Guest viewing is limited

THR Now my other side hurts.

Hi all,

I went to my 3 months post op follow up appointment today, and the left hip looks great. The X rays showed a "well positioned total left hip arthroplasty."

As for the right side "there is moderate to severe degenerative disease involving the right hip joint. Degenerative changes are seen at the lumbosacral junction."

The right hip has deteriorated much sooner than we originally thought it would, and my surgeon recommended replacing it. I have some things planned for this summer so to buy some time, he prescribed PT and possibly injections if the PT does not help. I am hoping that I can make it until October before I have to replace the right side.

Jeff

@benne68
@Layla
 
Great news that your left hip recovery is going well! I am sorry you received discouraging news about your right hip and the need for a replacement. It makes sense that you want to wait and enjoy the Summer and fulfill the plans you've made. Waiting will also buy you more time for the healing and strengthening of your left leg. I hope if you receive an injection it helps buy you time. Injections can be pretty unpredictable. Some people get weeks to months of improvement and for some it doesn't do much at all. In most cases you will need
to wait three months after an injection before surgery can be performed.

Wishing you many pain free moments to enjoy the the things you have planned and hopefully come October you're ready to face surgery and begin to put all of this behind you getting back to all that you love. I look forward to reading further updates and following your journey.
Have a great rest of the week! :)
@Glass2026
 
Great update Jeff. It’s the good news/bad news doctor visit but at least you know the other side will need to be replaced at some point. I like the approach to enjoy summer & schedule in fall or later.
Stay the course!
 
Happy Three Month Anniversary!
I hope you have a great Wednesday, Jeff! :SUNsmile:
@Glass2026
 
The right hip has deteriorated much sooner than we originally thought it would, and my surgeon recommended replacing it. I have some things planned for this summer so to buy some time
I hope the PT and injections give you the time you want for your summer plans. But I recommend you have a "Plan B" in place -- because that hip can decide it's done at the least convenient moment.

Wishing you a good summer. Keep us posted.
 
Happy Four Month Anniversary!
Wishing you a lovely weekend on this first day of Summer!
Stay in touch and let us know if the PT you're engaging in is helping to buy you some time. Hope so for you. :fingersx:
All the best!
@Glass2026
 
I was just rereading some of your earlier posts, since I haven't been on here in awhile. When I had x-rays and an MRI for my right hip in 2018, my doctor commented on how unusual it was that my right hip was bone on bone, with no cartilage remaining, while my left hip looked "perfect". He said that with that hip I should never need to even have to think about a hip replacement there.

Right hip replacement recovery was smooth, and before long I was 100% back to doing everything I could many years before, prior to the awful hip pain. Fast forward 6 years---I started having pain in the "perfect hip" and it was determined I had tronchanter bursitis, which was treated with a couple of different steroid shots over the next year. Then a different pain started in the left hip, and when xrays were done it was determined that that hip had deteriorated completely in just 2 years. It also was bone on bone and needing to be replaced, which I have scheduled for August. It's a perfect example of how quickly a joint can deteriorate. I did PT, steroid injections, you name it, in hopes of making it until October, but it wasn't in the cards; hence my Plan B had to be activated! So, as @benne68 suggests, do have a back up plan in place! We may be recovering from our 2nd hip replacements at the same time! Take care.
 
Hi all,

Just wanted to give a quick update. My left hip has never felt better. I am really pleased with my progress up to this point. I just returned from a 10 day Alaskan cruise, that entailed a lot of walking and climbing, and I had no issues with my operated hip. Unfortunately, I can't say the same thing about my right. It has deteriorated pretty quickly, and I have a consultation with my surgeon next Tuesday to set a date to get my right hip replaced. It's probably going to be in late August since he is out of the country for most of August. Late August will be 6 months out from my first replacement, and he feels that my left side is strong enough at this point. Hopefully, this replacement will go as smoothly as the first. Thanks for checking in on me, and I hope you all are having a great summer!

Jeff
@Debru4 @Layla
 
Thanks for the update @Glass2026, you e done really well, and the cruise sounded great.
August will soon be here. Please do keep us posted and in a few months you’ll be through it all.
 
Glad to read that hip #1 is doing so well, @Glass2026, and that you were able to enjoy the cruise. Alaska is amazingly beautiful, isn't it?

I'm sorry you need another surgery so soon. But, having been through this first recovery, you know what to expect. And, by the new year, you will have 2 pain-free hips and can enjoy more fun travel!

Please let us know your surgery date when you get it!
 
Thanks for the update. An Alaskan cruise, I'll bet that was fun. It sounds like your recovery is going really well, but I'm sorry to read you'll need a Right THR soon. You'll be happy you had your surgeries done in quick succession once you're past the early recovery period. We'll be here for you, Jeff.
Wishing you many moments of comfort to enjoy the Summer before your next procedure.
@Glass2026
 
August will be here before you know it!
Our friends went on an Alaskan cruise & just loved it. Happy you were able to walk around & enjoy!
 
@Glass2026 What a lovely update. Alaska is the one cruise that I would love to go on. I'm glad you had a wonderful trip. It's too bad you're facing another replacement but like above, it seems that already freshly coming off the one might be easier to prepare the next. In any case, you know we'll be here for you. Take care until then.
 
Great news that your hip replacement was so successful, and that you were able to enjoy your trip to Alaska. Bummer that the other hip has called it quits on you sooner than you'd hoped, but it may turn out to be a blessing, as you'll have them both done and will be in great shape by the time next spring/summer roll around! I am having my 2nd hip done in early August, so we'll be on part of this journey with our 2nd hips at the same time! Hope you enjoy the rest of your summer. I am trying to pack a lot of fun into the 3 1/2 weeks before my surgery, knowing I'll be sidelined for a few weeks at least!
 
Hi there,
Not long to go now. The last weekend before your big day on Monday.
I hope you're hanging in there and the discomfort or pain is manageable. Wishing you a pleasant weekend, Jeff.
@Glass2026
 
Hi Layla,

Thanks so much. I report to the surgery center at 6:00 am on Monday. I'll give an update as soon as I can. Have a great weekend as well.

Jeff

@Layla
 

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom