Guest viewing is limited

Reverse Shoulder Replacement Numbness and tingling in my hand after surgery.

Stitches are out, X-rays taken on Wed. All seems to be on track 9 days post surgery.
I am taking short walks, 3-4 times a day, to promote healing, get outside, change up the routine, etc. Yesterday, I had quite a bit of stiffness & tightness in my upper back, above the shoulder blade, below the neck area. This is the side of the reverse shoulder replacement.
I had my son give me a trigger point massage to the upper back, above the shoulder blade area to work out the stiffness caused by the shoulder strap of the sling. Later, I wondered if that may have caused more damage than good. I worry (does worrying ever stop?) that the massage may have disturbed the screws or hardware.
I have a message in to my doctor to find out if the massage may have disturbed the screws or hardware.
My question to those of you with reverse shoulder replacement. Did you have a massage on your affected shoulder, backside? If so, was it beneficial? Did I cause more harm than good by having a trigger point massage on the right muscles in my upper back (above the shoulder blade, more to the outside of my back)?
 
When I had a massage I know it made me more sore, so I went to the heating pad and made sure it was just in that area, I used moist heat. Best of luck.
 
Mikem132, sounds like we both have swollen biceps! Your doctor told you the same thing my doctor told me that the bicep swelling is seen often. Regarding the cold therapy, the assistant to my doctor told me that some patients wear the sling over the cooling pad. I am not brave enough to try that. I am anxious to try out the smaller cooling pad that is designed for shoulders, obtained with a dr prescription.
Stitches out tomorrow, can’t wait!
I got my staples out yesterday. Was told everything is normal. I did get the lowdown on exactly what was done. I had a stemless implant. I also apparently had something wrong with my biceps tendon and it was cut and re-attached. Not suprising some tendon was bad as for years I have had the occasional, out of the blue (usually) extremely painful impingement in shoulder. The tendon gets stuck between what's left of the humerus head and glenoid. The pain is eye watering. Hopefully that's in the past now.
I have minimal to no shoulder pain. Now and then a twinge, but certainly no worse (but different) from before surgery. Sleeping is a challenge and work in progress. I'm back in bed with a wedge, couple pillows--on on sling side to hold elbow up, one under knees (suggested by the PA yesterday I saw). I can get maybe 5 hours, then something hurts. Last night was severe headache. I'm moving pain around so still working on it.
One thing that really bothers me is my back. I suspect wearing the sling is changing my posture or something, as after standing a half hour or so my lower back hurts. Sitting down fixes it instantly. I have been condemned to wear the sling full time another month (been two weeks already), but the PA removed the bolster so it's now just a sling. One day at a time.
 
Back
Top Bottom