Guest viewing is limited

THR Not going as planned

Glad you are now seeing progress. For me the progress was noticeable between 3-6 months from the op but I still get stiff first thing in the morning. Don’t compare recoveries as it really is different for everyone. The walking obviously suits you and icing afterwards will really help.
Yeah. I was at 3 1/2 months before I finally felt like I would eventually go back to work.
 
Hi @upser
Thanks for the update. There are a few members who've returned to running with the knowledge that it's high impact and most often not recommended, as it can speed up the wear of the prosthetic joint. I'm sure if you had to run away from danger, or do quick jog to catch up to someone / something, you could. I don't know that it's necessary to test yourself at this point.

Consider swimming as exercise in an effort to slowly build up your muscles while preventing an injury to your new hip. My guess is you're short of breath because you're overdoing it. Ease into your walks if you haven't been walking, slowly increasing your distance. It would be wise to ice and elevate also after walking to reduce the risk of inflammation.

Wishing you the best as your body continues healing. Stay in touch and let us know how you're doing.
I have no intentions of running anymore. Personally, I think it’s really dumb to run after a replacement.
Went for the same 2 mile walk today. Last time I stretched after I walked. This time, straight to the recliner. That seems to have been a mistake. After an hr of watching tv, I got up and....good grief, i was so stiff I could barely walk. Lesson learned. And I’ll definitely stay in touched. Thanks.
 
Sounds like you're seeing the improvements you've waited for. It's 1 1/2 years tomorrow for my THR and it still is improving! The stiffness takes quite a while to go. Stretching and mild Yoga work great. It's great your employer will work with you. One of the drivers where I worked just went back 3 mos after THR. I know he's still limping and I heard he's not happy he went back already.
 
It's 1 1/2 years tomorrow for my THR and it still is improving! The stiffness takes quite a while to go.

This isn't the first time I've read this. Some surgeon's even go beyond the "one full year" to recover timeline. So please don't get discouraged at this early date.

As for those who say they were leaping tall buildings in a single bound at one month post op....you can't always believe what you read. There is a thread on these faux recoveries in the Social Area -
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/tall-tales-from-the-thr-fairy-tale-book.49667/
Read it for a few laughs. Enjoy and have a great week!
@upser
 
  • Sounds like you're seeing the improvements you've waited for. It's 1 1/2 years tomorrow for my THR and it still is improving! The stiffness takes quite a while to go. Stretching and mild Yoga work great. It's great your employer will work with you. One of the drivers where I worked just went back 3 mos after THR. I know he's still limping and I heard he's not happy he went back already.
3 months? Way too soon. What’s he do? I don’t know how much it’s my employer v they can’t say anything at this point. Stretching and light yoga is actually what I do every morning. My surgeon let me extend my disability till oct 4. He actually ask me how long I wanted to wait.
 
This isn't the first time I've read this. Some surgeon's even go beyond the "one full year" to recover timeline. So please don't get discouraged at this early date.

As for those who say they were leaping tall buildings in a single bound at one month post op....you can't always believe what you read. There is a thread on these faux recoveries in the Social Area -
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/tall-tales-from-the-thr-fairy-tale-book.49667/
Read it for a few laughs. Enjoy and have a great week!
@upser
I was talking to my mother about other people recovering so quick and she said, “well, you don’t know if they’re telling the truth.” I said, “why would anybody not tell the truth about that?” I guess, from reading the stories, there are several causes of that.
 
Got a question. I don’t know if there’s any way to answer this. My new concern is developing tendinitis or bursitis after I go back to work, since I’ll be so active. Is there any way to know the chance of developing those, or anyway to prevent it? I have a friend who tore his ACL. He came back to work earlier than the doctor advised and got tendinitis. He got a shot and never missed a day because of it.
 
My advice would be to plan to ice and rest a lot when you're not at work. Put that on your calendar and treat it like a serious commitment. Listen to your body and, if you feel like your starting to overdo it at work, try to make up for it by resting more when you're not at work.

It's good that you're planning ahead for a smooth recovery. Bursitis and tendinitis aren't inevitable, so try not to worry too much. I bet you'll be just fine.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk
 
I don't know if it's so much not telling the truth. I think it's more of selective memory. The worker that I know is a linehaul driver, if you read my thread you'll see the insane physical test they give you to return to work. People want and need their jobs so badly they don't tell their OS about it and get released so they can take the test and return to work. Some have hurt themselves taking the test but don't tell because they need the job. No representation so it's different in different areas, around here jobs are scarce.
 
Well, I over did it yesterday(Sunday). Walked my very hilly 2 mile walk. But I thought I’d take it farther, so I passed the house and tried to take it another mile on flatter terrain. About 1/4 mile into it, my hip flexor and thigh started hurting. By the time I got home, I was limping pretty bad. Knee started hurting too. So, ice, then more ice. Today, much better but I can still feel it in the hip flexor. I guess the hills are stressing the hip flexor to much.
 
Ok. I’ve got a question. What does it mean to have a muscle “released?” My groin muscles are tight a lot. A little painful when I’m climbing a hill. 5 weeks till I go back to work and I’m pretty worried.
 
Back
Top Bottom