BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

Now it’s my shoulders

Discussion in 'Shoulder surgery pre-op area' started by Ursula72, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Ursula72

Ursula72 member

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hello Layla and Atkinson8
    Sorry for my late reply.
    I agree I too didn’t know how mean Osteoarthritis could be, the pain is through the roof very often, a hip is bad enough then our shoulder starts really kicking off. I’m not looking forward to more surgery either,but if I could have it done tomorrow I’d say”Yes please!” Trouble is both my shoulders are almost useless now. You good folk in USA are stuck without health insurance. We have the NHS here in UK, but through government cuts the NHS is struggling to cope. If you’re well off and pay for the operation etc you’re OK here....but a lot of us Brits aren’t well off. I see the consultant June 25th.I hope all goes well with you and the Health Insurance etc.,

2. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

@Ursula72 So sorry you have to play the waiting game for so long. Hang in there and do keep us updated. We are with you all the way!

3. Ursula72

Ursula72 member

Thanks Jaycee :tada:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United States United States
    Lots of good wishes coming your way my friend!:console2:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Jamie

Jamie ADMINISTRATOR Administrator

Sorry it's going to take a while for your surgery. Waiting is so rough, but it will be worth it.

Don't believe all the stories you read about people here in the states not having insurance. Most do have some help through an insurance policy. We actually see very few people on the forum who are totally without the ability to get their joints replaced. Some may have to wait like you are, but at least they can have the surgery.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. djklaugh

djklaugh post-grad

@Ursula72 I am very fortunate to have excellent insurance through my former employer - a retirement benefit :) Plus government Medicare which picks up most of what insurance does not cover. My insurance is through a big HMO (health maintenance organization - insurance plus they run their own clinics and hospitals). My out of pocket costs for each surgery was minimal - $5 copay for office visits and $5 copay for prescriptions and an extra $75 after hips for a special ride home. Despite all that I had to wait a long time for my surgeries ... about 6 months for hips (from appt with surgeon to actual trip to the OR), about 7 months for first shoulder and almost a whole year for 2nd shoulder! First two were just scheduling issues for very busy orthopedic surgical department. 2nd shoulder was exacerbated because the HMO was losing surgeons right and left. This is not a problem limited to my state or my HMO. There is a crying need for doctors and surgeons especially all over the US. Plus with the "baby boomers" generation getting old, joint replacement surgeries are being done more and more frequently.

I sincerely hope you do not have a long wait once you've seen the consultant!!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ursula72

Ursula72 member

Hello folks....thanks for the info about medical care and insurance in the USA. I know it’s best to have insurance where you are, but I’m glad your country looks after people who need joint replacements etc.,
    It sounds as if your country are stretched for medical staff too as it is over here in UK.
    I’m a baby boomer too.
    I wish I had taken out Health Insurance when I was younger and fit.
    I’m surprised also just how many late 30’s to 50’s people need joint replacements.
    Until the joint replacement thing happens to you you find out just how many people are having joints replaced.
    I’m 73 but I’m still learning
    Bless you all my joint replacement friends

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Jamie

Jamie ADMINISTRATOR Administrator

Yep, you're exactly right. We need more doctors here, especially in the many rural areas. Big city hospitals have no problem recruiting physicians. That's much more difficult in the smaller communities. Some areas and insurance companies are trying telemedicine and it has a lot of promise.

• Like Like x 1