Officially a Hippie - LTHR on July 31

Sounds like you have this. You have experience now and know about what to expect. At my 6 week checkup Dr said only reason for PT is if your not doing it yourself.
 
I am calling today - Day 4 - pain ball day. As like the first hip this is the time the surgical pain ball reliever starts to wear off. I keep reading every person is different and I am discovering every hip is different. The pain isn't too bad on the new left hip compared to the June 8 right hip - so hope that continues - but I can tell today is a little different. I also experienced a ton of swelling on the left thigh yesterday but it is much better today. Per all the information on this site, I kept ice on the thigh most of the night and somewhat elevated. I continue to be more mobile this time around - just bored from being home so much. For Don @zauberflfote - I agree that PT can be expensive for just wiggling toes. I have been doing sets on the new hip using the original instructions from the June 8th hip. I found a nice phone app which counts seconds and number of reps - essentially the same thing the PT person does the first few weeks. My goal for this round of PT is to fix my walking gate and hope the good relationship I have with the PT person will help. My left femur was basically forming a new socket on it's own so it had impacted my walking recovery on the right hip. So now with two brand new sockets I hope to fix and have smother walking in the next 2-6 weeks and the mobility I am feeling with the new hip is encouraging. I really like this site because it helps me both vent a little bit and helps document the recovery process. I am also encouraged when I read about all the progress other folks make on their recovery journey as well. Thanks all - Christian
 
Wow! @a0167913
Two new hips only weeks apart......don't know how people do it!
Wishing you a speedy recovery and a nice weekend!
 
The boredom is what makes us want to do to much. Glad you are taking it easy. Wishing you well!!!:egypdance:
 
@a0167913 Christian, that was one great typo you pulled for my screen name, I LOVE it, and I have been called lots of typos of that before. Hint: just type the @ and then zau, and wait about 2 seconds-- my name will pop up in a little box nearby, for you to hit Enter, and no more fluffleflutes! Also, Don is not my name-- it is to me what junior member is to you-- the more posts you make, the higher your designation. "Don" just means I talk a Whole Lot :snork:

What is this "pain ball"? My OS does a little nerve block, but it starts wearing off after a few hours and you're on your own. I also had way more swelling for this hip, but as I am 4 years older, I guess that's par for the course....

We all get so enthusiastic because we feel so very good! You have months and months to work on your gait-- and since you must have had extensive reconstruction, your hips might appreciate time to heal. I was all ready to have a six-week total recovery for the first one-- little did I know that my body was in charge and I had to sit back and let it do its thing. I did do some pushing of it, and it landed me with chronic tendonitis, which is no picnic. So, this hip, my mantra is chill, laid back, relax, let the pain and swelling resolve,,,,,patience is so hard, I'm telling you!!
 
Gosh @zauberflöte - I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to and hope I didn't offend. It was that 'special character' on the O which threw me off. 'Pain Ball' may be a generic term my surgeon - Dr. Hohman in Dallas who is awesome by the way - was using to state he uses alot of pain medicine at the source to treat pain. I am now at day 5 and feeling even more confident on the recovery. Your correct on the gait - it didn't get this bad in 4 weeks so it will take longer than 4 weeks to improve. However, with 2 good hips now my walking (cane, walker, solo) is so much better than it was on July 31. Thanks - Christian
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@a0167913 of course I'm not offended, I'm so sorry you thought that!!!!!!!!!!:console2: I know, the umlaut was available to me on the computer I was using when I signed up here 4+ years ago, but apparently the plain "o" gets the same result, as that's how I have to sign in now! My all-time favorite was "zauberflolute" which showed up on the original "I Can Has Cheeseburger" site as a typo, but we kept it running around. It was very "dry", as we southern ladies like to say here and only here LOLOL @Layla @Mojo333 @MyAussieGirl
 
High flolute 'n...as we dry southern ladies like to say.
@0167913...we will go ahead and pick on you since you are new.
I never went on chat forums in my life and why in the world did you make your name all numbers so my blind foggy brain can try to remember.
I have the most aggravating password long and here I am 3 days post-op trying to log in.
I was like...what was I thinking???
 
@Mojo333 :rotfl::rotfl: and it's nothing dirty after all, is it? :rotfl::rotfl:

'scuse us, Christian, we'll leave you to your thread now... however, you are one dry man! (it's a compliment!)
 
For sure. Christan. Keep us posted on how you are doing!!!
 
Happy Hip Day to me! 60 days now officially on the right and almost 7 days to the minute on the left. I just completed what I call a 'milestone' walk a few minutes ago. The biggest difference I have noticed so far for hip recovery is during the first few weeks I worried too much for the new right hip. Any tweak, pull, soreness, whatever - I felt something bad was happening or about to happen. Now on the left - I just go 'the damn thing is just healing'. I made a cardinal sin yesterday and forgot to take the pain meds. I've cut down to about 75% of what is prescribed and I went like 12 hours without either oxy or tylenol. I could barely move late yesterday evening, but today with my milestone walk things are much better. I'll stick with the schedule today!
 
wow @a0167913 you have just nailed how I am feeling about my second! For the first one I'd draw little diagrams of how the pain was, and wonder what was up, and this one I'm saying exactly what you're saying-- fuggedabouddit, it's just healing! So what is your "milestone" walk? To a certain place? A certain distance? Includes 100 burpees? Inquiring minds....
 
Milestone may have been a strong word - we had a cool front come thru last night so I took a small stroll on our street. It just felt nice to be outside! I wish 100 burpees - it was probably the weighted burpees in 2015 which started this '$*%&%@*/' for my hips in the first place. [Bonesmart.org] Officially a Hippie - LTHR on July 31
 
Great news. Yes, Josephine preaches pain meds are to enable mobility...
Glad you are doing well!!
 
@Mojo333 bwaahahaha I reread my first page today, and I can't remember a quarter of what I very clearly record as fact! Flat ginger ale, ME???? Really??? So, we are all good at nonsense, even if we have DAC Turned Off For All Time :rofsign:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom