THR Now the proud owner of a brand new hip

hey there @1hipwonder I looked up tramadol and dreams in case you hadn't-- apparently you are far from the first person to have vivid dreams while taking it. Google "tramadol dreams" and you will see what I mean!

That "it feels so strong" feeling is glorious, isn't it! And....it only gets better!

How is your swelling? I had a problem with too-tight compression stockings, and the swelling and pain started to abate when I Took Them OFF and substituted my old pair from the first hip, which had never ever felt "tight". Has yours gone down yet?

And I got a giggle out of your good ol' original way to remember which leg goes where when on the stairs. I've heard both yours and the "up with the good, down with the bad" one. What drives me nuts is when a PT says, "now remember, you can't use your op leg for climbing stairs with"-- what even does that mean? :rotfl:
 
@1hipwonder Trying to stop in and check on my fellow Sept sapphires. Read thru your posts and glad to read you are doing so well. Sounds like you are handling each hurdle without too much difficulty. I stopped and laughed for about 10 mins over the bad leg to hell but what a wonderful funny way to remember a necessity. I am 12 days after your surgery date but have been home 2 days already and 5 days post op and feeling pretty good. Hope you are resting well, icing and elevating diligently.
 
I haven't checked in for a while - the upset tummy issues I had early on came back again and I've been a bit grumpy and down in the dumps as a result. I've also had a few things to attend to at home. Anyway, I'm feeling better now - tummy finally seems to have cleared up at last and I'm starting to feel back to my normal self again.

My hip is doing really well - I can't believe it's now nearly 4 weeks since my op! It really does seem to get a little stronger each day. I'm taking very short walks outside every day - just to the end of the block and back - and I think I'm starting to walk a bit better now but I don't think I'll be casting of my crutches for a while yet!

@zauberflöte - I looked up Tramadol dreams after I read your post. It's quite fascinating! I'm so glad not to be taking that stuff any more (I think it was heavily responsible for the dodgy tummy) but I quite miss those vivid dreams! They were quite entertaining! :loll:I'm still having a little bit of swelling but thankfully it's nothing like the size it was! I'm still elevating it, to be on the safe side.

@mystikfairy61 - how are you doing now?
 
@1hipwonder Tramadol was funky for me, too, to say the least. Practically put me to sleep during the day (at work!), then knocked me out at night for a while until I'd wake from weird dreams and couldn't get back to sleep afterwards.They also didn't do anything for my pain. Needless to say I didn't take them very long.
 
It's nice to hear your update @1hipwonder
Luckily the tummy issues you suffered went away.
Almost a month already.....time does fly! Recovery passes much more quickly than
you anticipate it will. It sounds as though you're doing well.
Best wishes for continued recovery and a great week!
 
So proud you are doing well. Your positive attitude and willingness to let you body be your guide has proven to be part of your ongoing success. Glad you are feeling better. :ok:
 
@1hipwonder Thanks for asking. First glad to hear that the tummy issues have resolved. When we don't feel good there, it makes us feel bad all over. :sick:
I am doing good. Got staples out today along with a wonderful staple free shower.:roseshwr: Did a little walking with my cane instead of walker but tried not to overdo it.
Keep those posts coming when you have time. Being 2 weeks behind you, it gives me something to look forward to.:) Glad you are back! Hope you have a restful night. :sleep:
 
You are doing really well, I am 3 weeks post op tomorrow and like yourself I had the hippo leg/ log leg for the first two weeks. Swelling has pretty much disappeared now apart from a little round the knee area and most of the bruising has disappeared now. I find rest, elevation and the occasional ice pack really helps with the swelling. Doing my post op exercises twice a day and can feel the tone and strength slowly returning to my muscles. It's quite a long road to full recovery but staying positive and setting yourself little goals helps enormously.
 
Just found this thread and have enjoyed reading all of your comments
My surgery is a week today 4th Oct and to be honest I'm dreading it
You guys are giving me hope and a little giggle to help me along
thank you and I'm so happy to hear @1hipwonder and all of you other guys and girls who have recently had surgery are doing so well
 
Hey there, sorry to hear about your tummy troubles and glad you are feeling better,like you I am celebrating the 4 week mark and have also started wee walks around the block. The dog feels so much happier to have Mum back even if the walks are now drastically shorter than she's been used too. I was hoping that she would be a kind and caring companion while I recovered at home, however it turns out she is quite the selfish little thing and happily traded her loyalty to whoever walked her.:dogwalk:
Another happy moment for me was my surgeon allowing me to drive again so house arrest is over!!! I find though that I don't like to be on my feet for more than half an hour so it does limit the kind of adventures I can have with my new freedom.
Anyway I hope you continue to feel better and stronger too.
Kaz :flwrysmile:
 
@1hipwonder just stopping by the say hi and let you know I am thinking of you.

@Welshgirl Try not to worry yourself about it too much. You are in the best place possible for answers, support and giggles galore! Will be waiting for your first recovery post when you join the ranks of new hippie! Focus on getting things ready for when you come home to make things easier for you. That seemed to help that last bit of time go by easier for me.
 
Thanks everyone - it’s so lovely to have your support and encouragement.

@mystikfairy61 and @mercman, it sounds as though you’re both doing really well! Ice packs really are a Godsend, aren’t they? And it’s amazing how quickly the muscle tone and strength return.

@HipnewKaz - you’re doing brilliantly! So pleased to hear that house arrest is over. Must admit, I’m going a bit stir crazy being stuck in the house and unable to go anywhere. Still - hopefully only two more weeks...:) I did laugh reading about your dog. My cats are making it quite clear that they’re not happy with the level of service their human slave is giving them at the moment. They’ll be delighted when I eventually cast off my crutches and get back to playing with (and waiting on) them again. :kitty: Actually, one of them sometimes accompanies me when I take a walk, but I think I’m a bit slow for him so he loses interest half way through and wanders off!

@Welshgirl - I know it’s much easier said than done, but try not to worry too much. I can already tell that the operation has been well worth it - just being free of the old hip pain is amazing (even before I’ve had chance to put the new hip to proper use!). I’m sure you’ll find the same. Meanwhile, everyone on here is so kind and supportive, and just having that friendship on hand really helps with recovery. You’ll be fine!
 
Today, I got a bit brave and went for a longer walk than usual - still not far, but a good bit longer than previous days. I managed it ok, but it really tired me out and made me ache. I think perhaps I was a tiny bit over-ambitious there so I’ll be a little more careful tomorrow! :)
 
@1hipwonder I did the same thing a couple of days ago walking down my driveway. I agree with the over ambition. If like me, you want things to start moving a wee bit faster, so you push yourself a bit more and then decide maybe I shouldn't have done that. Patience is the muscle I have to work harder than any other I have to exercise. Hope you get the rest you need.
 
Patience is the muscle I have to work harder than any other I have to exercise
Well said, we all have to find our happy medium.
Good for you for getting out and about though...onward...
 
Well, I went back to see the surgeon a couple of days ago for my 6 week check. He’s really pleased with how everything’s going and has told me to go down to one crutch and given me the all-clear to drive! Best of all, he says I can now sleep on my side! (Although, I’ve discovered that in practice it’s still too painful to sleep on either side just yet.) And even better than best of all - the TED stockings can finally come off! Hooray! I would have done a little happy dance if my hip had let me... :loll:

He did give me strict instructions not to overdo it, though! Of course, what did I do straight away? Yep - thrilled with my new freedom, I went and overdid it!! Decided to take a ‘nice little walk’ up the lane to my local cafe. It was only half way up the lane, when my muscles started acheing and I found I was already worn out, that I realised I’d been a bit over-optimistic. It’s not such a ‘little’ walk after all and there’s no pavement, so I had to take my chances with crazy motorists in huge RangeRovers driving too close round the bends - it was certainly a bit of an adrenaline rush! :loll:I was about half way there, so I could either turn back and go home or continue towards the coffee and cake... well, the lure of coffee, cake and civilisation was too great after 6 weeks in captivity so I ploughed slowly on. Coffee has never tasted so good! I got a very warm welcome from the staff (they’d missed my custom!) too, which was nice. But I can tell you, I had a good long sit down before making the very slow return journey home. Anyway, that night I really paid for my mistake so I’ve been taking things a bit easier since then. And icing!

Today, I tried a very short drive. It was ok, and luckily my car has quite a high driving position which helped. Unfortunately, I found that the curve of the seat presses on my operation site, which is bearable for a very short while but then rather sore, so I won’t be making any long journeys just yet...

What I have found, though, is that now I’m using only one crutch, walking starts to get painful very quickly indeed (even after a quick hobble from one room to the other) which wasn’t so much the case with 2 crutches. I also find that I revert to limping slightly. I guess it’s just my muscles adjusting to not having that extra support on both sides but it’s a little worrying. Has anyone else found that and is it normal?

Meanwhile, though, I’m delighted to have freed my poor, pasty white lower legs from their sausage-casing TED socks - it’s good to feel the air on them again. Unfortunately, in the last 6 weeks the British weather has taken a decidedly chilly turn and there’s not much sign of the sun at the moment. If nothing else, those TED socks sure were nice and warm :snork:
 
Well, this has been quite a week so far! I started back at work, mainly because I’ve now used up my sick leave entitlement.

Fortunately, my boss is really supportive and he’s happy for me to work from home until I’m a bit more mobile. I normally commute to the office (about 70 miles away) on 2 or 3 days a week and work from home the rest of the week, so he’s used to me working remotely. He’s also happy for me to ease myself back into work gradually over the first week or two, which is good. Even so, I have to admit it’s been a bit of a struggle - my concentration span has seemingly disappeared and I get tired very quickly. Also, to be honest, I don’t really feel resilient enough yet to get back into some of the stressful issues that I now need to pick up. I feel a bit fragile, which is strange. I’m sure it’ll pass but it’s not great. Has anyone else experienced that on going back to work?

Then this afternoon I had an emergency with one of my cats - turns out the lens in his eye has basically dislocated! He might need surgery but it looks as though he’s also got other issues going on with his kidneys or thyroid so the vet did lots of tests and we’re waiting for the results. With no one to help me, getting poor Harvey into the carrying basket was a nightmare - He’s not easy at the best of times but as I am at the moment it was really difficult. And then carrying the basket was hard work. Luckily the vet was kind enough to carry it back to the car afterwards. Now I’m really achey - I’ve well and truly joined the Overdid It Club today :nah:

Just needed to have a bit of a whinge - feeling sorry for myself tonight!
 
Oh, my! So sorry about your kitty. Not a good time to deal with extra trauma and worry.
You are always at and positive...you are busy healing. Don't overdo:no-fin:
Hope tomorrow is a good day.
 
Hi @1hipwonder
Whining is accepted. I'm sure we've all took our turn while recovering. So no worries there.

So you're back to work, jumping back into life! It's great you have a supportive boss. All aren't so lucky!

I didn't deal too much with fatigue as I slept pretty well at night. I'm not a napper,
never have been and fully expected recovery would make me more sleepy. Wrong!
However....I can totally relate to the concentration issues. I definitely experienced that
and found it really frustrating. Thankfully it slowly improved. I feel I was a little more emotional also
but attributed it to lack of mobility and boredom. I was prepared and had things to occupy my time
but naturally you want to do all the things you are unable to do.

Sorry about Harvey. Hopefully he's ok. Take it easy and get as much rest as you can so you can exit the ODIC.
Best wishes for a relaxing weekend!
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom