Guest viewing is limited

TKR No Kneecap and a TKR Experience

The pain, this time, was in the bottom of my knee where the shaft goes into the bone and woke me up. It felt like something catching in there. I did walk about 2,000 steps more yesterday than what I normally do.
You know, that's exactly what I get but I know it's from the loose implant moving around inside the bone. I've read through your thread and don't see any mention of the possibility of a loosening? Or did I just miss it?
 
I don’t get any pain that wakes me up. But then, my legs are elevated all night every night, and because of the design of my wedge, I stay still all night.
 
I just heard from my PCP. He won't order the lab work for the metal allergy test. He's going to refer me to an allergist and will be calling me next week to set up for that referral.
Before you make the appointment with the allergist, make sure he does metal allergy patch testing, otherwise it is a waste of your time and money! If he does, the allergist can also write a prescription for the blood work that the Chicago lab needs too. Then you would have something to compare. Patch testing and blood work for metal testing don't always match up. That was what happened to me @sistersinhim
 
I wonder, when you make an appointment, with your current surgeon, who decides whether you see him or the PA?
Who knows? No one told me that I'd be traveling an hour to see a PA. If I had known that, I would not have gone. But, I did get the xrays, and they show nothing wrong. But, something is wrong.

You know, that's exactly what I get but I know it's from the loose implant moving around inside the bone. I've read through your thread and don't see any mention of the possibility of a loosening? Or did I just miss it?
I have thought that it might be loose, especially since it's getting worse. I posted my xrays, but you said they looked OK. Of course, it seems like many times the loose implant doesn't show up. How did you find out yours was loose? If I'm remembering correctly, your xrays looked good, too.
 
Before you make the appointment with the allergist, make sure he does metal allergy patch testing,
We recommend that a person gets the blood allergy test. Why do both? The patch test normally doesn't show near as much as the blood work does.
 
We recommend that a person gets the blood allergy test. Why do both? The patch test normally doesn't show near as much as the blood work does.
@sistersinhim, I disagree. I had both done twice. Each time they showed different allergies. I wanted to make sure this time before my revision. It also helps if your OS revision doctor takes those tests seriously....some do not.
 
@Cementless, I will make sure I'm taken seriously. I am fortified with my experience on Bonesmart these last 3+ years. I was a strong person anyway, but am really stubborn and strong now when it comes to my knees!

I have a new symptom added to my other ones. Today I'm hurting right in the middle of my knee like it would hurt under a kneecap, but I don't have one! These are more pains than an ache. @Josephine, could this be the patella tendon hurting?
 
I finally got my prescription in the mail. My ailment is stated as pes anserine bursitis. The general symptoms sound like my pain. I will give the PT exercises a chance. But, you all know me, I will remain in total control in what is done. No hands on me unless it's a gentle massage. No pushing or pulling of my leg in anyway, and I will not go beyond discomfort during my exercises. The main thing I want is the ultrasound treatment, but I'll try the exercises. If my pain is coming from inflammation, great! I don't want a revision! I will give this a good try. I have to get off of the Diclofenac, I've taken it way too many years! :shocked:
 
@Josephine, it says:
Modalities
Therapeutic Exercises
Mobilization (Kinetics)
Quadriceps and hamstring strengthening
Hamstring stretches to gain.
Ultrasound
1st week 2x.
2nd week 3x.
Duration: for 3-4 weeks.

Goals: Increase Coordination
Decrease Pain
Increase Endurance
Decrease Pain
Decrease Swelling
Increase Strength
Home Program

Your opinion, please before I go to my first appointment.
 
Last edited:
I went 2½ days without the anti-inflammatory and had to go back on it this afternoon. I had lots of discomfort last night and both knees were hurting pretty badly this afternoon. I had to work at a church dinner tonight and needed relief, so I'm back on it.

@Josephine, can a person become addicted to Diclofenac? I will continue taking it until I do PT for a couple of weeks, then I'll go off of it again and see if the therapy is working. If not, I'll schedule a second opinion.
 
@Josephine, of course I know how bad any NSAID is, but I have to weigh my quality of life. Tylenol doesn't touch my arthritis and knee pain. I'm trying hard to get off it but it's taking time. Cold turkey doesn't cut it. I've cut down on the prescribed amount by half. Hopefully, the PT will help my TKR knee pain.

What are your thoughts on the prescribed PT?
 
NSAIDs are nasty drugs, but they can help, a little, with pain. When I stopped my Aleve before my knee replacement surgery, the pain got even worse. I’m sorry you’re having this pain again and am crossing my fingers your implant isn’t loose. That’s always in the back of the mind with the Attune implants.

Pes anserine bursitis is pretty painful. I had it in my left knee post-op, for several months. My OS said it was a result of aggravation before and during surgery (he cleaned things out in there) and to just ice it a lot, exercise by walking and daily activities, and rest it a lot. It did go away, but took its jolly time.

Metal allergy testing is kind of a **** shoot from what I’ve seen. Sometimes people take the test twice and get vastly different results, which seems odd to me. You would think you either have an allergy, or you don’t. Anyway, a good allergist is a wonderful thing, and if you have one that’s a fine place to start in figuring out whether you have a significant metal allergy. The allergist I saw pre-op was very helpful and informative.
 
@sistersinhim So sorry to read about all the problems you're having.

I hope I'm not intruding but I see you have tendonitis and I thought I'd share my story. My right hip had become so painful I was dragging my leg upstairs, could barely lift it, walking any distance made it worse and it woke me up at night.

I was referred for an ultrasound guided injection and the Consultant Radiologist said my tendon was completely worn out, frayed, full of holes and severely inflamed.
The injection helped a little for a couple of weeks and then I was back to square one.

But then a bit later a friend who had been suffering from a frozen shoulder (tendonitis) recommended turmeric as he had benefited immensely from it.
He did point out it might do nothing for me. He'd recommended it to 2 other people, one had great success with it, but not the other.

At that point I would have tried anything, as no other painkillers/anti-inflammatories had touched it. I started taking 1 x 500mg capsule 3 times a day (following his example) and 4 days later I suddenly realised I'd been walking for 20 minutes pain free. I reduced the dose to the recommended twice daily and within a short time I was pain free lying down, and it only kicked in again if I did a lot of walking or climbing stairs.

I can't tell you what a difference it made. If I stop the capsules, which I had to do for surgery, I am aware of the pain in a very short time, although not as severe as before.

You do have to be careful with other medicines so need to check with a pharmacy, which you should do with any over the counter medicine or supplement.
Just because something is natural doesn't mean it won't have an interaction and turmeric does thin the blood.

I'm not sure whether it is something you might consider and I put no pressure on you to do so.
I've gone on to recommend it to friends, it's helped some, but not all.

By the way, I have no shares in turmeric and don't benefit from recommending it unless it affords someone relief from pain.

If you feel this post inappropriate, please delete it.
 
@Lindylee, thank you for your thoughtful post. I have been taking Turmeric for quite a while. It's not enough for me. I don't want any needles near my new knee, so I decided no shots. The PT I'll be taking is really a hope that it's nothing wrong with the implant, but the pain where the shaft goes into my tibia with certain movements, especially during the night, has led me to believe it might be something more. I have to go with what the doctor says to try before going for a second opinion.
 
Oh, that's a shame the turmeric didn't help. It is strange that it helps some and not others, but maybe it depends on the source and type of pain. I hope this latest attempt to offer you some relief works. Wishing you a successful outcome. :console2:
 
Good luck with the pt! It could be just the thing you need. If not, you'll know soon enough.
I won't be far behind you in pt. It's inevitable for my back and hip bursitis. Like you, I'll do whatever it takes to help this :censored: pain!
Such a shame that it's in your knee after all you've been through.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom