Guest viewing is limited

THR NYLiz hip #2 done

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a new mantra for all going back to work....

Lots of breaks, standing, moving, stretching, exercising....

Good luck to everyone at work and about to go to work xx
 
vis a vis not leaving the house when there's snow - shame the home office set-up wouldn't work in nursing! :th_heehee:
 
Hi liz. Just checking on you to see how things are going. Give us an update when you can ok? Hope you are doing well and moving right along in recovery. Best wishes heading your way!
 
Hi Janet - thanks for checking up on me. Had a rough week last week with lots of pain in my leg when sitting. The only way to relieve the pain was to stand up and walk around. My primary doctor is convinced it is actually coming from my back and wants me to see a neurologist, my PT thinks it's the muscles, and I'll get my surgeons opinion tomorrow. I think it's the muscles based on the PT performing a deep muscle massage on my outer thigh and under my thigh on Monday and then afterwards and yesterday I was able able to actually sit with minimal pain in the leg. There was some pain again today, but nothing like it was last week (I'll get another massage by the PT on Saturday).

I also started with the dreaded lower back pain, but I know it's due to the isthmic spondylolisthesis I have and once I can go back to performing all my core exercises and restrengthen the muscles, it'll improve - as my PT reminds me, one step at a time.

Otherwise I'm doing ok - I've been working a few hours a day from home and next week I'll actually be going into the office - which I'm looking forward to (I'm getting tired of being cooped up in my house).

Liz
 
Hope things begin to turn around Liz. You and JulieP are sounding a lot alike, unfortunately, even though different circumstances. Hang in there. :prayer1:
 
Hi Liz,

Sorry you are having a tough time with the pain and I hope it heals quickly!

I will be thinking of you as you return back to the office, I'm sure it will be good to get out and about and catch to a normal routine too! Stay warm I heard its wickedly cold up there!!

Lots of love,

Sarah

xxooxx
 
Hi Liz

So sorry you are having pain sitting, must admit it is a tough gig, sitting for long periods. I have resorted to 4 inches of memory foam cushion on my new ergonomic chair and that seemed to do the trick for my hip, thigh and back pain.. Not sure if you can get something like that in the US?

I will be thinking of you going back into the office, I have actually enjoyed the mental and social stimulation. I think it helps us to look outside of ourselves as well.. lol xx
 
Hope things begin to turn around Liz. You and JulieP are sounding a lot alike, unfortunately, even though different circumstances. Hang in there. :prayer1:

Yes Janet we do sound somewhat alike don't we?? Hope things work out better for you soon Liz. Here we both thought the 2nd would be better too. Those muscle aches and low back pains sure aren't fun are they? Let us know what you find out. :friends:
 
Hi Everyone - thank you all for your thoughts and concerns. :grouphug2:

Saw my surgeon today for my 6 week (really more like 5 wks and 2 days, but who's counting) follow up, in addition to my 6 month follow up for my left hip. He said the pain in my leg when sitting is from the muscles and is confident with PT and those deep muscle massages, it will get better. He also was not surprised about my back, and stressed how important it is for me to re-strengthen the core muscles and that I will always need to keep up with the core exercises. He also gave me a prescription for Mobic, which I took starting 6 weeks after my last surgery for about 2 months, so that should help with the pain. I did mention to him that my primary doctor wants me to see a neurologist. His opinion is that I should stay with the conservative approach of PT, focusing on core strengthening, in conjunction with the anti-inflammatory, and if in a month or so it doesn't start to improve, then see the neurologist if I want to. I'm going to follow his advice for now and if the back or leg pain does not improve or worsens, then I can always go to the neurologist.

BTW - The x-rays showed everything as perfect. It wasn't until I saw the x-ray with both hips that it really sunk in I actually have 2 artificial hips and how amazing it is that they can and do support your entire upper body. It was one of those :wow2: moments!

Liz
 
Hey Liz,

That's great news congratulations! I bet seeing the X-rays was blast, I felt the same way when seeing my new hip only one so to see two must be completely groovy! I'm glad he was optimistic with doing PT first that would be fabulous if you could iron our everything that way!

You are the bionic woman with your new shiny hips!!

xxooxx
 
BTW - The x-rays showed everything as perfect. It wasn't until I saw the x-ray with both hips that it really sunk in I actually have 2 artificial hips and how amazing it is that they can and do support your entire upper body. It was one of those :wow2: moments!

Liz


It sure is one of those :wow2: moments!!
 
I'm glad you got some input from your surgeon. His plan sounds like a good way to proceed for now. Since specialists are often booked a month or more in advance, maybe go ahead and schedule the appointment with the neurologist/neurosurgeon and then cancel it if you find that you are feeling better in a month. That way you won't have to wait additional time in the event the conservative plan doesn't work. Just a suggestion.

And, it IS cold here in NY, but next week is going to be much warmer! It might even get above freezing!!!

Dorothy
 
Liz

You seem to be progressing really well. Remember you are less tha 6 weeks since having the surgery and only 6 months from hip No 1. A bit of a double whamy on the bodies reserves.

I hope the exercises help with the pain but don't overdo things and make matters worse.

I know what you and Julie mean when seeing the xray of the two new hips for the first time. For me it wasn't WOW but more of an OMG moment realising I was supported on those two thin bits of metal!
 
I think your surgeon's approach is a good one! Hang in there.....I'm betting things will improve.
 
Hi Liz,

How are you doing? How is it being back in the office full time?

Hope you are well....

xxooxxx
 
Hi Sara,

Sorry for the delay in responding. It's been crazy since I returned back to the office. The first week back I ended up going on a 2.5 day business trip, traveling by car (my boss drove). I do not recommend doing this 6 weeks post op. I anticipated being in some pain, so I was prepared and brought some Oxycodone with me and it helped, but what I didn't anticipate was the complete exhaustion I felt by the time I got home. It took me 5 days to get over the always exhausted feeling. Since then, I have 'behaved' and am listening to my body when it tells me it is time to stop and not push any more limits of endurance.

I'm still going to PT 3 times a week and gave up the cane last week. I may be walking slowly, but I'm not limping. When walking, the muscles on the side of both hips feel tight, but I can deal with that and I know will improve with time. What I'm having an issue with are the quad muscles in my right leg, which tighten up and tend to cause the most pain when sitting and then when I get up and straighten my leg. My PT is working with me to stretch the muscles and is also doing deep massages. It is helping, maybe not as quickly as I want, so I just need to be patient.

Otherwise, I'm doing well and I'm really looking forward to the spring for two reasons:

  1. I get to go outside and garden again - something I could not do last year
  2. I'm going to go back to the Bronx Zoo, the place I was when the horrible groin pain started back in Sept 2010 and began my journey to where I am now. I haven't been back there since and my nieces made me promise that once I was all 'fixed up', we would go back again, and that is a promise I'm going to be very, very happy to keep.
Liz
 
Good morning Liz, so glad to hear things are progressing for you. I understand about the muscle aches still. It's amazing how long the muscles take to start feeling normal. For me it's mainly the IT bands still and sciatic/hamstring on the one side.

Work, work, work !! Isn't it fun? I'm sure you are so looking forward to getting back outside in the Spring and for taking your nieces to the zoo again. They will be so happy and so will you.
 
Hi Liz

Just checking in to see how you were doing, sorry to hear you are having trouble with your back, It seems to be a common thing amongst us hippies as I have now seen it mentioned on several occasions.
I had back problems up till about seven months after the op and it has eased up a bit now although I am still stiff when getting up out my computer seat there has been a bit of improvement.
Here's hoping that yours turns a corner soon and there is a sign of improvement. :thumb:

Take Care
Billy.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom