TKR Not Again

Aweescott, I’m sorry you’re struggling with nighttime sleeplessness! I did too, and if you might be contending with a cold or something, I hope you will take Jaycee’s advice and have yourself checked over... As for feeling cold at night, I tend to need warmth for sleep, too, and have a soft, old fluffy sweater that’s too big and loose, but is light and I can pop it over my nightgown to warm myself up better...

After my tough experience with the awful sleeplessness in 2016, I found after that that I often awakened and night and was awake for awhile. I’ve set myself up since with easily-accessed things to do... plus, I have found some herbal remedies that have helped, which I keep in containers on my nightstand.
Sending you support and encouragement! And I hope you find out if something else is “up “ and can be resolved!
 
Yes definitely feeling the cold more since tkr February 21 and sleeplessness I think is the normal I usually get up and make a cup of tea which warms me up and now it’s getting colder at night here in Aussie land I’ve been wearing leggings or track pants to bed as it keeps the knee warm and helps the aching
 
Thank you BBCG and BTASS. Had some warm tea. Helped a bit. Will put an extra blanket on bed tonight. I think it may be the drugs that are knocking me around as the only thing I ever take is panadol.
 
I am rarely cold, but I was cold for several months after my surgery.
 
I go from being cold to hot back to cold. Of course the weather has been crazy, one night warm, the other night cool. Grabbing a blanket, tossing a blanket...
 
I was also cold after surgery! I used a heating pad, and it was so comforting.
I suggest a heating pad or an electric blanket!
 
I used a space heater in front of my recliner for first 2 months. Went between hot and cold from all the icing. Being comfortable is key for recovery so keep trying different things. I started sleeping better month 3 (using melatonin and CBD oil)
 
^ So true. I tended to feel cold during my TKR recovery. In the height of the summer I'd be under a fleece blanket icing-- and barely running the AC even when I wasn't icing. And I don't like hot weather.
 
4th week ,I went to Dr about cold and pains in back chest and arm. He said, he thought it was the way I was trying to sleep pillowes piled up. I have been using the red light with heat and it is helping, Cold seems to have passed now, still having problems sleeping hopefuly soon I can sleep on my side which I'm hopeing will help. Managed to go out into the paddock today with the wheelie walker and feed horse and take rug off, tried riding my stationary bike the other day but by night time was too soar. Will just keep using my little floor peddle stretching and foot slides as these are the exorcises my specialist gave me.
 
Hi all 9 weeks since surgery, still having terrible trouble trying to sleep lucky if im getting 2 hours a night. I never thought it would be this bad. Leg straighten is 1 and a half fingers and rom is 115. Have been pushing it a bit much so physio said, to have a few days off as my leg has been quite soar, I just wish I could feel normal again. Have done more crying in the last few weeks than iv done in the last few years. Im beguining to wonder if ill ever feel it was worth it.
 
You don’t have to push that knee so hard @Aweescott, you are still early in a 12-18 month recovery.
Prior to my TKR I was aware of the BoneSmart gentle approach to recovery as opposed to rigorous PT. I was lucky enough to find the site before my TKR. Even though I knew about the BoneSmart approach my OS was all about PT and "whatever ROM you have when your scar turns silver is all the ROM you will ever have." He was the trained surgeon that has done many, many replacements, he must know what he's talking about right? So off I went to my first visit to PT, about 2 weeks out from TKR. The next day when my knee was more swollen and I was in much more pain I opted for a BoneSmart recovery. I never went to another PT session. That was one of the best decisions of my life. Not only did I suffer less pain, but my ROM has continued to improve over two years. I've been hiking over rough terrain for good distances, scuba diving, and just living a happy active pain free life with more ROM than I ever thought I would have again after many painful years. I've now had a hip replacement with equal success following a BoneSmart approach. You don't have to suffer needlessly to have an amazing recovery.
 
FC is totally correct! Don’t push yourself or you will set your recovery back! As for sleep, some of us (including me) have struggled with it for many weeks post-op. Relax! It will all fall into place in its own time.
 
So glad to find this site, been feeling quite alone lately. Had a TKR revision surgery 3/29/21 to replace a partial knee I had 10 years ago. According to PT and orthopedic surgeon I did excellent with good ROM after 6 weeks and was released from both with appointment to return in a year !

Only problem is pain and sleep or the lack of sleep. I live in the USA and doctors refuse to prescribe pain medication after 21 days because of opioid epidemic so it’s suffer through it time. I’ve been feeling like I’m just a wimp or lazy. I was okay until I started trying to drive I guess we didn’t exercise that muscle in PT so pain is bad after a short drive to store to grab a few items I can’t get from Amazon.

At least the COVID restrictions are lifted here so we can be out when we are able to. I went to visit my grands but after a 30 minute drive I was in to much pain to enjoy the visit and in tears before getting back home with no one to whine to or even know it’s normal to hurt this much, so thanks for sharing, I needed it really bad and feel better knowing I’m not crazy and alone with how I feel !❤
 
supergrandma, welcome to BoneSmart! Which knee did you have replaced? The moderators can create a signature for you and you can start your own thread.
Congratulations on your new knee. As you can see, I had my 2nd TKR just 2 days after you. This is a long and challenging recovery - up to a year - and there are many ups and downs, highs and lows. Sleep is an issue for many of us. You need to still be elevating and icing the knee, especially when in such pain. Consider bringing an ice pack with you when you visit your family.
There is lots of support here, so check back often. You are not alone.
 
I had my right knee replaced thank you for the encouraging words and advice about the ice packs hopefully ice will be easier with the warm weather here now
 
Hello, it’s 3.40 am here in Dublin ( Ireland) and I had my tkr done on March 1, I have so much stiffness and it’s practically impossible for me to sleep , tonight it’s especially bad ( hence writing at this hour) I came across this forum and it’s made me feel so much better, I keep thinking that I must be doing something wrong or that I’m not doing enough and pray that it was not a mistake having tkr
 
Hi 10 weeks now since knee replacement. Have been having pain on outside of knee has anyone had this problem. Had to go to Dr to get some panadol fort to help with sleep at night.
 
Outside, inside, above and below! Pains like to migrate and at ten weeks you are less than a quarter of the way to a 1-year recovery, so try not to worry. I’m almost 2 weeks ahead of you and I am still having sharp pains here and there. I think we just have to wait it out. Meanwhile, elevation and ice continue to help.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom