Guest viewing is limited

TKR No Kneecap and a TKR Experience

I do the machines in the fitness center then swim a few laps in the pool. I tried using the elliptical machine and that killed both of my knees. I can do the recumbent bike, but I have one at home that I seldom use. So, to get my cardio workout in I swim laps. I always stretch out in the pool when I'm done. It feels really good!

For some reason, today has been the worst day for both knees than I've had in a long time. My new knee shouldn't be giving me pain like this. My goal is to work it and if it's loose it should get worse and show up sooner rather than later. I'm not getting any younger and if a revision is in my future I want it done sooner! I still have my old knee hanging over me, too. I won't even consider getting it done until this tkr is right.
 
Are you actually getting a strong flutter kick when swimming or just doing some stretches and hanging out? I really miss my swimming but the last foray into the pool was a disaster! I’ve been debating trying it again to alternate with the walking twice a week being I’m off another 6-8 wks now.
It took so much effort to change before and after and get to and from for the 20min I lasted.
 
I’m sorry you’re hurting more than usual. Maybe all that at the Y isn’t the best for you.
 
@traceys, yes, I do flutter kicks. I tried the 'frog' kicks but that hurt my tkr. It's way to soon for you to be thinking about doing any kind of flutter kicks. If you walk gently in the pool it might be OK. But, remember that water adds resistance so it's just like using weights on your leg. Four months after my tkr I tried walking in the pool and swimming a half a lap using just my arms and that was all. I hurt for a week! It was a month before I went back. Then I did it slowly, but it was fine. I was going pretty regularly until I had my breaks. I am just getting back to it now, 1 1/2 years later.

@Jockette, if the Y is too much for my new knee I want to know now so I can get it fixed. This waiting around and babying it is for the birds and not what I signed up for! If it is loose I want to know now, not a year from now. I won't abuse my knee and will follow my workout guidelines. If, in a few weeks the knee settles down then what a blessing that will be! If not, then I'm off for a second opinion.
 
@sistersinhim thanks. :console2:
I think I’ll stick to my walking the indoor track then. I will admit I’m excited about the walking poles more than the swimming right now anyways. Lol

I really hope you figure this out soon. It is so hard watching you go thru all this.
 
I would call my appointment at PT a good one. Most of the time was taken up with my history and specs. After that, she did the ultrasound. I would have to get her to stop Every so often for a few seconds so I could move my knee. This is just normal behavior for both of my knees, so it probably wasn't a result of the ultrasound. I go back Wednesday and bet exercises will be added. The therapist asked what I did at the Y and then said as long as it doesn't hurt you'll probably be OK. That sounded wonderful to my ears. Oh, and the best thing for me, she's a Christian, too! Yay! I had asked a girl friend of mine to pray that I acted Christ-like today and not be hateful to the therapist. Well, He answered that prayer!

Right now I'd say that ultrasound has helped the pain! I can move my foot and knee without the awful pain that I usually have. Praise God! @Jockette, did either of your doctors order that for you? You might ask about it. Who knows, it just might help you.

I have had a cyst on the top of my foot for about 6 months. It had recently started hurting and my GP said to go to a Podiatrist. I saw a sign Saturday that advertised one, so I pulled in there after my PT visit this morning to see if I could make an appointment. The doctor took me right in a drained it. I'm to wear a tight wrap for 48 hours so that means so shower or swimming. Bummer. But, the cyst is gone. I have a big bone spur there, so it'll probably come back, but at least it's gone now. I'd say my day was very blessed!
 
I’m glad you had such a good day and all fell nicely into place. Awesome that the podiatrist took care of you right then! The benefit of not being in a big group of doctors.

I have never been offered ultrasound. While I guess it’s possible it might momentarily relieve discomfort I have doubts it would fix anything. For temporary relief all I have to do is put shorts on and sit down with my feet up. I can do that at home.

Like I said on my thread, I think this neurologist appointment isn’t going to yield much. My hope is a prescription for gabapentin, but I don’t expect much else.
 
@sistersinhim that is wonderful to hear!!! Happy hopping here for you (no emoji for that one!)

I had ultrasound once and it did help but for some reason my or said she is reticent to use ultrasound on TKR patients. Funny you brought it up as I want to ask her why as I want it done on the one spot I’m having a lot of pain with.

Go rest that foot now and tomorrow you can start down a good path now!
 
The PT said she would have to be sure to not get close to wear the implant metal is; that it would heat it up! Nope, don't want that. I remember how long it took me to quite hurting when it got too cold last winter.

The foot has awakened. It doesn't hurt where the two needles went in, but up above that. The doctor said that I had a nerve running under the cyst to the toes and that's probably what was causing my pain. It is probably a little more aggravated now. He did send the fluid off to be tested since it was pink, having some blood in it. I'll go back to him in two weeks to see about that. I bet he'll want me to take anti-inflammatories. I'm going to PT to try and get off of those!
 
@sistersinhim Before you had that cyst worked on, did it give you nerve pains?
I think I have exactly what you do. If you rub mine, it is squishy and sends little shocks along the top of my feet to my toes.
 
@rustic, the cyst was on the middle of my foot where you tie your shoes. That area didn't hurt. It hurt up between the cyst and the toes. It hurt to move my foot around and when I walked. It's much better now. But, I have a big bone spur, so it'll more than likely come back. He took an ultrasound before draining in and you could see the spur sitting up along with a bone fragment that had broken off. I had dropped a really heavy piece of firewood on it last winter. I believe this started this problem.
 
Will you need surgery for that bone spur?
 
Will you need surgery for that bone spur?
Eventually. I had one filed off my heel about 15 years ago right in the doctor's office. Maybe this could be done the same way, but I doubt it. The whole bone area has moved up. It can probably be made less sharp with some filing down.
 
My phys therapist used ultrasound at each appointment. Not sure if it helped, but it didn't hurt.
If it's any comfort I am the bone spur poster child. Lately I've had 2 on my wrist and thumb joint. And a biggie on my right knee. So far they give me just a little grief.

Great PT report! And congrats on anger management LOL.
 
If it wasn't for cysts and bone spurs, I'd probably be really bored! Oh, and I forgot to mention that PT said the back of my knee is swollen and more than likely a Baker's Cyst. Why not, I have plenty of other cysts. Why not add another one to the gang! Never a dull moment.

The relief for the ultrasound was just temporary. My knee woke me up a couple times last night. Of course, it has been just one treatment. I'll get another one tomorrow morning. At least my knee felt really good for most of the day yesterday after the ultrasound!
 
Last edited:
I jumped on my outside bike and rode to the mailbox yesterday. For the first time in a couple of years it hurt where the shaft goes into the tibia to pedal it. After about 5 minutes it quit hurting. Last night I was awakened a few times with the whole knee in pain, (5-6 pain scale). After getting up and walking around this morning, it quit hurting.

I had my first PT exercises today and she stressed no pain. I am thrilled with their gentle therapy! She let me be the guide for each exercise I did, so I cut them short. I'm glad I did. The pain started shortly afterwards. I'm icing now, front and back. The Baker's Cyst didn't let me do the exercises with a full extension because it hurt it. I don't know if I'll go back to PT or not. Maybe I'll go just for ultrasound. I'm afraid when I go for the second opinion the first thing he'll want to do is send me to PT. This country is so crazy over PT!

More bad news. When I took the wrap off of my drained cyst on my foot this morning, it was back. That didn't last two days. I guess I'll have to look into surgery for that upper bone. I'm so tired of being cut on. I guess you can tell I'm bummed out. Sometimes I just feel like giving up, but I can't do that, God still has work for me to do.
 
@sistersinhim you just keep getting handed one blow after another. :console2:It’s ok to be bummed out. Your emotions need a chance to drain so you can get rid of them. Maybe you can take a complete YOU day? All sorts of rest and pampering and treats? Some music and reading? Just put it away for a bit.

Too bad I couldn’t fly you here to do your pt with my team. They would treat you like a queen.

My mom had those cysts on her foot for years and it had to be drained every week for the first few. Dr told her it was essentially a fluid leak from the bursae forming. Then they slowed formation and eventually stopped. She hadn’t had one in yrs now.

Without realizing it you are helping so many on here just by being you
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom