MUA Oct 2017 TKR - Hematoma - MUA - Finally past 90!<

@funkymuse - If you have the MUA, plan to take a minimum of a week off work. The MUA does cause some damage to soft tissue and you will be sore afterwards. An MUA done early in recovery can actually set back your recovery a bit, as you will have new injuries.

Beware of exercising too much after an MUA. You will need to keep your knee moving gently, but it won't need intensive exercise.

You stated that you had a hematoma. How did the hematoma present itself? Obviously there was probably swelling, but was it also discolored or cause painful pressure on knee joint when weight bearing? What diagnostic test was use to confirm the hematoma and how was the hematoma removed?
 
Well.. I suppose the itching could be from stress. I did have that at one point in my life and this is really not 'itching' per se but pins and needles and burning and like bugs crawling through the bottom of my feet. It's pretty bizarre feeling. I did analyze some supplements I have been taking and one of the in particular can cause itching and rash and I do have a breakout of sores on my ankle as well. So I stopped taking it and last night I actually got through the night without having to use lidacane or ice packs to numb the bottom of my feet so I could sleep!
So I'm praying I get relief tonight as well.

I did get a surgery time. I check in at 7:15am (PST USA time) tomorrow and at 9:15 I have the surgery. So I'll be home pretty quickly and be checking in if I can. Thanks again for all the well wishes and prayers.

@airscare - two days after the surgery the top of my knee started getting very red and swollen. so think of the circular shape of the top of a coffee cup and that was the size of it. Very red, and to this day, even after the removal, I have residual dark redness here and there and especially where they surgically cut it open along the middle of the original scar to remove it. From the beginning of the Hematoma appearance it became increasingly difficult to stand up because of searing pain and pressure. For a few days, I thought it was just part of the regular TKR swelling process mixed with the gravity of getting up and then by the following Sunday after the TKR, I had to have an ambulance come and get me as I could not even walk to the bathroom or bear weight at all. The carried me out and took me to the hospital as at this point my husband and I thought it was an infection. At the hospital the on call doctor confirmed that it was an infection (so he said), and pumped me with some antibiotics and then gave me a scrip for more and told me to hook up with my OS whom I then saw on Tues. He walked in and said.. 'that's not an infection, that's a hematoma!' He told me they could remove it the next day, or I could go home and put my leg up and wait for it to drain. Since at that stage, so soon after the TKR, another surgery seemed horrific, my husband and I opted to wait and let it resolve itself. Well it didn't and so two weeks after my original TKR I had it removed.
 
Last edited:
I'm adding my 'blessings' for tomorrow! Let us know how you are as soon as you can. Oh yeah, and ask you OS how much bend he was able to get you.
 
Opps.. I edited my post above..but surgery is 9:15 am not 8:15!
 
Just hooked up with a wonderful PT here in my hometown. $96 for 45 min. I WILL bite the bullet on this because I want the muscle work and I interviewed here and she has a great approach! I love it! BUT the only thing is I can't get in until Feb 5th..BUT I'm on the priority cancellation list. So here's hoping!
 
Giving you good thoughts and prayers for your MUA tomorrow. As sistersinhim said, if it was me, I would be curious to know what bend and extension he gets when being under. From reading your thread, I know you are a Godly woman so here you go, my mother's favorite saying: "If God brings you to it, God will bring you through it". I'm glad your MUA wasn't postponed due to your cold. As many have posted, they have had excellent results with this procedure.
 
Well.. I suppose the itching could be from stress. I did have that at one point in my life and this is really not 'itching' per se but pins and needles and burning and like bugs crawling through the bottom of my feet. It's pretty bizarre feeling. I did analyze some supplements I have been taking and one of the in particular can cause itching and rash and I do have a breakout of sores on my ankle as well. So I stopped taking it and last night I actually got through the night without having to use lidacane or ice packs to numb the bottom of my feet so I could sleep!
So I'm praying I get relief tonight as well.

I did get a surgery time. I check in at 7:15am (PST USA time) tomorrow and at 9:15 I have the surgery. So I'll be home pretty quickly and be checking in if I can. Thanks again for all the well wishes and prayers.

@airscare - two days after the surgery the top of my knee started getting very red and swollen. so think of the circular shape of the top of a coffee cup and that was the size of it. Very red, and to this day, even after the removal, I have residual dark redness here and there and especially where they surgically cut it open along the middle of the original scar to remove it. From the beginning of the Hematoma appearance it became increasingly difficult to stand up because of searing pain and pressure. For a few days, I thought it was just part of the regular TKR swelling process mixed with the gravity of getting up and then by the following Sunday after the TKR, I had to have an ambulance come and get me as I could not even walk to the bathroom or bear weight at all. The carried me out and took me to the hospital as at this point my husband and I thought it was an infection. At the hospital the on call doctor confirmed that it was an infection (so he said), and pumped me with some antibiotics and then gave me a scrip for more and told me to hook up with my OS whom I then saw on Tues. He walked in and said.. 'that's not an infection, that's a hematoma!' He told me they could remove it the next day, or I could go home and put my leg up and wait for it to drain. Since at that stage, so soon after the TKR, another surgery seemed horrific, my husband and I opted to wait and let it resolve itself. Well it didn't and so two weeks after my original TKR I had it removed.

Thank you for your explanation.
 
@airscare, you don't have to quote the whole post to reply to it. Just go down to the bottom and start writing, the hit the Post Replay button.
 
My doctor has offered to push my surgery out if I'm not feeling well from the cold and other issues... I'll see how I feel tomorrow morning and then cancel if I need to. sigh.
 
Prayers that you are feeling well enough to go ahead. I know it’s been a difficult decision only to have to put it off. Hugs too!
 
Well last night I suffered tremendously from this cold.. just an awful night and this morning I can't even fathom getting up to take a shower I"m so weak so I'm going to have reschedule. I did even get a text from my Doctor yesterday afternoon telling me that if I felt to reschedule because of the IBS-D, that it would be fine - I hadn't even mentioned the cold to him. I just can't believe this is happening after all this waiting and planning for today - but I am a believer in God and I guess he has other plans for now. Thank you for all your prayers and well wishes - they mean so much to me - so I guess I'll be taking a raincheck on them.
 
prayers and well wishes in the form of a raincheck work just as well and if you're feeling that bad, I'm sure you're doing what you know is best. But darn... I know how it feels to be "ready" for something and have it change. :(
 
I am a firm believer that God allows things to happen for a reason. So, today's cancellation will be okay. God always takes care of His children! And who knows, maybe that ROM will start improving without the MUA. I pray so!

I pray that your cold is just a cold and not the flu. Take care of yourself and get as much rest as you can!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry to hear that you had to postpone the MUA. As others have said, the waiting can be the worst. Feel better soon! I've been battling similar itching issues--weird, huh?--started in the feet; now also appears without notice elsewhere on the body, particularly near joints--thumb joints, wrist, etc. But also on torso, neck, even scalp from time to time. After throwing every natural remedy I know at it, and after suffering a particularly horrible day of itchiness, I finally broke down two nights ago and took a 24-hour allergy medication. I've taken it before bedtime for two nights, and the itching has subsided. Based on this evidence that my body seems to be giving out an allergic response--to what I don't know-- I'm going to rinse off each night in the shower before bed because allergens may be building up on the skin during the day, resulting in overloading the mast cells responsible for taking care of them--washing off is one way to counteract this.

Regarding your "cold," I'm a bit alarmed that you felt you could barely get out of bed this morning. Have you considered treating this as the start of the flu and taking stronger measures, even possibly getting checked out by a doctor? I went through the particular flu that's going around this winter (foolishly, I just toughed it out--learned later that this is NOT the thing to do!), and let me tell you, it was a doozy!!!! Probably the worst flu I have ever had, and lasted a long time, too. It started a week before Christmas, and I am STILL coughing and sniffling. Reports of serious complications such as pneumonia (which often requires hospitalization) and deaths across the US are mounting. Children and seniors are most at risk of these complications. So please consider being proactive. I called my "thing" a cold for the first couple of weeks, and it wasn't.
 
Guess what I did today?
A FULL ROTATION ON MY RECUMBERANT BIKE!!!
Granted I had to slide my hips out to the side of the seat but I always have had to, even in half rotations.
I could only do about 7 before my knee said 'enough!' But wow!
I swear I'm getting more bend. If I have to guesstimate I'd say near 85%.
AND my new PT had a cancellation for Monday so I'm so excited!
Finally someone who will work with my knee and not against my knee!

@Polkadot - I'm tentatively rescheduled for the MUA on the 8th of February so we will see. If I get to 90 soon.. I'm not doing it! Unbeknownst to me this new ROM has just been happening in the last few days so it was kind of a surprise today when I rotated fully on the bike and then the wall slides in the tub were really deeper than ever before. I was kind of shocked when I put my foot on the wall and it just slid down without my assistance.

And I sure do appreciate your experience on the burning feet! I'm glad I mentioned it here. I will definitely try Benedryl if it keeps on.

As far as this being a cold or a flu, I just don't know. I don't have a fever.. just body aches, fatigue and an overall 'I don't feel good' feeling, that comes and goes. When it goes I feel pretty darn good for awhile and THEN it's like a Mac Truck hits me. I don't have any congestion - as I think I've been beating that back with the nettie pot - but I do have sinus pain and pressure. I looked up flu today and once you are past a few days, whatever they could have done for you if caught early enough doesn't work anymore. So I'm not sure about seeing the doctor about this. Even if he diagnosed it as the flu, at this stage (they say), the antibiotics won't work.

I'm kind of pinching myself tonight.. am I dreaming? Is my ROM really increasing or is it just my imagination?
If it's a dream, please don't wake me up!!!!
 
Funkymuse....I will not be surprised one bit if your ROM continues to improve on its own. Take great care not to push at all in any therapy sessions you have and you just may find yourself canceling that MUA.
 
Back
Top Bottom