Guest viewing is limited

THR Now I have four<

Status
Not open for further replies.
@fiberlady - trust all is well and you were able to celebrate Thanksgiving. Just letting you know I'm thinking if you.
 
Well, it certainly feels like it has been several weeks since my surgery. It has been a very busy few days. Our granddaughter was here on Thursday night and all day on Friday. They took her home and returned her this morning. My sister came to help out yesterday. My granddaughter has been very good. Today she is out to our local little toy store, they are having a party for the kids with Santa and cookies so they get to have a little fun and maybe get a new book.

I can't say I am not tired because I am. I have been icing and moving around every hour. Pain is under control. Tomorrow will be a day of rest and then the nurse comes back on Monday and PT should start also. I forgot how hard it was to move around in bed.

My head feels like I am in a constant fog. I hope this goes away soon. I am having trouble getting that leg in and out of bed. It feels like dead weight. I have a leg lifter and have been using it. Having trouble doing heels slides. Everything else seems to be okay including marching in place. It does seem like everything is improving a little bit every day. I need to be patient. Ha something I know I did not do well with when I had my knee done.
 
I am trying to ice more today as the swelling is big time. Sleeping has become a chore. My back seems to hurt a lot since I am sleeping just on my back. If I remember from the last hip surgery I could not roll over onto my side yet. How long before I can roll over onto the non operated side?

It seems I upset the nurses when i tell them I don't have an appetite. But I never do after surgery. It is now six days since surgery and my appetite has returned. I made certain that every day I had protein and vitamin c and fiber. So now I am back on track and feel pretty darn good. I can even tell that the hip is better than it was prior to surgery. I go on the 8th of December to the surgeon's office for my first post op appointment.
 
Glad you are feeling good @fiberlady and it sounds like you are back on track with your appetite. I did not have much appetite after surgery either but, like you, was careful to ensure I at least had protein, Vitamin C, and fiber. I had such a hard time eating the food in the rehab facility that I requested the kitchen to provide me with a strawberry-banana protein smoothie with each meal. Sounds like you are doing very well, especially for being only a week out. :)
 
@Hipster Girl that sounds good. I will have to see if I can get something around here like that. Were you able to lay on your side? I need to read your recovery thread.
 
I wasn't given the green light to lay on my side until about 4 weeks I think it was but they said to keep a pillow between the legs going lengthwise all the way down to prevent crossing them, and that just wasn't comfortable to me so I am still sleeping on my back.
 
It has been one week since getting my new hip. I am having an issue with my PT already. For some reason the PT and Nurse do not believe me when I told them the surgeon did not give me restrictions and activity was as tolerated. Now I am not planning on hanging from the curtain rods or jumping on the bed. They also told me I should only be taking my pain meds as needed and not to take them every four hours as instructed. I thought we were supposed to keep ahead of the pain. In so doing I don't have pain and I am comfortable do my exercises and am making sure I ice, elevate, medicate and rest.

Other than that I am very happy with my progress. I can now do heel slides, could not do them right away but after the fifth day home I was able to do it without too much trouble. Now I am working on my leg lifts, that leg is dead weight.

I am not having too much trouble going up and down the stairs. Once up and once down. Works just fine. Sleeping is getting a little better. The leg is not strong enough to walk with just my cane yet, so I still need the walker.
 
They also told me I should only be taking my pain meds as needed and not to take them every four hours as instructed.
Take your pain meds as instructed. It's too late to control the pain if you take them "when needed". In any case they should not be questioning what the surgeon instructed. You are proving them wrong anyway as your pain is managed if you take the meds as instructed.
 
Thanks @Jaycey I was beginning to doubt what the doctor had told me. I am feeling really good. Actually walked a bit with my cane today. Still cannot do the leg lifts exercise but it will come I guess. I can already tell how much better the hip is than before I had the surgery. :happydance:
 
My OS now has a system called Health Loop. He checks in with me everyday. I let him know how things are going, if I have a fever, if I see any redness. Well yesterday there was some redness so I told him and today when we looked at it, it got redder and a bit bigger. He then asked that I upload a picture which I did and he then prescribed an antibiotic. It has been making it really easy. He asks questions to see how I am doing and reminds me to do some of the exercises, to ice elevate and rest. It is really a nice way to keep in touch every day. Not to mention he makes certain I take the pain meds and to make sure I request a refill during the day so that it can be taken care of right away. I feel like I have been very lucky to find an OS like this
 
Wow - that sounds like a great system! So often patients feel a bit alone when discharged from the hospital. That's great you have that daily check.

Sorry to hear about the inflammation. Fingers crossed this goes away quickly.
 
Yes this system is awesome. I wish he had it I place with my other surgeries. He just checked in with me to make certain I got the antibiotics and that he will talk to the nurse tomorrow once she sees me. Makes one feel at ease.

Hopefully this will pass quickly and I can get on my way with recovery.
 
Just stopping by to see how you are doing, sounds like everything is going well. The health loop system sounds wonderful, no waiting around and worrying over every little thing.
 
Well the antibiotics seem to be working and the redness is disappearing. Makes me feel a little better. All kinds of horrible scenarios were playing out in my mind.

When I had my first hip replaced RTHR December 2012 I had very little pain. This time it was done with the anterior approach and I seem to be having a lot more pain. I can tell my range of motion is better. When I do some of the exercises I can do them without the pain I was experiencing due to the fact that both my knees needed to be replaced. I also seems like my energy level is much higher this time around.

I have my first appointment with my OS on Tuesday we shall see what he has to say.
 
Well the antibiotics seem to be working and the redness is disappearing.
You must be very relieved. It was probably minor but better safe than sorry! Good luck Tuesday. Let us know how it goes!
 
Hi @fiberlady I have just noticed that you have 4 joint replacements in less than 3 years which is truly remarkable.The health loop system is a wonderful idea and what a shame more surgeons don't use it as one of the biggest complaints that hip replacement patients have is the lack of support once home from hospital.I can't see our NHS surgeons buying into this but I am sure that an experienced orthopaedic nurse could fulfill the role.It could even be cost effective with appropriate treatments given at appropriate times to avoid complications further down the line.I am so glad that your wound is looking better already.
 
@Kim22 kind of strange when one thinks about the four joints that are not my original parts. I don't even think about my right hip and knee. They were the first and they were pretty easy compared to the second knee and I can't complain too much about this hip. The health loop system is great. I wish my doctor had used it with my other surgeries. (I have had the same OS for all four joint replacements) I really feel at ease and what is nice is that my questions get answered if not right away within the hour. When I said I had a problem, it was a matter of just a couple of minutes and the doctor was answering me and telling me what they were going to do.
 
Once again, for some reason I didn't get your alerts :-( However, you seem to be doing great. I love that you have the Health Loop system - oh, how I wish you'd had it with your last knee. Your granddaughter seems to be part of your coming home welcome! I remember you were looking after her last time. I can just see you after Christmas - winding a warp and threading the loom with almost fading pain. I'm looking forward to seeing things fly off your loom. Thinking of you even if I don't touch base because I think you are quietly recuperating. I'm glad you got that antibiotic right away! Take care of yourself, Cindy.
 
@Threads thanks for dropping by. I just sat down to take a break I have been threading my loom to get those journal covers woven. I need two as both are gifts. The weaving will be the easy part.

Now that the swelling is going down and the redness is disappearing I can safely say that things are going in the right direction. I was able to stand in the check out lane with no trouble.

I am so looking forward to 2016 to be a pain free year filled with spinning and weaving.
 
I'd love to see a picture of your journals. Do they have a closed binding or a Coptic style one? I use the Coptic for the ones I make as they seem to give a bit more room to expand. I may even finally use the cloth that I made with Shiva crayons that is in my avatar for a travel binder for our upcoming trip ;-). However, I've never used my own handwoven for a cover cloth.

It sounds like things are improving for you and your pain is under control. Watch out world, 2016 is Cindy's year to soar!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom