Guest viewing is limited

TKR No Kneecap and a TKR Experience

@Lindylee Oh, you are so sweet! I was taking a much larger dose of the turmeric, but I started having side effects from it and had to cut back to a lower dose. It's very possible that it is helping. I haven't stopped it completely.
@beachy, God is teaching me patience and it is such a hard lesson to learn! I can relate to your hip bursitis. I've got that, too. I had a cortisone shot and it helped for about a week, that's all.
@Cementless, I had birth defects which allowed my kneecaps to wobble in and out of their tracks and they wore way down. They were removed in 1991 and 1993. It has left me weaker than a person with kneecaps, but I can do pretty much everything I want to do.
 
@sistersinhim you're too kind. I take the turmeric for the tendonopathy in my hip that was originally diagnosed as arthritis, then bursitis before I had the ultrasound. It never helped my knees though so I wonder if it's more effective on soft tissue?
 
I'm trying hard to get off it but it's taking time. Cold turkey doesn't cut it.
Is this comment referring to Tylenol? Tylenol is NOT addictive and you don't need to wean off it. What's happening is that it IS working to some extent and when you stop taking it, you notice the pain. That's neither addiction nor dependency.

The same applies to Diclofenac or any other NSAID.

@Josephine, it says:
Modalities
Therapeutic Exercises
Mobilization (Kinetics)
Quadriceps and hamstring strengthening
Hamstring stretches to gain.
Ultrasound
1st week 2x.
2nd week 3x.
Duration: for 3-4 weeks.

Goals: Increase Coordination
Decrease Pain
Increase Endurance
Decrease Pain
Decrease Swelling
Increase Strength
Home Program

Your opinion, please before I go to my first appointment.
These are generic descriptions so without knowing exactly what exercises will be involved, it's difficult to say.
 
I have thought that it might be loose, especially since it's getting worse. I posted my xrays, but you said they looked OK.
Paula, would you post your xrays again? I just spent about 40 minutes trying to find what you posted last time but the images were too small.
 
@Josehine, these are probably too big! Thank you for checking for me! It's the Diclofenac that I'm trying to get off of. Numerous areas in many of my joints react badly when I'm not taking it. Tylenol helps a little bit, the nighttime pain is breaking up my sleep when I'm off of the NSAID.
[Bonesmart.org] No Kneecap and a TKR Experience


[Bonesmart.org] No Kneecap and a TKR Experience


[Bonesmart.org] No Kneecap and a TKR Experience
 
Actually, they're not big enough! I need them as big as you can manage because when I enlarge these ones, they go all fuzzy! And I don't need the third one.
 
Okay, that was better. To be honest, I'm a bit suspicious of the femoral implant. As you can see here - yellow arrows - there is a small shadow around the edge of the metal that could indicate loosening.

[Bonesmart.org] No Kneecap and a TKR Experience


However, femoral implants are incredibly difficult to see but if memory serves, I believe you declared pain around that area, did you not?

[Bonesmart.org] No Kneecap and a TKR Experience
 
@Josephine, thank you so much for your time and study of my xrays. Most of my discomfort is where you have indicated and at the area where the stem goes into the tibia. At the tibia area I will actually have a sharp pain at some movements and at night in my sleep. There is no pain walking unless I twist it a certain way. I am very aware of my steps since my fall. The CD RF1 area is still numb with noticeable little zingers at times. There's no problem at all there.

I made an appointment with a PT for Monday the 25th. I will play the game. Actually, I pray that the PT takes my pain away and I can get off of the NSAIDS and still be able to sleep! Josephine, if I do have loosening, what exercises should I avoid?
 
Oh Paula, I'm so sorry. I really should have looked at those xrays more carefully. Well I did this time and what I've seen gives me cause for concern. It seems like the tibial component is also loose. I've marked out the shadows which are gaps between the cement and the bone. Here are the edited images

[Bonesmart.org] No Kneecap and a TKR Experience
 
@Josephine, what is your suggestion about PT? Will it harm me or help me? I guess I should make that second opinion appointment. I have a feeling he won't look closely either and it'll be a waste of time. This is so frustrating. I'm still facing knee #2's surgery in the future.
 
Yeah, I'm pretty bummed out right now. But, I do have some good news. I finally rejoined the Y and made it back in the pool today. It had been over a year and I was aiming for two laps. I made it 4 laps and could have done more but stopped. I have to see how my body reacts to the 'new' exercise tonight and tomorrow. I was going to go back tomorrow but we have that phone thing, so I'll wait until either tomorrow afternoon or Friday. A girl friend said she'll go with me Saturday, so that will be a help. Encouragement from a friend always helps!

I am tickled to death that your appointment turned out so well. Now, to get that nerve problem taken care of! Hopefully, it'll also fix the one in your foot.
 
Thank you, Josephine. I'll do just the ultrasound. I want to have 'ammo' to take to my 2nd opinion. Having him tell me to go to PT, just like that PA did, would infuriate me. I want to have that already done and then get on to the real testing with scans and not exercises!
 
Sorry you're going through this almost 3 yrs after your tkr. I hope it's resolved soon. :fingersx:
 
@sistersinhim I too am so sorry you are having to face these issues, Its hard to understand how you can be so helpful to all of us here , when you are having such drama's with your knee's, :thankyou: praying every thing is completely healed and you are without pain very soon, your selfless caring means so much to all of us here, now it's our turn we are here for you:console2:
 
Thank you for your kind words. Most on here are just starting through their journeys. I remember how scared I was when I just started out. If I can help just one person, then my time on here is worth it!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom