Number 5 has failed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mo, your story is heartbreaking and I so hope and pray that things will improve very soon for you. With love and prayers
Xxxx
 
Mo, I'm so sorry I never got back to you sooner than this but I've been working.

Your story certainly is unusual and must be extremely depressing for you. But it's not totally unknown to me because, in my younger years, we had quite a few patients who, for various reasons not totally dissimilar from yours, ended up having to have a Girdlestone's because there was no other option left.

Nowadays, we get so used to there being 'someone somewhere who can fix this by some means or other' and it must be devastating for you to have these chaps give up on you but this is truthfully an unsolvable situation.

But have no fear. A Girdlestone's may not be quite as 'normal' as a hip replacement but it's not the end of the world either. From my past experience, patients adapted quite well to it as at least it was pain free. What they did have was an abnormal gait and the need to use anything from one cane to two crutches. But mostly it was one cane or one crutch. Sometimes they would swap about, depending upon how they felt that day and what they were expecting to do. They certainly didn't seem to be unable to get out and about, to shop and look after their homes and themselves. There are any number of people who have to make great adjustments to the way they live their lives, be it because of congenital deformities, results of trauma or even amputations. It takes a lot of lateral thinking to do it but it's doable and better than the pain and anguish you are in right now. And there is always the possibility that, at some time in the future, your infection or whatever it is, will be resolved and you may even be able to have another shot at a revision. It's not out of the question but probably not in the near future. You're young yet and medical science is always developing, so keep that in the back of your mind, won't you?

For now, this will give you relief from pain and some ability to be mobile. You can develop on that as time goes on.
Don't be scared. It's just the option that is best for you right now.
 
Mo said, "The OS and ID MDs are concerned about the infection spreading, this is why the excision date was moved up."

Hi Mo,
I read your opening post the other day and have been thinking about your situation ever since... Is the ID MD that you mention above an Infectious Disease doc? I wondered if you had an Infectious disease specialist that was helping to figure out what keeps causing the infection. Can any of this be related to an allergic reaction to the implant materials?

I will be joining the ranks of the folks here that will send up healing thoughts for you on Tuesday. We are holding your hand here in cyber space while you are feeling scared.

Take care,
Cardie
 
Mo....I hope you can take some comfort in the posts that your fellow BoneSmarties are providing for you. This is a very caring family of folks who will be here for you and support you in whatever way we can.

I'm glad Jo was able to post. She helped me (a non-medical person) understand this procedure better. As I'm sure you know, there really isn't much information out on the web other than descriptions of the procedure....which can seem a bit grim.

Jo put things in perspective, though. Given the risk of the infection continuing to spread and the pain you are in, it does make sense to have the Girdlestone done. You have obviously done everything you can to find the best solution for you and I admire your tenacity in getting that done.

Please do stay with us. We care about you.
 
Mo,

Just thought I'd stop in to see how your doing this evening. Hoping that you can relax a bit this weekend. I think after five surgeries on your hip, your probably feeling a bit numb and not really knowing what to think at this point. I don't blame you at all for not wanting to think about other possible options out there maybe in the future.

Try to get some rest, and do something to get your mind off of the surgery if possible. I know that's pretty hard to do when your feeling the pain, and seeing your hip not looking so good but hopefully you can enjoy watching a good movie and relax a bit.

Please post if you feel you need to talk, or just to vent... I'm sure a lot of the members on Bonesmart will be here for you all weekend and Monday.
 
Something I forgot to add .... reminded by reading a history of orthopaedics I was just sent. In the days before hip replacements were invented, a Girdlestone was the treatment of choice for arthritis of the hip. It was what it was first created for. Girdlestone became an iconic figure in the field of orthopaedics as a result.
 
Mo.....I second special lady's post. I've been thinking of you this weekend as well and hoping that you are relaxing and chilling. We're here for you whenever you want to chat.
 
Hi Mo and welcome to this wonderful forum! Boy, I thought I had problems! Well I do, and I haven't been posting as much lately because these problems get to me sometimes as well.

I am not going to hyjack your thread though with my issues, but as you, I feel this whole situation stinks and certainly is not what we signed up for!

That being said, we are here for you so please know that we do care and feel helpless to do anything physical for you, but we will do anything and everything possible to help you get throught this emothionally.

I'm about at the end of my rope here with things going from bad to worse, so I'm probably going to be heading to my second revision sooner rather than later. Finding the courage to do it is something the folks here on BoneSmart have been wonderful at helping me come to that conclusion.

Please come here as often as you'd like to laugh, cry, what ever you feel like sharing, just do it! We will hold your hand and hug you tight in cyber space, and we will be here with you to help you get through the next ordeal.

You'll do just fine Mo! Look at all that you have gone through already! You are one strong lady and I so admire you. Hang in there Mo and please keep us posted! I wish you all good things for your next surgery and will be praying for the best possible outcome.:prayer1::prayer1::prayer1:
 
Hi Mo, so sorry about what you have to endure and going through. I also hope that the next surgery will go well for you. We are all thinking of you.
 
Wow--this really is a great place to come to for support and guidance. Who knew there were so many amazing people out there who had been through so much?! I only wish I had found it before--it never occurred to me to look. So thank you everyone--thank you so much. It's given me a boost I didn't expect.

I am trying to relax this weekend---the kids and I have designated it as our junk food weekend and we have been very, very successful at it....

I'm not sure what's ahead, and that scares me, but it is what it is. We all find a way of coping with the hand that life deals with us eventually, don't we?. And as has been said earlier, a lot people out there have been dealt much worse hands than this. (But I'm pretty sure I'm still a whiny, grumpy, and thoroughly unpleasant person for my poor family to be around.... :)

Josephine, thank you for the information. I think a big part of the freak out factor is this procedure being so unfamiliar to me. Getting revisions can be pretty tough, but at least I knew what to expect, as so many of you do. I have had a difficult time finding info on girdlestone surgery that wasn't scary (or veterinary), so hearing anything from someone who knows something about it helps quite a bit.

I'll let you know how it goes on Tuesday (no matter where you are in the world, you might just hear my shouts of rude curses and complaints). I look forward to this being over with and getting to know more of you all and hear your stories.

Best to all,
Mo
 
Wishing you the very best outcome for your procedure on Tuesday!! Love the "junk food" weekend - I use to do that with my boys when they were young - usually with a movie marathon as well :th_heehee: It's good to hear you're being able to relax and have some quality time with your family.
 
It did happen a lot faster than any of us thought it would, that is true. It was moved up when the entire scar turned the dark red/blue color and swelled up to the point of pretty moderate pain. It felt like the thigh would split.... I can take a lot of pain, but this was ridiculous. The OS and ID MDs are concerned about the infection spreading, this is why the excision date was moved up. I've been told that I can still speak with more surgeons about possible options once it's out, that there's still a window of opportunity.
Regarding exhausting all options...I'm not sure if I feel I could ever completely exhaust the search. I have seen many, many OS's who, after looking at my X-rays, told me to get used to the idea of being a "48 yr old woman with no joint". They go from arrogant to cold so fast. I don't know if there's an OS out there who can help me, there may be. I am open to any qualified OS outside of CA, I've been offline for a day or two because things changed here very fast. All I know is that I've seen MDs from what I believe are some of the best medical institutions around. And I have consulted with MDs from US, Canada, Sweden, Germany, UK. All of whom told me there was hope until they saw my x-rays. It was then that I always heard the same response: "you have no bone left, get used the the fact that you will live out your life with no hip joint"
The 'triflange' cup is an option that may give me a few more years. However, MDs have made it clear that they won't consider it until the infection is under control, which is fair enough I guess. So far only one has offered to meet with me to discuss if he will consider it.

I am open to looking at and listening to a lot. But it's been a long, long road and I'm so tired. When I found this site, I was just looking for someone who had been through something similar. I'm not trying to scare anyone, or convince anyone of anything. I know that my situation is rare and that it's very uncommon for new hip replacement patients to have this type of experience. But it is my experience and it's scaring the **** out of me. I had just wondered whether anyone had gone through anything similar. I would love to hear advice and referrals, but I'm still so damn tired. I don't know how far I should go.

I live in NY, about an hour from NYC. There are 2 hospitals that are well known for joint repacements.
Hospital for Special Surgery and Hospital for Joint Disease.. These hospitals work on professional athletes and come highly recommended.
Here's a list of the best hospitals.
https://health.usnews.com/best-hospitals/area/new-york-ny

I contacted the Hospital for Joint Disease and Hospital for Special Surgery, prior to my hip replacement.
They were very nice and referred me to an excellent OS on Long Island. They may be able to help you with an OS in your area.
 
I have just read everything on this message Mo, and I am Amazed at how well you are handleing things. You say you are whiny, grumpy etc, yet your kids still want to be with you, you have found a husband who cares for you and has stuck by you for much of these problems. that says aloth about your general nature. Tuesday will be a great day because some of these fears will finally be put to rest! May you have a great pain free (relatively speaking at any rate) recovery!
 
Mo....Your courage is beyond admirable ..and I feel like through it all, and preparing for this next surgery you've even been able to keep a sense of humor. Your twins and your husband are so lucky to have you as an mom & wife.

Do you know how long your hospital stay will be? I'm truly once the surgery is done that you have much less pain.
 
Last line was supposed to say:
I'm truly hoping once the surgery is done you will have much less pain.

Using my smart phone isn't always smart for me to use to post...
 
Mo, you are one of the family now - the BoneSmart family that is. All the best on Tuesday. We will be here waiting for your update when you are ready. Take care!
 
Wishing you all the best tomorrow Mo! We will be holding your hand in cyber space to help you get thru it. But, you will, as you have proven in the past. You are a remarkable lady and your family is so blessed to have you!:prayer1::prayer1::prayer1:
 
Mo, I'm so glad you found this site. Given everything you've gone through, there's no way anyone could call you whiny and grumpy. Simple fact is, you've been dealt a rotten hand and what you've already done with it is quite amazing.

The people on this forum are wonderful; I got so much help from them through my own quite-minor (compared with your) complications after THR and then an infection. I know you will, too.

My thoughts are with you as you undergo surgery tomorrow, and I look forward to hearing about it from you.

:grouphug2:
Joan
 
Oh Mo

I am so sorry to read of your difficulties.

It really puts into perspective when some of us feel we are having a tough time, it is nothing compared to people like you.

Sorry I cant offer any solutions but you have my sincere good wishes and hopes that you find a solution.
 
Hi Mo, thinking of you and wishing you all the best for tomorrow, and that this will be the start of better times ahead for you

Tan x
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom