THR Now the proud owner of a brand new hip

@1hipwonder ..so glad that everything seems to be going smoothly.

Wow..pretty impressive that your OA pain is already gone. I am one of the ones who really can't tell yet, especially as l just began having intense, stabbing groin pain that is worse than the pre-op groin pain.

I completely understand your trepidation about leaving the hospital. I went through the same thing. I was in for 3 nights, so it was a bit harder to leave. I also understand the 'out of the blue' blues. A good nurse can make all the difference! I had an amazing nurse, Debbie, on my first two overnight shifts. She was very caring and spent a lot of time making sure that I was comfortable. She really lifted my spirits :)

Ahh..the drifting in and out of sleep syndrome ! I was like that also until my pain meds were cut back last Thursday. Unfortunately, due to my setback, I am back on the same dosage of Oxy as before and l am going through the drifting phase. Suffice it to say, I was also given Toradol by IV whilst in hospital, so that added a whole new dynamic to the mix.

It may seem daunting returning home at first, but I think you will settle in and do nicely
:yahoo:

@zauberflöte always has some amazing ideas and the reassurance phone calls are a good example.

Please have a good evening:flwrysmile:
 
Well, we had a bit of a drama here last night - my wound suddenly decided to start bleeding. The poor nurse answered my call bell to find my room looking like the set of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre! :yikes:Fortunately it looked a lot worse than it was, so she put a dressing back on it and it's behaved since then. The nurses here are so kind and patient - after she'd cleaned up the whole mess and changed the sheets and my Teds (it's amazing how the blood got everywhere!) she was still smiling and just said "now, shall I make you a nice cup of tea?" Her colleague then popped in to see if I wanted a sandwich, as I'd felt a bit nauseous earlier and hadn't eaten much of my dinner.

I've just realised that we're conforming to Brit stereotype over here - many comforting cups of tea being handed out! :heehee:
 
Oh my! Scary at first I'll bet. Sounds like lots of blood!
Amazing the effect a smiling, even tempered nurse has on us. Thankfully it wasn't the opposite.
I hope you are having a good day @1hipwonder
 
Thank you, @Layla. Today is a good day so far. I've felt a much brighter and less fuzzy-headed in myself, my pain has been ok and I'm looking forward to going home this evening. The hospital has been great, with really caring staff, but there's nothing quite like being in your own home!
 
@1hipwonder oy! That sounds very exciting, recreating a slasher movie set for your nurses. I'm glad it came to nothing, and double glad that the nurses were there to clean up the mess. And give you stereotypical tea. Tell me, does it come in a styrofoam cup or a real mug?

Let's see....with the time difference, you might be on your way home now! Wonderful that you will have a carer to help change those awful sausage cases on your legs, and I look forward to 6 weeks from now when you have a celebration taking them off for good! Yeah, every doctor has a different idea about what to do with them. Mine seems to stick with two weeks, and this time around was "take off when you go to bed for the night". Some people don't even have to wear them. And as for blood thinners-- for my last hip there were many people doing the lovenox injections, and I haven't heard a peep about it this time around! What are you using?

So, familiar view, familiar sounds and smells and foods, and Bonesmart where you can come and chatter away all you like, any time of day or night! Check out the games section in Community if you get really bored-- many games that have been running for years and years! It would be fun to set a computer program on them to see how often they repeat themselves...
 
@1hipwonder ..sorry to hear about your revival of the "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" last night. I am sure that it was frightening, but it sounds as though you have been blessed with an awesome nursing staff. This can, at times, be of even more comfort than a lot of drugs!

I had a similar experience in the recovery area right after surgery. Somehow, my IV became detached from my arm and there were some consequences of the red kind too:thud:

By the time you read this, you should have already have arrived home. I hope that you are settling in nicely and that you are comfortable :SUNsmile:
 
You mentioned earlier @1hipwonder about buying one of those leg lifters. They actually just used a strip of some type of fabric - like tshirt material- in the hospital and then they gave it to me to take home. You can use a long strip of any fabric and fold it in half. Then you put the loop end around you foot to lift your leg. I've also read you can use a belt, too. You really won't need anything for very long as the log leg doesn't hang around. It is a strange feeling when you have it though and you just cannot move that leg.

I know it will feel great to be back home again and you'll find every day better than the one before. By the end of a week you can look back and see just how very far you have come. Sending wishes for a speedy recovery!!
 
@1hipwonder Congrats! Wishing you a speedy recovery. We're only a week apart in our surgeries. So far, my biggest challenge has been not to over-do things and to remember to rest and ice.

Sounds you had a lot of pain before surgery - in a weird way, it can make dealing with the recovery pain a little easier - especially knowing that it will be gone at some point!

Take care - look forward to seeing your progress.
 
Thank you all! I'm now nicely settled at home and it's great to be here - although I do miss the lovely nurses with their comforting tea and toast in the middle of the night. And the Morphine; I miss that too :heehee::rotfl:

I slept pretty well in my own bed, once I'd built a pillow wall to stop me accidentally turning onto my side (my surgeon was very firm that I must sleep on my back until he tells me otherwise!) and I've slept most of today, apart from doing my exercises. Is anybody else having really strange dreams? I'm guessing it's the meds (tramadol and Celecoxib) but I'm having the strangest, most detailed dreams - I should write them down when I wake up as they'd make good (if weird) stories!

It is frustrating how long everything takes when you're on crutches, isn't it? Even the simplest thing becomes a slow process. But I suppose time is one thing we all have plenty of over the coming weeks!
 
Great news @1hipwonder
Tea and toast...sounds so delightfully English, pinky finger in air lol! How lovely!

I slept in a recliner for the very reason you mentioned the pillow barricade. So afraid I'd roll on my incision.
Three weeks later, I basically crawled into a fort in my bed, still not caring to roll on it. I've tried sleeping on my operative side several times now and while it doesn't hurt.....I just can't get comfortable! And I'm a side sleeper. I even slept on my bad hip right up until surgery, with my good leg half on one of those long body pillows. That body pillow has become one of my favorite things. Gotta have it!

I don't recall any strange dreams but I only took 4 oxy and I was done. Didn't like the way they made me feel. Used Tylenol after that as needed. It did take longer to do everything early on, post op, the walker was the worst. Hauling it in the bathroom and into the shower even as I was afraid. I was happy to lose that cumbersome thing.

I hope you're doing well today, resting comfortably, with well managed pain.....I wish you a peaceful evening!
 
Well, the swelling has kicked in today - woke up this morning and wondered if I'd had a 'hippo' replacement rather than a hip as my right thigh was huge! :scaredycat: I've been trying to keep my leg elevated as much as possible today but it's still the same. Does anyone know how long the swelling typically persists?

Meanwhile, a lady came to help me with my TEDS this morning. She also helped me get out of the shower (I was ok getting in but needed a steadying hand getting out again so I was very glad to have her there). It was lovely to have a proper shower - I felt much more Human afterwards (despite the leg of a hippo!). The little things really matter on this journey, don't they?

I think the TED lady was slightly disconcerted to hear me muttering under my breath "bad leg goes to hell...bad leg goes to hell" as I walked downstairs - as I still have to remind myself which foot to step forward with (bad leg down to hell going downstairs and good leg up to heaven when going the other way) . Hey ho. I'm sure she's dealt with crazier people than me! :snork:
 
Bahahaha! "Bad leg goes to hell". That's a good one @1hipwonder
My PT told me "up with good" - "down with bad".
At 10 weeks out, I still say it in my head starting out as it hasn't become habit yet.

Jo may be the best one to answer the swelling question. I heard and read it can go on for a few months but to a lesser degree than hippo size, I would imagine.

I remember that first shower too.....it felt amazing!! I was wobbly also and even hauled my walker in for extra security. Did it the first few times actually.

With the time difference you're probably getting ready to call it a night.
Hope it's a peaceful one for you.....Sweet Dreams!
 
That's a hoot, @1hipwonder ...yep, bet they get way fruitier than you. Sorry to hear about all that swelling. Mine weren't quite so bad but I kept those stickers shy high once I got home in the recliner mostly. Bout the only place I could sleep.
Super sensitive though...even my heels where they rubbed on the sheets.
Shower is super. Very early days and hard stuff to deal with. You and Lerwick8...proud you are dealing with it with grace. In a few short weeks things will seem so much better. Hang in there. Your body has been through alot of trauma...:loveshwr:
 
Well, I can't believe it's been over a week already since my op! My swelling has gone down a lot and the pain isn't too bad mostly. I stopped taking Tramadol after my unpleasant stomach episode earlier in the week and I've been managing the pain fairly well since then with paracetamol and ice packs, although it's aching quite a lot today.

I'm surprised by how strong my operated leg actually feels - I'm sure I've noticed a change even in the last 24 hours. It is amazing how the body heals itself!
 
Yes, it is amazing how we heal. You sound great! Happy to hear the tummy issues left the building.
Recovery is enough in itself without the mini detours. Hope you're getting plenty of rest, ice and elevation.
Wishing you continued healing and a great week @1hipwonder
 
:goodpost: good to know you are feeling better...don't be surprised this early in if you find days that are super good, and then some dumpy days.
Embrace the good stuff and know this is all temporary.
Great attitude gets you a long way also !
 
Hi there, big congratulations on getting through your op, I am 2 days post op ahead of you so can tell you that you will be fine when you go home, but don't do too much, you will get all the exercise you need just getting a drink from the kitchen and going to the loo. I felt much emotionally stronger when I didn't need to take the big drugs like tramadol and morphine, so just be kind to yourself and have faith that everyday gets a little bit better than the day before. Us young ones seem to bounce back quickly if we don't get silly and do more than we should.
good luck
Kaz
 
Last edited:
It sounds like you are doing well and made it through your first hurdle just fine. Recovery is mostly all good but there always seems to be a few bumps in the road along the way. At the end of each week though when you look back, you will see the progress. It's all pretty amazing!
 
Back
Top Bottom