BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

[BILATERAL THRs] Oh 'dreams' exactly as visioned

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by mikeycat, Jun 6, 2019.

1. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United States United States
    • Like Like x 1
  2. mainegirl1

mainegirl1 member

I am so happy that things are going better for you!
    But it sounds like the hated stockings are for edema if thats what you mean by leaky legs?
    Are you able to elevate?

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. mikeycat

mikeycat senior

Canada Canada
    Leaky in this case is that they are so filled with edema/water it is literally seeping out the pores.Getting those things on is a challenge.I must use a device if I put on by myself.

4. Layla

Ugh! I can't imagine how in the world you'd get thigh high TEDS on alone.
    It seems like an exercise in futility. You deserve an award, mikeycat!
    I hope the swelling goes down soon and you're able to sneak some elevating in :fingersx:
    @mikeycat

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. CricketHip

CricketHip FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Hi @mikeycat I'm curious, is your swelling more in the lower legs? Is your surgeon aware that your legs are leaking? Sorry for the questions, but I'm trying to get a visual here. The thigh highs can really dig into the upper part of the legs, are yours doing that? I had such a nice day yesterday and thought my swelling was looking very good- as in hardly any and what there was looked manageable.. Then I decided to sit outside on the front porch and poof! My leg filled up so fast, it was ridiculous.. especially my foot and ankle, but also the thigh and incision area.
    So, back upstairs to the reclining chair and elevation/ice. It's much better again today, not where it was before sitting in the heat, though.. gosh, swelling. go away!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. mikeycat

mikeycat senior

Canada Canada
    I have always had a tendency to have edema--no health problems though. When I was pregnant my feet were like balloons. We my family have a tendency to retain water. After a basketball game my bro would 'drop' 10 lbs and me pre-menstrual would retain 15 lbs of water only to have it disappear after menses. Now with the surgery oh boy. Yes the thigh highs dig into the thigh and I have muscular legs so a real problem. Feels like they are around my throat.Well back from PT had me on some machine and walked and sat and tested my ability to get up and walk quickly and turn around . I walked the equivalent of 2-1/2 blocks so I am doing OK. Do you elevate while lying on the bed? Do you have the 90 degree restriction?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. mikeycat

mikeycat senior

Canada Canada
    Actually Layla my husband deserves the award. He put them on at 6:30am before work and was so hot doing it he had to take off his shirt and pants. It was laughable. They are something else. But strangely enough not as hot as I thought rather comfortable when I went to rehab. They are high quality and skin colour.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Layla

:rotfl: That is hilarious! You get your workout at PT and hubs gets his at home putting on your TEDS :rotfl:

Skin color helps. Mine were white and they are certainly no fashion statement. I often thought - give me a black pair of Mary Janes and I'd look like Alice in Wonderland!
    @mikeycat

• Like Like x 1
  9. CricketHip

CricketHip FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I had the Anterior approach so no limitations.. and yes, I elevate quite a bit. the recliner takes me back to almost a flat level and I place a large pillow under the length of my leg. When I am in bed I elevate even further so my leg- down to my foot- is higher than my heart.
    God bless you, wearing those support hose.. I had to do the thigh highs many years ago and I can't repeat on this forum the names that I called them at times!
    2 1/2 blocks, that is super!

• Like Like x 1
  10. mikeycat

mikeycat senior

Canada Canada
    Actually the ones I bought prior to surgery were knee highs they were black and I wore them for 6 hours to try them out and I said oh yea, this is for the birds.I didn't look so great Layla they were nylon. Can't wear these it is absurd. But when I had to wear the compression stockings post surgery the PT said thigh highs and I kinda rolled my eyes. They are custom and made of some material that is comfortable and I actually felt better with them on and as said someone was coming in everyday to put them on. They were kinda sexy. But now I have to get them on myself or with help til I get the ok next week from OS for my 6th week appointment who will remove the 90 degree restriction.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. Jamie

Jamie ADMINISTRATOR Administrator

@mikeycat ... Please ask your therapist to check those compression stockings for you. They are supposed to be snug, but not so tight as to constrict your leg like you're describing. You could also ask your GP about them. It sounds to me that your swelling is significant enough to cause them to be fitting improperly now.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. mikeycat

mikeycat senior

Canada Canada
    I have one leg which is bigger than the other due to that bite a few years ago. I am seeing the os on Tuesday and will ask him. It was the pt who recommended but even prior to surgery I had a prescription. There are different strengths mine are 20-30 mmHG. I may opt for the knee high. I notice the difference in my leg girth when wearing them and when I immediately take them off. I need to increase my water intake and elevate my legs if I could only find pillows that my legs don't roll off.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. Jamie

Jamie ADMINISTRATOR Administrator

That sounds like a plan. Let us know what your surgeon has to say.

• Like Like x 1
  14. mikeycat

mikeycat senior

Canada Canada
    Well today it's raining and so humid I can't stand it. I have put in almost 2 hours of work since 6:45 this am after hubby left. He put on those dang stockings. He says it isn't getting any easier. My legs are so much smaller-gee.
    I cleaned the kitchen, put the garbage out and recycling as well. Started a load of laundry downstairs after descending 10 stairs, folded laundry and brought it up. Cleaned the litter,spilled the cat food while feeding the cats, picked it up and tried again--succeeded. I did hubby's bed--mine just needs straightening out and changing pillowcases, swept the floors, cleaned the bathroom, dressed all before 8:30 am. I am making dinner this evening.I am so proud of myself.
    I got those walking sticks yesterday and wanted to use them today to go to the bank and grocery store but it is raining and there will be thunder storms so no go.I thought I would be sore from PT yesterday at rehab but I was actually better today. I got out of bed with ease much more so than pre-surgery. I know I am fortunate. As I read some stories here it is just heartbreaking and makes you wonder about the universe and just why.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. Layla

Ugh! Those socks....I feel for you, mikeycat
    Humidity is not my fave either, it's automatically a bad hair day, I'm sure most women would agree, lol.
    :wowspring:You've been busy today. Look how far you've come as a bilateral in a mere 5 1/2 weeks.
    You're doing really well! :yes:
    Please make sure to take time for yourself, icing prevantativly after all that activity. You've been doing SO well, I'd hate to see you sidelined in the dreaded ODIC.
    A great rest of the day to you!
    @mikeycat

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. mikeycat

mikeycat senior

Canada Canada
    Thanks Layla I was thinking the same don't want to be in the dreaded ODIC . I think I will rest as I am sure the construction guys are gone so no more noise. Anyway they start their 2 week construction holiday here--yippee.Rain makes my hair curlier which is fine as it hides the bald spots now.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
  17. Cecropia

Cecropia graduate

@mikeycat So happy to see you so happy. Your recovery is going well now. Love to hear you excited. And it's nice to get back into a more normal routine... My gripe now is I want to get on my knees and scrub all my floors by hand. Yes, I use a mop, but once a month I get down and scrub the old fashioned way. I keep testing my knees, but still no go for scrubbing yet even with my knee pads. Rats.....

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  18. mikeycat

mikeycat senior

Canada Canada
    I know of which you speak. We, my bro and I had to do the floors when we were young every Friday. I washed then polished with paste wax--ugh , then he buffed with the hard bristly pads of a polisher and then again buffed with sheepskin. I swear you could have eaten off those floors. My father was in the military ,then a firefighter and boy did we clean at home.School was a picnic.
    I use PineSol as all my floors except the kitchen are hardwood and it leaves a nice sheen.I used to get on all fours but I don't anymore-- good for you. I don't want to get on my knees. Prior to surgery when I did that it took forever to get up and I thought I would have to stay on my knees. Hubby painted the house in the fall so all is ok there. He is also a fanatic re cleaning.I have to walk into a place that looks like no one lives there. It looks like someone lives here now with all my paraphernalia. I am hoping to rid myself of this stuff soon minimalist however I think of all the books--most behind doors in pine furniture-very secret.
    How are your knees? How are you?

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. mikeycat

mikeycat senior

Canada Canada
    oh oh they are talking about dangerous thunderstorms which can produce heavy gusts,tornadoes(we had one- first in my life) 2 years ago that took down our trees and bricks, flash flooding. Getting worried here. It is getting dark.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. Cecropia

Cecropia graduate

@mikeycat
    I'm doing okay... Hope you did not get a Tornado. I had my phone on charge and was mopping floors. We have sunshine here. 80 degrees. Yesterday was 90. It was a killer. I do one chore a day. Vacuumed yesterday. Mopped today. Tomorrow dust. My energy level is improving, but I'm definitely not out of the woods as far as some minor pain if I overdo.

• Friendly Friendly x 1