Guest viewing is limited

Officially a Hippie - LTHR on July 31

Day 9 on new left hip. Nothing really new to report which I consider good news. I changed my avatar picture this morning. It is with my walking stick which I'm using to some extent. When I got the all clear to drive on my right side, I'd drive to a parking spot, then for the first few steps use this stick to feel my way - as if imitating a sight impaired person - to see if anyone would wonder why I was driving and using the stick in this manor. There are crazy drivers in Dallas so if anyone noticed they probably thought I fit right in.
 
@a0167913 glad to hear that you're moving along well! Your right is two months old, happy monthiversary to it!

I am wishing I had a very light folding cane for pretty much the humorless version of your tale. I think I ought to have it in the grocery store just to indicate I am not quite as fast as I might be. Carrying the regular one will have to do. That one also comes in handy for closing car doors-- my ancient Volvo has those awful really long front doors, and it hurts to bend at the groin far enough to grab the handle to close it!
 
:yay::wow: Congrats we are pulling for you. I have hip 2 due to go in on September 13 I hope it goes as well as my first no one. Give it time you sound be like it's going well
@Aussie Girl
Well, so am right with you, my 2nd is schedule for September 11.
Good thoughts for both of us

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
 
@a0167913 sounds like you're doing great!! It is interesting doing them close together and I experienced a lot of the same things you did. By the way, I was concerned about keeping up the pt progress with THR1, but didn't really need to be concerned as it was compensating for recovering THR2 and so was working hard enough. When I started outpatient pt about 3 weeks after THR2, it only took about a week before my two hips/legs were about equal.

Keep up the good work!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
susan12369, that is great to hear!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
 
It really is amazing what our bodies are capable of doing (with the help of a little titanium [emoji23])!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
So days 10-11 were a little more sore. I have cut off THR oxy. My concern was oxy is masking pain and I may have been over doing the recovery walks and pt exercises some. Tylenol is ok but I am counting the days till I can take an ibuprofen tablet assuming I even need one. I went to the bike shop yesterday and found some motivation to heal up.

ao16.jpg



Sent from my iPhone
 
Last edited by a moderator:
ooo-la-la what a bike! We all try undermedicating at least once...it's hard to find the balance between what's right to keep us mobile and what we need as a signal for having overdone it. Sometimes if we are very smart (I myself am not known for this), we will get it just right, AND pre-emptively not overdo it. Keep up the good work!
 
Day 13 - Lucky Day 13 - I was in high cotton till last night. I went into the garage yesterday evening to turn off the lawn sprinklers and nearly tripped hard on a pole. I torqued the living '****' out of my new left hip. I feel like I am back on day 2 at the moment. I can put weight on the leg and a few steps so I don't think or hope I did not damage to my new hardware. So hopefully it's just muscle issues at this time. I guess the lesson learned is we all are not healed up until the hip says we are healed up.

@dougie0216 - good strategy on the placement of your bike. I bet the weather in Elgin is close to Dallas, but in 4-6 weeks the temps should start going down making it great bike riding weather.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@a0167913 Sounds like you just have some angry muscles and soft tissues from that near miss. Falls and near falls are very jarring at this stage in recovery. You may be sore in lots of places in the next few days. Ice and elevate and do take pain meds. Hopefully a bit of rest will ease things.
I guess the lesson learned is we all are not healed up until the hip says we are healed up.
:thumb:
 
@Jaycey - thank you for your message. I was very worried last night and early this morning I had done some damage but things are much better today. I did take an oxycodone this morning which took alot of the edge off. Other than being 'scolded' by my wife I think things are OK.
 
These implants are very tough. But all the trauma to the area around the joint is still a bit tender. Glad you are feeling better today. Onward and upward!
 
Hi @Josephine, thank you for the links you sent me. I've been averaging 2000 mg of Tylenol a day for the last 8 days. I am on day 13 of recovery for the new Left Hip surgery. The doctor has me taking Tylenol as needed for the first 28 days. I haven't had any ibuprofen yet. I'll wait until after the 28 days are up. I'm feeling very lucky right now as the pain from yesterday's near trip is mostly gone.
 
@a0167913 Christian, I'm glad to hear you a) didn't go crashing to the floor and b) are recovering well from the trauma! I keep having to tell myself to stop walking around on auto-pilot. That pile of junk in yonder corner will trip me up if I don't pay attention!
 
Day 15 - I had my first post-op check up with the doc this morning. Everything looked very good. I have the green light to do almost anything I want to as long as it doesn't hurt. The doc said to go slow and easy at first but also said these new hips were made to be put to use. Next appointment is not until November. I take this as I am now in the 'beginning of the end" phase for my hip recovery! Pain started 3 years ago so it's been a year to figure out what was wrong, a year to go thru the hip steroid injections, then really a year to decide to proceed with these replacement surgeries. PT is coming today and I'm going to start the discharge process for home therapy.
 
sounds great @a0167913 ! Wow, not until November, lucky you! Your OS has a good head on his shoulders, "hips meant to be put to use" is perfect! Your body will keep in touch with you, and you may find yourself continually surprised and delighted that "the end phase" just keeps getting better and better for a long time.
 
@Jaycey and @Josephine - I have a Tylenol question. If my pain level is less than a 2 then am I receiving any benefit by taking 2 Tylenol's? For the past week I average 2000 mg of Tylenol per day. My main complaint is stiffness in the thigh / incision area, but no real dull or throbbing pain. If the benefit of Tylenol is to help mask pain, I'm thinking I am better off at this point not taking any and saving the Tylenol if the pain increases. I'm close to 3 weeks now post op on the new left hip (7/31). Thanks!!!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom