THR Now I have four<

Status
Not open for further replies.
2. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?
How many tablets are you taking and how often do you take them?

2. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

I am taking one in the morning and when in the evening. I take tylenol during the day for any pain that I might have. In the morning is when I have the most pain and then again around early evening when it gets a bit much. I take the Tylenol usually around noon.

ai64.tinypic.com_2ur5df9.jpg

1 is most likely muscular but more likely post-op pain
2 is very likely Trochanteric bursitis
3 is very likely Piriformis syndrome which invariably goes hand in hand with TB but given the excessive exercise routine you have, it's more likely just simple post-op pain
Right now my pain is a 5 for the burning pain on my thigh. If I try to lift my leg I have groin pain that would be about an 8
Hydrocodon - APAP 10 - 325 one am and one pm.
I take Tylenol during the day for any pain that I might have. In the morning is when I have the most pain and then again around early evening when it gets a bit much. I take the Tylenol usually around noon.
In other words you take you Hydrocdone twice daily and the Tylenol once a day at noon, yes? That's a very poor pain med schedule, especially considering you're only 2 weeks out!

I did also ask what you were prescribed which you neglected to say but I am assuming that it would be 1-2 tablets every 4-6 hours, is that correct? In which case, that's what you need to take! And assuming the hydrocodone has no acetaminophen in it, you should take 1,000mg of Tylenol with each dose of hydrocodone.
Icing twice a day for about an hour on PT days. I ice three times an hour at a time
You accomplish little or nothing with those times. Ice for at least 40-60mins and more than 4 times a day.
I do the dishes, laundry and try to keep the house straightened. I don't do shopping.
You're doing far too much. Read this Activity progression for THRs

My comments in bold

At PT - all this at 2 weeks? That's very unwise not to say dangerous. You hip needs time to settle down and heal, not all this boot camp stuff! Quit PT is my advice!
Balance on a board - 20 reps - will have caused all the pains you have
a band on my ankle moving my leg to the side - 30 reps - and these
Massage
A sitting machine that is like a stepper. I believe it is called a new step I do this for 10 minutes.
- and these
Sit on a large ball and rotate in a circle with the ball staying stationary - 20 reps - and this
Moving and stretching my leg in a star fashion 20 reps - and definitely this!

Exercises at home: Twice a day
Heel slides x10 reps
- these are more appropriate for knees and contribute nothing to hips
Straight leg raises x10 Cannot do these my leg hurts to much to lift my leg - exactly! So don't do them. However, this is one you have to do eventually to activate your quads. BUT once you can do them, you don't need to do them any more! For now, just try a couple in the morning. If you can do a full leg lift, try a short one to get you going
ai68.tinypic.com_25jy235.jpg

Steps x10 I live in a 2 story home so I go up and down the stairs a couple times a day about 14 steps. I do not have any pain going up just coming down.
I have been given exercises to do at home, but other than the heel slides I don't do them - well good for you! But heel slides aren't appropriate for hips anyway so you can stop those too!

I strongly advise against such excessive routines. Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess. So quit PT and get better!

@Josephine I am actually 6 weeks out today. And my pain meds do say to take every 4 - 6 hours for pain. So is this still not enough pain meds the way I am taking them at six weeks.

I started out patient PT at 3 weeks post op

I am going to quit the therapy. I do feel better when I don't go there. Plus my insurance doesn't pay for it so I would be doing myself a favor both ways.

@fiberlady it scares me when I see that people are doing this much exercise.

I was operated on 25 Nov & have spent a lot of time lying around with my feet up, taking painkillers and just sleeping.

I am definitely feeling much better - walking with one crutch outside and unaided inside when I'm not tired. I use my phone to tell me how many steps I have taken in the day and am trying to get it up to 5000 per day for a few days at a time. I feel much better when I have been walking.

Also still taking painkillers (paracetamol-acetaminophen 1g 3 times a day and an anti inflammatory once a day - arcoxia) and I notice if I skip them that it is much more difficult to walk unaided.

I believe all the excellent advice on bonesmart about letting my body decide.

Cut back on the hard work & hopefully your pain levels will improve soon!

Best wishes for 2016.

RTHR 25 November 2015

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

I am actually 6 weeks out today. And my pain meds do say to take every 4 - 6 hours for pain. So is this still not enough pain meds the way I am taking them at six weeks.
Well, you judge - is it managing your pain or not? You said your pain was 5 in your thigh and 8 if you try to do a SLR. So I'd say it's definitely not enough.
I am going to quit the therapy. I do feel better when I don't go there.
Exactly! But do remember you don't need to do the exercises at home either.!

If you want confirmation that this will work, I recommend you read my recovery threads to see how little exercising I did!
First knee. Knee recovery - UK style
Second knee. Josephine's 2nd knee story - short version where I did even less!

It has been about two and a half weeks since I have been to therapy. Been doing the resting, icing, medicating routine. So far the only thing that has happened is that I have been laid up with bronchitis. My GP put me on routine of meds, including prednisone. My hip pain is now feeling pretty good. The muscle pain feels better and I can lift my leg with little pain. But it didn't feel this way until I started the meds two days ago.

I am eagerly awaiting my OS appointment in two weeks. It has been 8 weeks since my surgery. I have to admit my first hip was easier. I had no pain at all. This is frustrating because it seems the left side of my body is a bad side, as my knee is not doing as well as the first one either.

2½ weeks is but a drop in the ocean. You might not see any improvement for twice that time or even longer.
This is a slow old process!

Fiber lady, I was glad to see you are feeling a little better! Your situation made me realize that I am going to really be careful about how much I do. I gather slow and steady is best. Have a good day!

RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR in my future.

Been awhile since I have been on. Came down with the flu and then bronchitis. So was forced to rest. Hip didn't seem like it had improved, actually seemed worse. Last week I was feeling better, so straightened and dusted up the house over three days, rested a day and then went out with our granddaughter for a walk, had no pain and was getting around pretty good. I am able to get in the car with very little pain now. The thigh muscle pain has seemed like it has eased up a bit, I was supposed to go to the OS on Tuesday, but they cancelled and I go next Tuesday, so I guess I will have a better report for him. However, my knee has been bothering me on the same side as this hip. It is 13 months old and I can feel a lot of numbness as I walk as well as being stiff. At least I am now seeing some progress with my hip.

@fiberlady just a thought - are you still wearing the same shoes you worn pre-op? Wearing shoes with an older wear pattern can cause lower back and knee issues. Get yourself some new walking shoes and see if this eases.

Glad you are starting to see progress with your hip!

Awwww! Hope your chest is clearing up. Nothing is worse than coughing when your body is feeling beat up already. Maybe a new pair of shoes and some more rest will be a big help--:walking:

Oh my goodness, I should have known that, with this being my fourth replacement, and I already have a new pair of shoes that I purchased before I had my surgery, I was holding off wearing them, didn't want to get them dirty . :snork::heehee:. Guess I better pull them out and start wearing them.

We had spring weather here today, spent time walking and being outside, cold and snow flurries return tomorrow. Have to take it in when you get the chance.

Went to the OS last week, they said I am walking with my foot turned in, I did the same thing with my right hip replacement. I have been trying to correct the problem. In the meantime I am trying to get back to my regular routine. I still have some soreness in the muscle area and in the groin area. Still a bit painful lifting my leg to get into the car and into bed. Climbing stairs is not a problem. It has been 12 weeks since my surgery. The weather was brutally cold here the past week and with that came a lot of stiffness, leg and back pain. I do stretching exercises which seem to help a bit. I am lucky that I am retired now and can rest on the days that it seems bad. I am trying to be patient, hoping with time everything will heal.

It will be four months next week that I had my LHR. I can finally say I am getting back to normal, I am walking better, going to gentle joint swim aerobics, which seems to be really helping. I can lift my leg to get in the car and to get in bed with very little pain. I go to the OS on April 5, and then I don't have to go back for awhile. I honestly did not think I would get to this point. There is light at the end of the tunnel.

#@Fiberlady,
I wanted to say hi to you. I'm a fiberlady too! Handweaver and spinner. Having my hip done has taken me away from my loom temporarily. Are you also a spinner/weaver?
I just had my third joint replaced (both knees and left hip) so I am one joint behind you. That hip has about one to two years to go my surgeon said before its done as well. It helps me to know that there are other people out there with multiple replacements (can't spell prostheses). Thank you for posting your journey.

@NellBell sorry I didn't see your post sooner, yes I am a spinner and weaver. It has been a long four years for me getting all four joints replaced. I am finally getting to be able to return to a normal life again. I started weaving again on my floor loom at the beginning of March, I have been using my table loom. I have not touched my spinning wheel in a long time as it was too painful. Since I have been doing better I have not had the time to try it again.

I found that once I noticed that the hip was acting up, it went from bad to worse quickly, so when the second one started to go, my OS suggested to get it done before it got as bad as the first one. I could barely walk or get up from a chair with the first hip, I was more worried about my job than my health. I will pop over to your thread and read your recovery. Good luck to you and it is nice to meet another fiber enthusiast. You are the third one I have met on here.

@fiberlady - I don't belong to the Seattle Weaving guild; it meets when I'm at work. But another two years and I will. I know one of the big motivators for me to get this done was to be able to get back to my loom. Been a long time since I could get down on the floor and change the tie-up. And picking up dropped shuttles has been tough. I did buy a Rigid Heddle tabletop loom to keep me busy until I can manage my big loom again. Looks like four months for you to be able to weave again. That is hopeful/

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Becky56
Recent bookmarks
Back