TKR No Kneecap and a TKR Experience

I don't have any idea what might be causing your pain, so I'm going to need to defer to @Josephine. Have you talked this over with your surgeon?
 
@Jamie, I'm considering going for a 2nd opinion. Can you recommend someone near my zipcode? Something isn't right and is getting worse. My OS was negative when I asked about the Attune recall. He denied that there was a recall, then he stated that he used his own cement. I don't feel good about going back to him.
 
I have these surgeons in Charlottesville:

Charlottesville, Virginia
University of Virginia Medical

Dr. Quanjun Cui
University of Virginia Medical
Charlottesville, VA

Does revision hips and knees. Works with younger patients.

James A. Browne
University of Virginia School of Medicine
Charlottesville, VA
Revision hips and knees
Speaker at 2018 ICJR problem hip and knee workshop
 
Thank you, Jamie. That's about 4 hours from me, but it'll be worth it if I can have satisfaction! I will start researching these.
 
I've really, really thought about this but it obviously can't be anything to do with the actual joint as it's been replaced. So it has to be a spasm in one or more of the ligaments.

So - not before time! - I'm going to ask you to show me the site of this pain using my chart

[Bonesmart.org] No Kneecap and a TKR Experience
 
@Josephine, it's D&E RF2. This is happening only when I'm laying on either side with my leg bent. It will start to hurt and wake me up. When I go to straighten it is when it feels like something is in a bind and extremely painful. The whole knee is tender to the touch, especially in that area, all the time. My old knee is also tender to the touch, but not so much in that area. Walking and bike riding is OK. Just my side sleeping is the biggest problem, being awakened many times a night.
 
I see - remind me, have you had it screened for a loose implant?
 
No. I've not been back to the doctor. If it's normal pain for having no kneecap then I don't want to waste my time or money. My last xrays were at my year checkup.
 
I don't know that it's normal for no patella. I would actually think not. But it might be normal for a loose implant!
 
Oh boy. Jamie came me a couple names for a revisionist but they are 4 hours away. I think I'll go to a more local OS for xrays and then if it shows loose then I'll go to someone far away for the actual surgery. Thank you for your help!
 
Paula, if/when you get new xrays, be sure to let me see them!
 
I took a baby step today. I called my original OS's PA and left a message asking if he is still using the Attune implant. That's my fleece that I threw out for the Lord! If he is, then I need to go to a different one. If he has changed, then I'll schedule an appointment with him. I have felt some better then last couple of nights. I did have some pain when I tried to put my socks on the normal way. Still can't do that anymore.
 
I heard back from my original OS's PA. He no longer uses the DePuy Attune implant. He uses the DonJoy or Zimmer. I know nothing about these implants and will study up on them. Of course, the skill of the doctor is the most important thing! But, I would still like to know more about what would go into my body!
 
I cut my toenails this morning and it hurt my tkr knee very badly and now it's stiff. I have no outside swelling, but stiffness is a sign of inside swelling. The knee also woke me up a couple of times last night. I have cut my Diclofenac pills in half, so I'm taking only 1/4 of my daily prescribed amount, but it's obviously not enough. I don't want to take any of these NSAIDS! They are so dangerous and one of the main reasons I got the tkr.

I have an appointment to see my OS on 1/21. I'm having a friend go with me in case he takes a fluid sample or gives me a shot and then I can't drive afterwards. Something's wrong. I pray it's just tendonitis and not a loose implant.
 
Hugs and many prayers!!!:console2::console2:
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom