THR Nini's Right THR Recovery -- January 2024

This is why we recommend avoiding Dr. Google!

You are now more than three months post-op, @Nini, so it's probably safe to do this. If you are anxious about putting your leg int he wrong position, do it sitting down. I used a shower stool the first few times I shaved and felt much more secure than standing on one leg!

Just go slowly -- no quick movements -- and listen to your body. :ok:

@benne68 I agree with the Dr Google comment. Actually I read the same thing here about the shaving. I will try it sitting down. (I’ve read about many dislocations here also). I try to do my best keeping everything straight. Thanks for your quick response!

@Nini I tried to tag you yesterday about this. We have a built in seat in our shower (tile is cold though!) but I bought a ‘giraffe extended razor handle’ on Amazon and found it useful :)

A you tube suggested purchasing an extension
They used to sell a razor called Giraffe, I believe. Another option I've read of here was taping a disposable razor to a paint stick. :heehee: I never tried it personally, but I guess it works.
The joys of womanhood.

I sure hope this is just an over did it day from yesterday. I’m in so much burning pain. I walked down the road yesterday but I didn’t think too far. and then probably did too many stairs. Why is it when you think you are healed you aren’t??

@InkedMarie oh my! I just read your post about the lady dislocating her her hip by shaving her legs. Shaving legs is my next hurdle and I’m terrified of a dislocation! How do you shave your
Non operated leg without having operated leg behind? Thank you!
It’s been almost 10yr since hip replacement #2 and I still hear my doctors voice in my head, every time I shave my legs!

Marie

@Nini I just went through a broken ankle recovery that left me unable to get in and out of my shower (couldn’t clear the tub). I used a foot wash basin to clean my lower body and shave my legs.

I never got that restriction with my hip replacements, though! Thank goodness I didn’t have any dislocations. Ugh.

@MissFanny thank you for your response! I hope your ankle is well on the mend! I came home with my new hip done posterior with no restrictions. But that does mean I have not been very cautious.

Thank you! 4 months since surgery and all healed up! Though I do still swell if I don’t wear compression socks. That lingers for up to a year. Not sure what I am going to wear this summer with knee high compression socks. Ugh.

@Nini
I'm almost 3 weeks out (staples come out today!) and I shave my legs by sitting on the toilet. I keep them both with feet on the floor and I just have to bend over a bit. I have no movement restrictions-- my body sure tells me immediately if I'm overstretching. Using a shave oil (order it from Ulta) makes it easier. Then I get in the shower and let the water run over my legs while I wash the rest of me.
Question about the zingers--- last night I started getting like a shooting pain in my lower right glute. Totally random. Unprovoked. I had this on and off through the night and again this morning. I'm hoping this is nerves reconnecting too and nothing bad going on in there. I'm doing relatively great otherwise-- muscle and incision aches, etc., but this is different. Does this sound like your-- and anyone else's zingers?

@proffrench I’m going to try shaving this Thursday. I did order the giraffe extension but plan on sitting as much as I can. I plan on keeping both feet as straight as I can if I do have to stand. Thanks for the advice.
As far as the zingers a few of mine were strong enough to make me gasp. Different than any pain I had experienced. At 15 weeks I’m still occasionally getting them. Maybe put this on your thread so more people would see it and maybe have a different answer. Good to hear you are doing well where you are at in this journey!

I was one of those who taped a disposable razor to a small garden bamboo cane. Worked well! Also rubber-banded a small facecloth around a long handled shower scrunchy thing to smear on some l'occitane almond shower oil. Good luck! (I also taped nail polish brush part to a cane to tidy up my toes before a garden party with less success)

I could sure use some encouragement today. While I’ve been having good days there are still days of what the world is happening to me? Coming up on 15 weeks! This morning was especially hard as we had a memorial service to go to. So the prep of getting ready to go, lots of sitting and anxious feelings. My butt cheek is buzzing and pain on the outside of my leg which I feel is bursitis but I dont know. I have so much I want to do but here I am laying down trying to get the pain to calm down which I know it will eventually

Going out in uncontrolled walking and then sitting in an almost certainly stupid chair was just guaranteed to cause a sad new hip. Even people in excellent physical shape can be done in by a stupid uncomfortable chair.
Rest. Maybe ice. All your chores will still be there tomorrow.

Last edited:
@Nini I am so sorry you had a rough day. Having a funeral to attend is tough let alone navigating our new hip. You WILL feel better! I have found that often when I have a day with new or exaggerated pains, the next day I feel stronger as if the day before was just part of the process. I have even begun telling myself when something hurts, “I am healing!” (Instead of “ow! That hurts). I hope you sleep well tonight and wake up stronger tomorrow!

Thanks for the reply @luvcats! Every thing you said is true! After we walked out of the fellowship hall I even commented about it was nice to take my normal strides. It’s not easy walking in a crowded room. And ugh! The chairs. And thus after a day was watching 2 small grandchildren! It’s just hard to not think about if this will forever be my norm! I’m looking forward to tomorrow to make sure it’s not! @Valentine that will be a day of rejoicing for me! On the days that I do feel good I go through the house singing I believe in miracles! And yes I like to feel those tugs that I know are healing tugs! There should be many more here very soon!

All that and 2 grand children? I'd be worn to a thread.
Tomorrow may not be back to where you want to be, but surely that bounce-back will come.

Just sending a ((hug)) - rest and ice and yes tomorrow should be a better day!

@mendogal thanks! Trying to stay positive and live my life. I just have to remind myself where I’m at in this journey which to me seems like a slow one. So it’s very helpful to hear from those who are on it or through it!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
IceWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom