TKR No Kneecap and a TKR Experience

@liam2015, thank you so much for your hugs and prayers! I'll find out tomorrow what has to be done to repair my foot and ankle.
 
I saw the OS about my injury. I have around a 2.5" break that runs up my ankle bone on the right outside and one on the top of my foot on the right side, too. He said that my displacement isn't that severe and we decided to try the hard cast. I am to see him again next week to see how the bones are mending. I pray that they do, so I don't have to have surgery. Today has been the worst day for pain. Oh, and I still can't put any weight on my foot at all for at least 3 weeks. I'm finally using a wheel chair where I can and that has really helped. I got down my steps to the car with my walker, but couldn't get back up. Again, in this rain, I had to sit on the steps and back myself up until I got into the house. I'm asking at church for someone to build me a temporary ramp.

This has also been a worse day for my new knee where I fell directly on it. Maybe it's weather related or maybe it's the soft tissue damage I did to it Sunday. I'm not worried about the implant. That thing is pretty much 'tough as nails'! Not so my tissues!
 
I pray the good souls at your church come through with the ramp and any other adjustments you might need. Sounds promising that your knee survived intact. Hope your ankle bones heal quickly, and you have an uncomplicated recovery from this misstep. And you are tough as nails... though very human. Sending many healing thoughts.
 
Thank you so much, Mrs. Shoes! You keep up the good healing yourself!
 
Ice your knee while you're resting and elevating your ankle, Paula. I hope you soon start to feel more comfortable.
 
Icing the knee is a great idea! I've been so focused on my injury that I didn't even think about that!
 
Feel better!!! So sorry you've had this turn of events. You have such a positive attitude, it's inspiring!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I'm in a pity party right now. I had given up my cane about 3 months ago and was so happy, and was so much enjoying that I could finally walk like a normal person. Now, I can't walk at all. And now I can't go to anywhere without my wheelchair. But even using that, the steps are a huge problem. There's no getting back up them. Have you even tried to hop up steps on one foot without putting the other one down? It's impossible. Even if I could get up and down the steps, I can't drive cause it's my right ankle and it's against the law to drive with a cast on.

I'm sorry for this downer. I'm having a meltdown.
 
You're fully entitled to have a meltdown, Paula. Anyone would. :console2:
Let it all out. Remember that a good cry can be cathartic - it's healing in the end.
We're all here to listen, so go ahead and vent all you like.

I'm glad you've asked your church for help with making a ramp, so you can get in and out of your house. Have you let them know you'd appreciate visitors as well, and someone to run errands and do shopping for you? Heaven knows, you do enough for the church. It's your turn to be on the receiving end.
 
Hope the church comes through with the ramp.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hope your knee and ankle feel better soon.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@sistersinhim, you have been involved in almost every thread since I joined this site in March. You've always been so quick to encourage and empathize. Now it's our turn. I'm so sorry this has happened to you. But I remember you telling me that it's okay to cry. I'm praying your church friends do what they should do when a member of the body needs help. I pray for peace and strength for you. Let us all love on you. You aren't alone.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@becticu, thank you so much. Today has been a crying afternoon. I think it has hit me just how difficult this will be. But, God has a reason for letting this happen to me. And I will be a better person when it's over with. HE never gives us more than we can handle, but it sure feels like it right now. Now, is the time to lean on Him and my friends more. Being on this site, trying to help others, has given me peace and fulfillment! This trial I'm in will be used to help someone in the future! I pray that I'm up to the challenge.
 
Paula, I'll be praying the bone heals soon and you won't be non-weight bearing long. You're allowed to have a melt down!
 
I am so sorry you are going through this.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
HE never gives us more than we can handle, but it sure feels like it right now.
Paula, whenever I hear someone say that, I think of what Mother Theresa is reported to have said:
"I know that God doesn't give us more than we can handle - but I do sometimes wish He didn't think I was so capable!"
Feeling as you do now, you're in good company.

You will handle this, with help, and everything is going to work out all right in the end.
 
The knee scooter is supposed to come today. I hope I can get it put together, and start using it. It should help my mobility in the house. Yesterday was a very painful, depressing day. I had a pretty good night and the pain this morning isn't as sharp. My old knee isn't liking the extra work put on it, and is letting me know! With my new knee being laid on the scooter, I'm expecting it to complain, too. It is still sensitive. Both of the knees have been sensitive to anything touching them for years. I hope a pillow on the seat will help that.

I still have to call my county to see if there is any assistance with a ramp. Until I get one I'm pretty much stuck inside. I hate being an invalid.
 
I was on crutches for 6 weeks after I broke my foot several years ago. The knee scooter was a life saver, but it will wear on your knee. If you can find a narrow pillow to put on it, i suggest you duct tape it to the scooter for stability. I hung a little bag off the front too. My only issue was at work... my coworkers would steal it and have races down the halls. I'd be at my desk calling to them, "I need to pee! Please come back!" [emoji23][emoji23]


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom