall a couple of years ago. I had the spasms, all that hurtful stuff going on, and it was a full 4 weeks before the pain went away. Recently I had a bone scan (for other reasons) and could clearly see on the scan that I had broken that back rib. Hope you don't have a break, but, even if you do, time will take care of it. It must make it so much more difficult to walk or use that arm to help you with your walking aids, though. Wishing you the best in your recovery!
 
@shirleyH will you please not use multiple tags at the top of your posts?

Users with mobile devices report that it makes it very difficult for them to access a post well as they get in the way. Also your friends who have previously posted to you will be watching your thread so there's really no need to do it anyway. I have deactivate the tags.

We did make an announcement about this no so long ago Use of multiple tags or alerts in posts



My surgeon came to see me today and said my hip had been really bad but he had noticed during surgery that my back was in a bad way with arthritis. I don't think there is much I can do about
Yes, there is - go see a chiropractor! He'll sort it out for you.
I wonder how he could have seen arthritis in your back during hip surgery? I thought it took x-rays
Well, duh - when they xrays hips it includes a bit of the spine!

[Bonesmart.org] on my way here, ready for my first new hip


My ribs are in excruciating pain
Oh dear, I've no idea how that could have happened. If I were you, I'd make a point of asking your surgeon if anything untoward occurred in the OR or recovery room. You've a right to know.
@Josephine should I heat or ice or alternate for ribs as its impeding my walking and of exercises.
Whatever works for you, my dear.
 
Hi @shirleyH , it's great that you've had a good experience and are doing so well so soon! I'll be checking in on your thread as I'm right behind you, date not yet confirmed.

Hi @Cynthia777, I hear ya, have given up trying to explain to family. Think it's a case of.. until it happens to you. We've a family friend who zipped through her thr and was back to work within two weeks (works on her feet, she's superwoman to me) so they think it's like getting a root canal on your hip joint -I can only hope!

It's great to read these positive experiences and thanks to those who post their stories, it really helps when you're awaiting your turn.
 
Hi @shirleyH - good to see you back!

Pleased to see that your hip is working well. Just take it easy and don't try to do too much - you have only been home for a short time ...

The swelling and bruising do go down pretty quickly and you will see a marked change every week. I tend to do it that way, rather than day to day, to cater for the "not too good" days and put them in perspective

Keep up the good work
Peter
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom