TKR Now I Don't have any Leg to Stand on!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, if you want to change the title just tag me like this @skigirl and I will change it for you. if not, they we like to keep all of your posts in one place. If there is a problem, we can look back and see how things progressed for you.

It is hard having kids reared by someone else. They live and eat by different rules which is hard on you and them. I know it is tough, but would one of your friends drop them off at a movie? Or a video arcade? for at least a couple of hours of peace.

When they come back, maybe you can talk with them---Iknow, I know, it is hard to talk to teenagers but if they tell you what they like to eat and do, it will help you get to know them---and even though it is hard---they will notice that you are trying with them.

I read a quote by Erma Brombeck when my kids were teens----"Our kids need us the most when they deserve it the least". It has stuck with me through three teenagers. While it is hard for you---remember that it is also hard for them---stuck in a different place, away from their friends---with their dad gone all day---until 8 pm. They need nurturing too, even though it is hard. do you have a friend who would take them on an adventure? I have done that with friend's kids and actually had a really good time myself---maybe to a county fair or something that they have not done before.

When I had to be away while my stepdaughter was here, I emailed all of my friends and asked them to include her if they could. They took her out to lunch and to an antique fair and to all sorts of places. And, I have to admit that although the beginning was really rocky with my step daughters---I really love them now---20 years later. I regard them as an extra in my life--more daughters. I was so touched this summer when Mary, my stepdaughter asked me to walk her down the aisle with my husband. (her mother is not alive)

You will begin to feel better and as you begin to wean off the Percoset, you will not be asleep in the day time except for a nap. I just realized that you live in Philadelphia---how about the Franklin Institute I love that heart that you can walk through. And there is a tea house on the third floor of the art institute. My parents lived in Philadelphia---someplace called Secane or Upper Darby.
 
Ps am I understanding that if I want to start a new topic I should just reply to this thread?
Yes.
Keep everything about your recovery on this one thread.

If you want an answer to a particular question, ask the question and tag one of the Moderators or Advisers, like this @Celle .
 
Wow...it sounds like you have been doing alot around the house!!! I am 7 weeks out now...have a 10 and 12 year old, I have cooked maybe 3 times in the last 7 weeks, and it's been really quick meals. .even frozen pizza. That might be part of the problem with the pain is over doing it. I know even at 7 weeks if I tried to do what all you have listed, I would be hurting. I just really came off pain meds this week. Iwas taking percocet 10...started at 1 1/2 to 2 pills every 4 hours, then just 1, slowly the time between doses atretched to 6 hours, then 8, next thing ya know I only took 1 at bed time, now none for few days. But this has all been in the last 2 weeks. If your in pain. ..stay on the medication, take it on a schedule. But I think you need to seriously cut back on what your doing. Then the pain should get better, but it will take several days. When that happens, then do only little, quick chores. I would unload the dish washer, then rest for almost an hour. .Then do another 5 min chore, but this jas just been in the last 2 weeks, so for me it didnt even start til 5 weeks...I think you haven't given yourself time to heal. You and your husband are going to have to talk to those kids! They are old enough to fend for themselves, and be responsible enough to pick up after themselves and not bother you. I know it's not easy, but my 10 and 12 year old have been wonderful through this. They just yesterday cleaned up the kitchen and the living room and their bedrooms. They just know that I can't do this stuff. And the 12 year old boy knows that if he doesn't do what he supposed to do, that he will lose his video games (that would be horrible)! It will get better, but it's slow. .. don't compare today to yesterday, think about how you were a week or two weeks ago. That's when you can usually see the difference.
 
I'm in the NE suburbs of Philly, about 60 miles out. Too far to drive at this stage and trust me, these boys are not the museum types. They really just would be happy playing on the ps4 all day.

My 20 year old just came home from summer job at college so for 3 weeks she hopefully will be able to help me with them. She doesn't drive yet, though.

My step sons are great. They love me to pieces and refer to me as their "real mom" which they have been asked by both dad and me to never repeat for fear of slipping at home in front of mom. I love them back, they've been like my own kids since they were 8 and 10. I have two girls so it's a big difference.

I'll try your suggestions and hopefully will have a better week. Post op visit 2 on Monday.
 
I remember when I was a kid and a bunch of us would go to my one friend's house I thought her mom was so cool because she "let" us eat our lunches outside. I now know she wanted us out of the house to give herself a breather!
 
@skigirl Now I don't have any leg to stand on (new topic)

My rtkr was 6/23. Started out as a btkr but had a cut on left knee. Left knee is bad but not as bad as right. My left knee has miraculously been holding up like a champ for 4 weeks, doing most of the work, helping me lift the right. I was surprised- not much pain. After I tried to ride the exercise bike a bit last weekend, my left knee started hurting like it had before surgery. Tonight when I put my cane down to use the kitchen sink, my left leg buckled. Luckily I grabbed the counter and didn't hit the floor. I'm a teacher and was going to try to hold out until May for ltkr but now I'm not sure. If I do it in December I'll lose 5 weeks of salary. I see my OS tomorrow. I don't know what to do. I'm already still in so much pain and now I can't count on my left leg at all. My frustration level is through the roof. :boohoo:
 
I'm a teacher also, and had my right knee done Oct. 29, 2013, thinking I'd miss less school with the holidays in November and December. My plan was to go back January 2, 2014, however my knee had other plans. I went back January 29th (12 months to the day) and only taught mornings. I could not have done all day, plus my dr. insistd on a phased return. It took so much energy to get ready, get there, etc. so I came home in the afternoons and napped or went to PT. If my left knee holds out I want to do spring. I hated coming back to a sub and rehabbing in the winter was cabin fever on steroids. At least in the spring I could leave the house without worrying about ice or snow.
 
@KarriB My plan for left knee is May if it can hold out til then. I don't see that happening, though.
 
Although I'm not taking anything for pain at the moment (before my RTKR I was taking Aleve daily) I cannot use my left leg for steps at all and I have 13 steps to the main area of my ranch home (integral garage). But I'm walking ok, riding my bike and swimming. There's a bit of pain, but nothing like when the right leg gave out. Every step then was painful. I'm really putting it off until I can't handle the pain at all.
 
Once your TKR is up and running the other leg can take a rest.
 
It's possible the unoperated knee will calm down a little bit once the tkr knee can take the load, so to speak. But waiting until May could be tough. Then again you've been toughing it out so far. Only you will be able to tell. :console2:
 
I did change your title---hope that was right~!! I did an art fair last weekend--my brain is mushy!! So sorry about the left leg! Usually a knee buckles because of muscle weakness---or pain---sounds like you might have both going on right now.
 
My unoperated leg buckled a while back (one or two weeks, I have lost count). It felt really unstable for a few days. I scaled back on my chores and adventures a bit, and also made sure I was doing the leg exercises with both legs. Now it's feeling more stable. But I'm still nervous about the bathtub and the stairs! The stairs from my room are kind of steep and narrow. So I go down them slowly still.

So that's what seems to be working for me: a little more rest, a little more caution, and a little more exercise.

(edit: I do mean gentle exercise)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
First buckle in 6 weeks- not bad. They both buckled for years. Often while I was teaching. I officially am back to crawling up the steps with my hands- the left leg can't take it and the right isn't ready. I'm worried the left will buckle and I'll fall and mess up the right.
:bawl:
Thanks, @skigirl!
 
When I got my first kr, my knee would buckle on me. Scared me, bUT found that was my weaker leg. As it began to heal, it has stopped and just trying to build it up more. When it does happen now, I just rest it.
 
I'm trying to do that now, @louie. I'm also doing the quad exercises so I'm not behind the 8 ball for next surgery. I have no meniscus in either place so not much is holding me together. My sister jokes that McGyver should get in there and hold it together with a bobby pin and a stick of gum.:idea:
 
No, my first tkr would buckle. And a couple of times I almost went down, cuz my legs weren't stable. My leg that hadn't been operated on yet, was not holding my weight at all. Now that I have had both done, now they feel strong.
 
@GNee, a friend of mine had tkr, and did her exercises faithfully, but found she wasn't improving, knee was stiff and painful. She was getting desperate, cuz she needed to get back to work, so she got back with surgeon and he said the exercises were not helpin because too much swelling, and she had the manipulation done, and wining a few weeks was back to work. She was happy she got it done, and he also said a lot o scar tissue built up, and she was one of those that scar tissue built up quickly.
 
@GNee i think you should begin your own thread as that will show up on the forum list, more people will see your post and comment/advise. One of the moderators can then inform/advise on the possibility of an MUA.

@CCinPA My left leg was/is too weak to do stairs, but I am able to use it in a straight leg fashion to climb steps as long as I have railings. I do this sometime to rest my TKR and take pressure off it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom