TKR No Kneecap and a TKR Experience

@Josephine, I just quoted your response to Grandma Chris' in the above post. My question is, why would my OSs do lateral and medial releases when I've had no kneecaps for the last 3 surgeries? I had lateral releases on the right and left knees about 10 years after my patellalectomies and the medial release, according to my surgical report, during the time of my tkr.
 
Thank you. So many of the members are putting on a face for the next few days, so I thought I would, too. My kitties will come back soon! I get tired of looking at me!
 
Love your pic! Nice to "meet" you!
I guess I'll have to put one up too.
Happy 2019!
 
Thank you, @beachy! Looking forward to seeing your photo.

Update on the knee. It's some better. No zingers down the back of it for two days now! I still have discomfort on the medial side and back. It is pain if I move it the wrong way. It is painful to put on my socks the normal way, so I have to put the right one on with my foot on the floor. We do what we have to do. Last year this time, I didn't have this pain.
 
I hope it resolves soon. At least the zingers hit the road!
 
I had a patellectomy when I was 25 and it was after 5 surgeries from an injury when I was 15, now the TKR, my surgeon used the old scar so it’s kinda off to the side instead of the middle. I still stayed active by wearing a carbon fiber custom brace .
 
@dmichael21, I couldn't tolerate a brace on either knee. Even hose and tight pants hurt. I never did much sports but did hike, dance and ride my bike as my fun activities. My patellectomies were due to birth defects and the wearing away of the kneecaps and joints. There has been a lot of damage on these old knees from all the surgeries and I'm so blessed to not be in a wheelchair! My OS used a new incision instead of the crossways scar across the knee instead of down the knee that I have for the patellectomy on this knee. My left knee has the scar down the medial side of the knee about 8" long. Were you put into an immobilizer after your patellectomy? I had them for both of my knees.
 
Last edited:
I’m sorry you are still having that new pain. :console2:
 
It's gonna go away! Good night all and Happy New Year!!!
 
Happy New Year!!!!:dancing:
 
@Josephine or @Jamie, this has happened about a dozen times. Then last night was the worst and pain level of about a 7. My TKR knee was bent and when I went to straighten it up, the pain was awful. It felt like something caught and it didn't want to move. Once it straightened it hurt quite a bit for the next few hours. Since I don't have a kneecap, can a tendon get hung up on the implant?
 
Do you know @sistersinhim I’ve had exactly that feeling and pain. Once after I got off a train and started to walk and then again in bed after turning over. The feeling of something catching and then kind of righting itself . Very painful. The second time it felt like a physical ‘clunk’ as things got back in place.
Mine has been during this recent healing process from the tkr and I realise that yours is much later on.However you are making me remember it and realise that I’ve had more continual pain from that point on.
Hope Josephine or Jamie can help you.
 
That’s s high pain score! :console2:
 
That pain level lasted only about a minute after I got it straight. Then it tapered down. I finally got rid of it by riding my recumbent bike. If all this is from tendons and muscles that I'll have forever, then it's a bummer! But, I can ride my bike and hike now! I just have that night time pain when I'm laying on either side and go to straighten up. It's strange and just started about 3 months ago.
 
I wish everyone would get a good outcome with this surgery.
 
Back
Top Bottom