THR Now I have four<

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Threads the journals I am doing for gifts will just be purchased bound moleskin journals that I will cover. The next ones I do I was planning on making my own paper and binding them, just haven't thought about how I would do that. I will have to check out your suggestion of the Coptic style. I am eager to get back to the floor loom that is set up for an advancing twill.

I have been progressing daily, not using the walker at all, just the cane. I see the OS tomorrow we will see what he says. Home PT ends on Thursday and next week Tuesday I go to outpatient. I hope I can get everything in before the end of the year.

WOW - you are doing great! I felt that once you got your hip looked after your knee would be happier - you seem much happier as a "whole". I've just taken tea towels off the loom and need to get a baby blanket on. My table loom needs to get put away for the holidays so we can put up the Christmas tree. I've still got my post-op brain warp on that loom waiting for me to weave off the 4th scarf. Guess it's now or never to get that done!

Look forward to hearing your report from your OS.

Went for my two week check up today. He said everything looks good, the infection is just about gone and the incision is healing nicely. He was very happy with how it looked and my progress so far. The only thing was the x-Ray they took, they had me bend and move my leg in a way that did not make my hip happy nor me. I was in a lot of pain afterwards. Took a pain pill, iced and rested for a portion of the afternoon.

@Threads yes I am in much better spirits, I can tell that things are going to be better. I can actually stand in one place longer than I have in the past. I have a very good feeling about this and will be looking forward to the summer months and the yard I have neglected for so long. Of course I should be back to weaving and spinning in no time.

Yeah! :happydance::dancy::egypdance: Great news at 2 weeks out, except for the X-Ray. About time you started to feel like yourself again! It looks like you'll get a chance to enjoy this Christmas, no cold, no looking ahead to another surgery - just, finally, a successful outcome to your two surgeries in a little over a year. You've made my day!!

Well I was released from home PT today. I start outpatient therapy next Tuesday. I took a pain pill this morning and did not take another one until just a few minutes ago. Over 12 hours. Not too bad, I want to start taking Tylenol in between, but I was not in any pain or discomfort today. I did get a two hour nap. Of course now I can't sleep. My leg does feel stiff and I started experiencing some pain in my leg so I took a pain pill. I need to cut back on the heavy duty drugs so that I can drive to PT.

Went to outpatient PT today, they mostly evaluated me to see where I am at. I guess I am okay. My leg is weak, but I already knew that. What I didn't know, and didn't have to be concerned with the last hip replacement is scar tissue. I could feel it and knew it was there and rather thick, but the PT or nurse never said anything about it or what to do. The PT said a lot of my pain could be from this as it is very tight. So I am to work on this. She also is having me use the rolling pin on my thigh. Just from doing it a little bit while there it did feel good.

So I am hoping I can make some progress to strengthen my leg and to get off pain meds.

I am concerned that I am still on pain meds. I had no idea this was going to be as painful as it is. My last hip replacement, I was off pain meds after a week. I never needed them. I tried just taking Tylenol but it did nothing to get rid of the pain and it just got worse until I could not stand the pain so took a pain pill.

I go back on Thursday we shall see if I progressed a bit.

Woke up in the middle of the night with severe pain. I would have to say it got to a seven last night. I took a pain pill and tried to go back to sleep. I wasn't too bad this morning when I got up. I tried putting my socks on without the sock aide today. Yay I did it. I actually put on tie shoes, the first time since summer.

Went to therapy yesterday. I cannot do the leg raises no matter how hard I try I cannot raise that leg. It is very painful even when they help me get my leg up. The exercises were hard to do but I did what I could. This time it seems that the hip replacement is rougher than when I had it posterior four years ago. I have more pain, I don't have restrictions, I can actually do a lot of things except for the straight leg raises. It seems that now I am having good and bad days emotionally. I was trying to back off the pain meds and came to the conclusion that I actually feel better emotionally and physically if I take the pain meds. I only take one in the morning and one in the late afternoon. It seems to do the trick. I tried taking tylenol but it didn't take the pain away.

It will be 4 weeks on Monday and I know I am still early into recovery, but I just want to get over with all the pain. I guess I need an attitude adjustment.

Hi Cindy You are so right when you say that you are still early in recovery.I wouldn't worry about not being able to do a straight leg raise yet as it will come when your muscles become stronger and if you push yourself you risk an injury.If it was me I would listen to your body and if this exercise hurts you don't do them.You are doing really well with all the other exercises with is brilliant.Well done.

Today was the most weepy day I have ever had. This is my fourth joint replacement and I cannot remember ever being weepy. I dread the thought of going to therapy on Tuesday. I have to tell her that it hurts too much to do the straight leg raises and I don't want to do them. I spent two days last week trying to recover from therapy. I still have a lot of pain but I do get around just fine, I can walk up and down the stairs with no pain, but to walk just from room to room it hurts. I cannot walk without my cane and it hurts getting in and out of the car.

Sunday was four years for my right hip. I cannot believe it has been that long. On the 29th of this month my left knee will be one year old. I don't regret getting these done and I know I will feel the same way next year about this new hip I just wish this was a little easier. :unsure::sad::shrug:

@fiberlady Please DO NOT let PT push you. PT should never hurt!
I have to tell her that it hurts too much to do the straight leg raises and I don't want to do them.
Be very firm and if PT objects get up and walk out. The result of bad PT is only pain and the depression you are feeling.

Hips really don't need a lot of PT. Just walking will get you the same result. So sorry you are going through this!

@Jaycey I was very nervous going to PT yesterday but it was okay. First thing she asked was how I was doing, I told her terrible, she said we will not do those exercises then and just concentrate on easy ones. She massaged and did some simple walking and a few other exercises, one on that great big ball. So I felt more at ease and did not have any pain when I got home. I knew I had to tell her that I did not want to do those exercises. I have been through PT with three other joint replacements and I know the drill and the bonesmart mantra, so I should not have been worried about saying no to hard PT.

I seem to be upset with myself because I am still on pain meds. But if I don't take them I hurt and don't want to move around. If I take them, then I don't mind walking or doing just minimal things around the house. I guess the other night I was moaning in my sleep because I was in pain. My husband woke me up and he made me take a pain pill.

I seem to be upset with myself because I am still on pain meds.
Don't be upset at all. You are only 4 weeks out of major surgery.
If I take them, then I don't mind walking or doing just minimal things around the house.
This is exactly why you should keep taking your meds on schedule. It's a bit of a cycle. You take them so you can increase your mobility without pain. Soon you will start forgetting doses.

You are doing great!

Five weeks yesterday and I am frustrated. Yesterday and today were both bad pain days. I could barely touch my thigh yesterday the pain was so bad. The therapist said it was scar tissue. I thought that having the surgery anterior was supposed to be easier. I actually think I did better when it was posterior. Sure I had restrictions, but I did not have any of this pain. I could get around pretty good. I have terrible pain when I get in and out of the car. Terrible pain trying to get my leg up into bed. It has been awful. There are days when I don't even want to do anything because if I move there is pain.

I don't know if it is me and I should be doing more exercises as I do the minimum. I take the pain meds, if I don't take the heavy duty stuff, the pain does not go away. I was hoping I could be done with therapy and be on with my life, doesn't look that way. :bricks::tantrum2::gaah:

The therapist said it was scar tissue.
I doubt very seriously that this is the case. If it were me I would stop all PT and exercises. Rest, ice, elevate and take your meds. You need to get this chronic pain under control so that you can move forward. Sometimes you just need to strip back to the basics and start again.

Well I went to PT on Thursday and she did just massage on my leg. It felt so good and I walked out of there with no pain. I had a good two days. Woke up this morning with a lot of leg pain. Going to the OS on Tuesday. I am so ready for this to be done with. I hope he has an answer for me. I still have so much pain getting in and out of the car and lifting my leg into bed. I still have to walk with the cane as I limp so bad. I guess I really wanted this surgery to be the cure all. Maybe I was just getting my hopes up to high. I am going to see if I can get permission to go into the pool. I am joining a club that has a pool and gentle joint exercises in the pool. Hopefully this will help will all my problems.

I will be six weeks out on Monday and actually have more pain now than before I had the surgery. Somehow I don't think that is a good thing. Again, maybe I am trying to rush it.

Let's tag @Josephine to advise you on this continued pain. She will need some detailed information and will ask about your current activity levels.

What I didn't know, and didn't have to be concerned with the last hip replacement is scar tissue. I could feel it and knew it was there and rather thick, but the PT or nurse never said anything about it or what to do. The PT said a lot of my pain could be from this as it is very tight.
I could barely touch my thigh yesterday the pain was so bad. The therapist said it was scar tissue.
Let me say this a clearly and firmly as I can without sounding like a headmistress - you don't have scar tissue! It's a myth. What you have is painful muscles and ligaments from doing too much!
So I am to work on this. She also is having me use the rolling pin on my thigh.
No don't do that. It will just make matters worse.
So I am hoping I can make some progress to strengthen my leg and to get off pain meds.
Another headmistressy comment - your leg is NOT weak, it's INJURED! Therefore it doesn't need exercise or rolling pins or anything like that. Leave it alone!
I am concerned that I am still on pain meds.
At 8 weeks?
I thought that having the surgery anterior was supposed to be easier.
Well this is nothing to do with the surgery, it's more to do with the exercises. So I'm going to ask you some questions and it would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually - numbered as I have done - in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are ....

1. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't compare this with the bone-on-bone pain you had before surgery! :no-fin:) Also don't forget to include other forms of pain such as soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness

2. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

3. how often are you icing your hip and for how long?

4. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

5. what kind of PT exercises and exercises at home are you doing? How much and how often?

Can you describe them like these examples ....

Exercises done at home: 3 sessions a day
Heel slides x10 (reps)
Straight leg raises x10
Steps x10

At PT
Squats x5 (reps) x2 (sets)
Wall slides x5 x2
Clamshells X5 x2

In addition, can you tell me the exact site of your pain using this chart?
Please note the instructions in the smaller image

ai67.tinypic.com_f1zhn4.gif

ai66.tinypic.com_2r5rx8m.jpg

1. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't compare this with the bone-on-bone pain you had before surgery! :no-fin:) Also don't forget to include other forms of pain such as soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness

Right now my pain is a 5 for the burning pain on my thigh. If I try to lift my leg I have groin pain that would be about an 8

2. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often? Hydrocodon - APAP 10 - 325

3. how often are you icing your hip and for how long?
Twice a day for about an hour on PT days I ice three times an hour at a time

4. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and
I do the dishes, laundry and try to keep the house straightened. I don't do shopping.

5. what kind of PT exercises and exercises at home are you doing? How much and how often?

Can you describe them like these examples ....

Exercises done at home:
Heel slides x10 (reps) Twice a day
Straight leg raises x10 Cannot do these my leg hurts to much to lift my leg
Steps x10 I live in a 2 story home so I go up and down the stairs a couple times a day about 14 steps. I do not have any pain going up just coming down.

I have been given exercises to do at home, but other than the heel slides I don't do them.

At PT
Balance on a board - 20 reps
a band on my ankle moving my leg to the side - 30 reps
Massage
A sitting machine that is like a stepper. I believe it is called a new step
I do this for 10 minutes.
Sit on a large ball and rotate in a circle with the ball staying stationary - 20 reps
Moving and stretching my leg in a star fashion 20 reps

In addition, can you tell me the exact site of your pain using this chart?
Please note the instructions in the smaller image

Getting in and out of the car or bed, trying to lift leg to put on trousers, or if I attempt the leg raises
L4F D and sometime the heel slides

Pain all the time: D, F, G, L6F

L2B E - Occasional pain.

Last edited by a moderator:
Would walking in a pool be a good and safe and easy exercise to do? I feel like I should do something to help my recovery. I am going to stop the therapy after this week. My OS only gave a script for four weeks and it is up this week. I have an appointment on Tuesday will talk to him about all this pain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member