Guest viewing is limited

THR NYLiz hip #2 done

Status
Not open for further replies.
Liz -

You and I had our 2nd THR about the same time. I have some back issues, and also had leg pain in recovery issues, that sound quite familiar to yours, so I'll throw this out to you for what it's worth.

I could not figure out why my legs and back would start hurting in the evening, usually after dinner. I was fortunate to have an excellent physical therapist so I asked her about it (a couple of nights the pain was so bad that I could not sleep or even hold still in bed).

The PT (who has 30+ year experience) asked me if I was sitting on furniture that was "low, soft, & deep cushioned" YES - I would usually sit on our sofa after dinner and watch television - that's when the pain would get worse. I never put the connection together, but the PT immediately suspected my back, and that the "low soft & deep" sitting position is BAD for the back. So I started sitting in a straight back chair and it really helped me a LOT. Correlation, or coincidence ? Who knows - but it worked for me, and the PT has encountered this before. Just something for you to consider.

Good luck to you.

Kevin
 
Hi Liz

You've been on quite a journey again! I'm just catching up with your progress and am happy to hear that you're now doing well after No 2. I can't believe you went on a business trip last week - you're a strong woman!

Take care,
Justine x
 
Hi Julie - as for the leg muscles and soreness, that's the one thing I think my surgeon underplayed when he explained the recovery process. If it weren't for my PT telling me after my first surgery that it could take 6 months to a year for the muscles to recover, I'd be really worried right now about the muscles ever being back to normal. I know I just need to be patient and keep doing the PT and exercises at home.

Hi Kevin - Your PT gave you some great advice. I don't think it was a coincidence that when you switched to sitting on a straight backed chair, your back pain improved. I've noticed that sitting on any chair too soft for more than an hour causes my back to start bothering me and I'm much better off in a straight back chair or in an 'office' type chair that has support.

Justine - not so sure if I'm a strong woman vs. someone who is just a little crazy pushing the limits - probably a combination of both. One of the Senior VP's where I work is getting a hip replacement done in June. He said he's going to take 12 weeks off, but told me I've already ready made him look bad by coming back to work after 6 weeks both times. Honestly, if it weren't for the Family Medical Leave Act here in the US that only allows 12 weeks during a rolling calendar year to protect your job/position, I probably would have taken 8 weeks each time.

Liz
 
Hello Liz,

You sound fabulous congratulations! You are very right about them unplaying the recovery time frame, luckily my home therapist and set me up saying 4-6 months to feel really normally and boy was she right!

Wow on the business trip that was brave!

Wishing all the best and lots of love!

xxooxx
 
Hi Liz

Just stopping by to say hello and to see how you are doing a month further down the track .... Think of you often xoxoxoxoxxo
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom