THR Now the proud owner of a brand new hip

Has anyone else experienced that on going back to work?
Yes, it's the old Energy Drain and you just can't fight it. You will need to ease into full time work. It's good that you can work from home. But the concentration issue hits everyone. Rest as much as you can and try not to have other plans after work for now.

So sorry about your furry friend. I had major issues with my cats post both THRs. We do what we need to do I guess. Just be kind to yourself as well.
 
Thank you, @Mojo333 and @Layla - your kind words are always so calming.

I’ve been taking it easy over the weekend, to recover from being in the ODIC last week! I am a bit worried tonight, though. I’ve had really sudden and excruciating pain in my back/hip area on my non-operated side, around the area of the Sacro-Illeac joint. It was so bad that for a good half hour or so I couldn’t sit down or put any weight on my supposedly good leg! I must admit I was standing there in tears, it hurt so much! Eventually, it subsided to the point where I could limp slowly and then gradually lower myself onto a seat and later tonight I’ve managed to get upstairs to bed but even now after a few hours it’s still pretty painful.

I’m wondering if this is just the result of my ‘good’ side being under extra pressure while my other side is recovering... I guess that would make some sense.

What worries me, though, is that I experienced the exact same thing on the other side a few years ago and looking back I’m pretty certain it was the start of the OA in my right hip giving me trouble. At the time my GP fobbed me off with “take painkillers and wait for it to go” but in reality, although the acute pain eventually subsided, that side was never pain-free again and I soon started getting the groin and hip pain that was eventually (several years later) diagnosed as OA in my hip. I’m a bit scared this could be the left hip flaring up now! I know that I do have ‘mild’ OA in the left hip but my surgeon said that looking at the last MRI scan, he wouldn’t be immediately concerned about it. (He did also say, though, that an MRI is only a “snapshot in time” and the last scan was taken back in Jan/Feb this year)

So... I’m not quite sure what to do. I’m not confident my GP would take me seriously, based on the way they usually are. I could probably refer myself back to see my surgeon (privately via health insurance - I think the consultation and potentially scan may be covered) but as he’s only just said he’s not immediately concerned about that hip, I’d feel like a bit of a nuisance... not to mention embarrassed if it turned out not to be related to my hip!

I guess I’ll see how painful it is over the next day or so.

Sorry to whinge again! It’s good to be able to offload these things here :)
 
@Jaycey - thank you. I’m trying to pace myself and make sure I get enough rest when I’m not working. It’s all too easy to start thinking life can get back to its old pace, but I’m rapidly realising that that’s going to take a while!
 
Hi @1hipwonder
Sorry you're in pain. Hopefully if you take it easy, resting when you can, it will ease up.
Consider using some ice and a pain reliever....
I'm inclined to think the way you are. That the pain may be due to your left leg taking on
more of a load as you favor the surgical leg. If it continues I'd check in with the office of your OS.
Or tag Josephine and get her thoughts.

I'm in the same situation as you with the other hip. Many have walked this road. There are very subtle arthritic changes in my unoperated hip. A second replacement could happen in months, years or never. Who knows? The same for you as it's difficult to predict. But being where we are now, knowing the drill, realizing recovery moves quickly, I'm not as fearful should I need my other hip done. Nor would I live in pain for 20 months, limping around as I did with this one. We have to take each day as it comes because we have no other choice. This surgery is an option we're lucky to have. Fifty years ago they didn't have this option and possibly ended up in a wheelchair at way too young of an age. So we're blessed! Plus....we no longer have that horrid pain! If it comes down to needing the other replaced, we can do it!
Prayers that you have a restful, relaxing, peaceful week.
Sending a hug.....waaay across the ocean.
 
Thanks @Layla. Wise words. I’m still having some pain with the non-operated hip and I’m still hoping it’s just grumbling because it’s had to do so much extra to support the other hip (I know I would :snork:) but I’ve decided to get it checked out for my own peace of mind. I’ve managed to get referred back to the surgeon, who’s on holiday at the moment (how inconsiderate of him, taking hols! :loll:) so I should be able to see him as soon as he’s back.

Meanwhile, I’m delighted with my new hip. I’m now walking without any crutches (although I’m still taking one crutch with me in the car in case I need to walk any distance) and doing pretty good. I still have to concentrate so I don’t limp but that’s getting easier. It’s still a little painful but nothing unbearable. Pretty good for 8 weeks and 2 days!

My greatest sense of achievement came yesterday, when I cast off my trusty slip-on Skechers and wore lace-up trainers for the first time in 8 weeks - I can finally bend to tie my shoelaces. I was like a proud toddler :loll:

I still find work quite overwhelming but I’m trying to pace myself and rest up when I’m not working. It is good to start getting back to normality.

@Layla - you’re so right that we are lucky. Thinking back to when I was a child, I remember a lot of people who were quite literally crippled with arthritis. They seemed old to me, but thinking about it some of them were probably not much older than the age I am now. I also remember as a slightly older child, hearing of elderly relatives having hip replacements, (spoken of in hushed tones!) and they seemed to be confined to hospital or to bed for weeks and then never seemed to be fully mobile again afterwards. It makes you realise how medical science has moved on and how fortunate we are today!
 
Never hurts to check anything out. It's worth the peace of mind.
Wow....can't believe it's 8 weeks for you already. I remember your pre op well.
Time does fly in recovery, strange, isn't it? For all the lying around one does you'd think
it would drag on.

You sound great! Taking it slow and easy. I hope your recovery continues to run smoothly.
I'm sure it will.
Sending a hug with best wishes for a great week! @1hipwonder
 
So proud your recovery is going well.
Sorry you have that other hip bothering you...you sound like you have already decided you are going fully bionic!
I too am awful grateful for modern medicine and the quality of life it has improved for me.
Hope you have great week:tada:
 
Thanks for your kind words, @Mojo333, @Layla and @lwater69!

I’ve been walking well until this evening but now it’s suddenly rather painful again and I’m wondering if I was a little bit too eager to cast off that last crutch. Perhaps I should go back to using a crutch for a few more days. Have other people found this?

And there I was thinking I was doing so well! :thud:
 
Can you think of something you have been doing lately beside no aids.
Up too much or a motion you just started ...new things caused new aches sometimes for me.
 
Hi @1hipwonder
So sorry you're hurting. I'm sure it's worrisome but I'll bet it will pass.

Possibly you overdid? You little stinker.....you're trying to sneak into the ODIC, aren't you?
They don't want you! :kickedout:

Where are you hurting? Have you tried icing? It may be due to different movement or some straining
you don't recall engaging in?

Try some pain meds, ice and rest in addition to your walking aid to take off added pressure for now. You can always tag Jo for insight too.....
Wishing you comfort and restful relaxation this evening. Hopefully you'll feel better in the morning.
Stay in touch.
 
@Mojo333 and @Layla - When I stop and think about it, the past two or maybe three days I’ve been a lot more active than in the weeks before. I’ve been in and out of the car a few times, and up and down stairs several times too. I’ve also been carrying a bag again, which of course I haven’t really needed to do for the last few weeks. Also, today was the first day I’ve worn ‘proper’ shoes with a firm sole rather than Skechers or Converse so maybe that’s made me walk a bit differently. I guess it could be a combination of any of those things. Note to self: be sensible from now on!

@Layla - you’re right - I admit it. I’ve been trying to get into that ODIC! :snork:
 
Sounds like all of that activity most likely contributed @1hipwonder
I'll bet you're back to your old "new" self in a day or two with some ice
and extra rest.
You sneaker....I knew it....trying to get into that club :heehee:
 
How are you doing @1hipwonder
Did all eventually settle down after a few days rest? Sure hope so...
Warm wishes for a great week!
 
Hope you are doing well. Lord, over been threatening to go shoe shopping since my surgery. I too need proper shoes.
Which are you finding better?
 
I’ve been trying (and mostly succeeding :heehee:) to be sensible and take things a bit easier over the last week or so - lots of rest, ice, regular painkillers and back to using one crutch again. It seems to be working - the pain is definitely less than it was now and I feel like I’m starting to walk a bit more normally again. I’m so impatient - I want everything to be back to normal straight away and, of course, it just won’t be! I’ve just got to take it slowly.

I made my first trip into the office this week (been working from home the last 2 or 3 weeks). It’s quite a long drive (about 70 miles) but once I get to the other end I don’t have far to walk as I can park right across from the office. My hip was fine with the long car journey but my poor old brain found the day hard work - somehow being there among real people, and having to get back into proper “professional” mode was quite overwhelming! In one way it was good to get back to normality, but I also found myself feeling strangely emotional afterwards, for no good reason. I guess it’s just that whole recovery rollercoaster!

Now, as for shoes... @Mojo333, I keep returning to my trusty Skechers. Partly because they’re slip-on (and bending to tie shoelaces etc is still a bit sore!) but also I find them nice and supportive. I feel kind of stable when I’m wear them - I think it’s because they have a nice thick cushiony sole. I tried ‘normal’ shoes with a flat heel but I didn’t feel quite so secure. I think it’s probably psychological! :snork: I keep eying up all my old heels and thinking “one day soon I will wear you again, my pretties...” but in reality I think it’ll be a while before I dare to try anything other than a nice flat heel! Have you been shoe shopping yet?
 
Hi @1hipwonder
I'm happy to hear you've ditched some pain with rest, ice and pain relievers. This is a journey and a slow one at that. There are some curves and bumps in the road but you'll get to your destination I'm sure.

I'm surprised you withstood the car ride. I struggled with that. Sitting in the car for over 30 mins for the first few months got me shifting around like a fidgety child. Just couldn't tolerate it but it's drastically improved. Thankfully!

I understand adjusting to people and work again. We tend to favor a sheltered existence during recovery. Lots of rest, not as many public outings and if like me, a uniform of sweats, a pony tail and Chapstick was about the extent of my beauty routine for a couple months!! So it's an adjustment of sorts. Its no fun to be forced to behave ourselves again once we venture back out into the world, Ha!

I agree on the shoes. I've become all about the slip ons! Also favoring brands I once deemed "old people"
They still have to be somewhat fashionable though. I'll kick and scream my way to old age......do you hear me across the ocean?

Wishing you continued healing and a peaceful weekend!
 
@1hipwonder Had to attend fundraiser last night so I HAVE to go tomorrow.
I had some sketchers a while back ...will try that first.
I hate to shop...PERIOD.
Glad to hear you are behaving...
Have a good weekend:) :-) (:
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom