MUA Oct 2017 TKR - Hematoma - MUA - Finally past 90!<

In my lower moments with the 2nd tkr I remember saying to myself: "I did this voluntarily? Twice?!" But I knew it would be worth it in the end, and it was.

oh boy.. I understand this fully!!!
 
Me, too! In the first few weeks I couldn’t believe I’d invited this trauma onto my body!
 
Well, I just got back from my OS appt and my bend is still 60 sitting and less than that in a heel slide, probably 45. He also wants to do an MUA like you @Robinmhs88 as I knew he would but was also very nice as well and said I could decide what to do.

I have been very minimal in my heel slide work only to warm up my knee in the morning and maybe one or two more times during the day if that and only a couple minutes half turning on the bike and some cooking ADL's. I don't have to clean or grocery shop or anything. My life is on the bed with my leg elevated and iced 85% of the time when I'm not doing the other things I mentioned. 3 days a week I work, sitting and walking about the office with an ice pad on. I had reached 70 at one time in a VERY PAINFUL heel slide pushing into that tight joint with much painful effort and the last time I was at PT, I pushed to the edge of pain in order to get to 60.

He also told me that my previous surgeries on this knee - arthroscopies when I was 12 and 30 and then bone shaving when I was in my 40's most likely contributed to my struggle but I'm not sure about that. I mean if they put in a whole new joint how could anything in the past contribute to my bend now? I may have a tendency to develop scar tissue or adhesions who knows. All I know is that I am stuck and functioning with 60 degrees and less is really hard on my body.

I'm not sure what to do. My husband wants me to go in and do it and get it over with so I can get on with life. The doctor did say he could give me a block and then Dilaudid for the recovery period since I get totally sick on everything else.

I've read countless stories of people feeling so happy for at least a little more bend after the recovery from the MUA and very few who have not done well. I didn't ever want to face a set back but I guess things could be worse.

So any thoughts on all I've written would be appreciated. I had a good cry after the doctor left the room.

Thanks for your support.
 
Boy do I know how you feel. I am scheduled for Tuesday. I don’t know if it’s really what I want but I have not made much progress and my knee is in more pain and now my ankle is hurting because of how I am walking. I feel like I am gonna push myself the next two days but if I don’t see or feel progressive I know what I have to do. I am here for ya if you want to chat :)
 
Thanks @Robinmhs88 - did he say how long you would need to take off work?

Mine said I would be back after a week... and one gal I spoke with said she went back after 3 days. But I will definitely take off at least a week if I go through with it. He also wants to see me in therapy 3 times a week but I think I can only go twice due to my work schedule.

There are so many different stories and he also said everyone is different. He said with some people - there's not a lot of issues and others there is a lot of swelling. Since I'm at a hard stop in the knee, he felt like my pain would be there the most and minimally in my muscles.. but who knows..
 
I would go in Tuesday stay at hospital till Wednesday, start PT on Thursday and go everyday for a week. After the week they would see what I still need. They also want me to use CPM again which I felt was useless and this time I have to pay for it. I asked about work and he said it depends on the person but he would prefer that I take the week off. I told him that may not be possible since I just started in October and he smiled, knowing I will do what I need to do.
 
Several people here have had success after MUA and some were found to have had adhesions or some other medical issue that prevented them from gaining ROM and, therefore, needed the MUA. Did your surgeon say why the first MUA didn't succeed?

I understand completely how hard it is to make a decision with conflicting information and with everyone being different. you are a real trooper going into work 3 days a week under those conditions.

Maybe this time things will go differently and you'll gain the ROM you need for living your life to it's fullest. I do worry for you that the physiotherapy 3 times a week might set you back, but then again, you have more information to go on and can decide what you will allow them to do or have you do. You've had a tough time of it and I wish you all the best going forward.:console2:
 
Last edited:
I'm so sorry funkymuse, but you definitely seem to have hit a wall that won't come down. I would say go for it. I had my knee replaced Nov 14 and doing quite well but I wouldn't hesitate if my surgeon wanted to do that. You need to pit this behind you and it may just do the job that you can't do through PT
 
:console2: sending hugs to you @funkymuse! I've read where some folks who have had multiple surgeries or injuries throughout their life had a harder time with TKR but I'm not an expert so can't weigh in at all. I'm curious as to why the first MUA was not successful and how the surgeon thinks this one would be different. A hard stop at 60 at this point in recovery may point to the need to try another MUA. I know, from Bonesmart many who have had a successful outcome - even some who had a 2nd MUA (I can't remember who - if I do, I'll follow up). We'll all be here sending good vibes and rooting for you, whatever you decide to do.
 
Sending you hugs and good luck!!! I feel like you, Robin and I are all in the same boat! I dread going to my OS on the 22nd, I'm scared he is going to tell me I need a MUA. Good luck and keep us all posted!!!
 
Um... about going back to work. A MUA is no guarantee of a "quicker" turnaround. A week is optimistic, though possible. Three days doesn't sound realistic... but of course someone, somewhere in the world, has probably done it. :scratch:
 
Yeah, I would try for a week off work. No sense undoing whatever progress you get from the MUA by returning to work too soon.
 
@funkymuse Oh, my, gosh. If it were me, I'd start with prayer. We are right there emotionally with each other when we read about the struggles and the tears of our Bonesmart friends. I feel so close to people I will probably never meet. I have had some life events in the last few years so when I don't know what else to do, I pray. I'm sure your husband is having a hard time watching you and not being able to "fix it". I will pray for him and your doctor.
 
@funkymuse - If you have the MUA, plan to take a minimum of a week off work. The MUA does cause some damage to soft tissue and you will be sore afterwards. An MUA done early in recovery can actually set back your recovery a bit, as you will have new injuries.

Beware of exercising too much after an MUA. You will need to keep your knee moving gently, but it won't need intensive exercise.
 
Hello @liam2015:
Thank you for the encouragement. No my OS didn't say why the 1st MUA didn't work - he made some comment - under his breath at my 6 week check that maybe it was because they didn't get me to PT right away after the MUA and the hematoma removal - but he also told me after that surgery that I couldn't do much right away because of the hematoma removal! But I also read that doing an MUA that early in the game is really bad for the healing tissues and so I'm thinking that possibly my tissue healing went into overdrive and maybe started to get sticky and form adhesions in response. Not sure. @Josephine - what do you think? As far as PT, I'm not sure I even want to go to PT. I'm scheduled for 2 times a week and I think that will be plenty with them massaging and gently helping me - they know I don't want aggressive pushing - so once again we will see!

@banjaboy - thank you so much for checking in and your kind support. I'm so glad you are progressing and doing well!! Also @kmak81230 - thank you for the good words and good vibes coming my way.

@SusieShoes - I have definitely told my boss that it could be up to two weeks before I'm back - so they are prepared and want me to be better - so thank goodness!

@kneeper - yes that's one of my fears - undoing what the MUA has done!!!! I want to progress after having to face one of my fears - the dreaded MUA - so I plan to do what it takes to make that progress which might mean the full two weeks off.

Thank you @jakeleg - I think God might be tired of hearing me ask for help with my knee!!! It seems he's been very quiet these days so I just have to keep knowing that I can't do anything impulsive and to keep working on that intuitive connection so I can hear the clear guidance. I hope you are doing well.. it seems you've been quiet lately... ???

@Celle - thank you very much - just what I needed to hear.

What I'd love to know from anyone with experience in MUA recovery and success is what is the 'constant' movement that I've read that seems to be necessary with the possible use of the CPA machine and then going to PT 3-4 times a week and so on and so forth? As I stated above, I'm really afraid of regressing after this MUA and not having success. I have received shared experience stories from @maryo52 and others in this regard and have taken them to heart. I've also been reading through the MUA stories on the site and I'm so grateful for them. As I understand it, I will have more pain if indeed there are adhesions. My doctor said that most of my pain would be in the knee capsule area - so would that be the case if there are adhesions? Is that the only place they form or will I also experience pain in the Quad muscles? I'm asking about quads because man my quads are super tight and I can't imagine that pushing my leg back wouldn't cause them to be super sore. I hope they don't tear?

Anything anyone can share will help qualm my fears I'm sure. Thanks so much to everyone for your input and support on my thread. It has been invaluable in my 'interesting' journey. I guess I'm getting these challenges for a reason and I'm very grateful they are not as challenging as others have had to face. God bless all.
 
Also.. can an administrator please change my thread title to "Oct TKR with Hematoma issue - now facing MUA"

thank you.
 
No my OS didn't say why the 1st MUA didn't work
I'd guess that it was because you never had adhesions in the first place and your low ROM was largely due to swelling and pain!
I'm thinking that possibly my tissue healing went into overdrive and maybe started to get sticky and form adhesions in response.
Don't 'think' what could have happened! There's no value in it because that's not so.
As far as PT, I'm not sure I even want to go to PT
Good choice!

He also told me that my previous surgeries on this knee - arthroscopies when I was 12 and 30 and then bone shaving when I was in my 40's most likely contributed to my struggle but I'm not sure about that. I mean if they put in a whole new joint how could anything in the past contribute to my bend now?
Because your knee is more than just the joint, darling! It's a whole collection of muscles, ligaments and other soft tissues. Having had a history of many surgeries can result in all those tissues losing elasticity and functionality which is quite probably what your problem is now. So for that reason, I would suggest that an MUA will produce little or no improvements. Sorry, but I think you need to know the truth!
did he say how long you would need to take off work?
Oh gosh, that depends upon so many things and most of them will be beyond his ability to fix.
he also said everyone is different
Exactly right!
 
So very sorry you are struggling like this, @funkymuse. Lots of good suggestions have already been posted so I'm just sending you hugs and encouragement! :console2:
 
Thank you @Josephine ... now I'm really confused!!! LOL!
Swelling and pain would make total sense as to why the MUA didn't work - BESIDES I don't think I really needed it which makes me mad that he did it but I did sign a paper that said he could do what he felt was necessary before I went it - but he made no verbal mention of it until after it was done so I was not expecting him to do it.

As far as having it done or not having it done, I have been stalling and we haven't set a date. So I'm about 75/25 on the fence.. 75% doing it and 25% not... I'm resting and elevating and praying for some movement. This morning it's stiffer than ever so there won't be much of anything today except a warm bath and some ADL's and then back to the bed and up it will go.
 
Back
Top Bottom