Guest viewing is limited

THR Nini's Right THR Recovery -- January 2024

Remember that ALL the muscle and soft tissues in your leg were traumatized by the surgical procedure -- and it takes time to heal from that. I know 7 weeks seems like a long time, but you are still very early days in this year-long recovery. Discomfort up and down the leg and in the hips, buttocks and even the back is very normal at this stage of recovery.

Also I thought about something this morning. I’ve been more active trying to do more around the house and maybe this is why I’m experiencing different pains? Groin and leg pains along with the butt/hip pain I had been having. Thanks for all your help and input!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have another follow up planned with the surgeon? At this point, I would want them to rule out any kind of nerve impingement. My recovery has been, in my mind, very slow, though from what I've read here, it's normal. However, my hip is a little better every week so I don't worry as long as I'm moving in the right direction. Because you haven't had any improvement in this sit pain for weeks, I'd make a follow up appointment if you don't already have one scheduled.
 
Do you have another follow up planned with the surgeon? At this point, I would want them to rule out any kind of nerve impingement. My recovery has been, in my mind, very slow, though from what I've read here, it's normal. However, my hip is a little better every week so I don't worry as long as I'm moving in the right direction. Because you haven't had any improvement in this sit pain for weeks, I'd make a follow up appointment if you don't already have one scheduled.
I don’t go back until May. I plan on waiting a bit longer and then calling. Someone here mentioned the sit pain is usually the last to go. I do appreciate your input.
 
Someone here mentioned they had gotten a memory foam pillow on their thread. This is coming today! I certainly hope it helps!
[Bonesmart.org] Nini's Right THR Recovery -- January 2024
 
Remember that ALL the muscle and soft tissues in your leg were traumatized by the surgical procedure -- and it takes time to heal from that. I know 7 weeks seems like a long time, but you are still very early days in this year-long recovery. Discomfort up and down the leg and in the hips, buttocks and even the back is very normal at this stage of recovery.

Also I thought about something this morning. I’ve been more active trying to do more around the house and maybe this is why I’m experiencing different pains? Groin and leg pains along with the butt/hip pain I had been having. Thanks for all your help and input!
Without a doubt any new movements will trigger different pains. Pain in the butt is all too common and does last quite a while for some. I had it with both and my right was worse, sitting in the car driving was terrible. I tried all of the cushions and pads, no real help. What worked for me was easy stretches but in early months be careful and don't push a stretch. And just to cheer you up I'll let you know that it comes back at times depending on what I do, even years later.
 
8 weeks. I’m feel like I’m doing better! The pain is still in cheek of butt especially after sitting at my computer which was have to do. And it’s a strong burning pain I’ve been trying to message that area with my thumb.
 
@Nini Has that special cushion helped with the soreness when sitting? You might also try standing up and walking around more frequently rather than staying seated for long periods of time.
 
The cushion maybe just a tad. I try to get up was walk around the room every 45 minutes. In a 9 hour period of time today I was active off and on for 3.5 hours if that according to my Fitbit. What really kills my cheek area is my computer chair. I have tried two different kinds of chairs that we have. And only sitting there for 15 minutes at a time. I have a gel pad coming tomorrow to try. I would be doing really well if it wasn’t for having to sit. And to try and do something standing after this flares up is awful. Thanks for your thoughts!
 
Week 8 and I had three really good days. I was pretty happy. And then today…. I didn’t do much more than I had just enjoyed feeling better. I didn’t get much sleep last night either on my back or good side. I iced as soon as I got up this morning but having plenty of discomfort in my cheek and lower cheek. Is this just a case of good days and bad days? If so it’s too bad the bad days felt they had to return! Thanks for any input!
 
Is this just a case of good days and bad days?
Exactly. This recovery is a roller coaster -- the good news is that the dips become smaller and less frequent as time passes!

You'll get there. Just give it time. :console2:
 
news is that the dips become smaller and less frequent
Thank you! And in looking back I finally got the courage yesterday to bend over to pick things up bending my knees. Using muscles I hadn’t used in awhile. Thank you again!
 
Happy Two Month Anniversary, Nini!
I hope you sleep better tonight and have a better day tomorrow.
Wishing you comfort and a pleasant weekend. :SUNsmile:
@Nini
 
Happy Two Month Anniversary, Nini!
I hope you sleep better tonight and have a better day tomorrow.
Wishing you comfort and a pleasant weekend. :SUNsmile:
@Nini
Thank you! I did sleep better and today I feel like I’m back where I was on Thursday! I was very anxious about something in the night when I couldn’t sleep and I’m sure that did those healing muscles no good!
 
Hi there! I also had posterior and at the top of my scar which is where the glute medius muscle connects will still get sharp twinges from time to time. You are not alone! Still gets a little tender here and there. Darn nerves!

Also... I had a lot of anxiety and stress due to my company went bankrupt two weeks into recovery and lost job (but not insurance). I'd sit in zoom interviews for 30 minutes with my butt killing me LOL. Funny how when I landed a job my recovery started to go better :)

Patience time and a little meditation does the body good!
 
Last edited:
I don’t think I’m going to try and use the quote thing anymore as it seems I just posted several that had to be deleted. I’m sorry. But onward.. Tomorrow is 9 week po mark. I do feel I am going slow but sure. Still significant pain in incision area. But I was able to lay for a few minutes on operation side last night. This morning I made some very simple cookies. Stood for awhile and then walked around. Painful but they are out of the oven and my husband will be surprised and happy I attempted them! I’m going to keep trying! As I’ve read here over and over it does get better!
 
able to lay for a few minutes on operation side last night.
That's a huge milestone! Congratulations!

Regarding the quotes: The reason that post was deleted was because it was ONLY quotes -- with no reply/ comment from you. If you want to quote someone -- do just one at a time and reply to each separately.
Or, unless there is something you specifically want to highlight from their post, you can just tag the person (@name) whose post you want to reply to and type your reponse.
 
@benne68 thank you for fixing the quote thing for me! Yes I was quite pleased with the milestone of being able to lay on it. Even for only a few minutes but still! I feel pretty good about the cookies and cleaning up after anlso! Im icing to calm things down but I did it!
 
Im icing to calm things down but I did it!
That is celebration time! It's the little things that mean so much in this recovery. Every week, there is something new that you can do that you couldn't do last week. That is functional success, not a numbers thing!
 
:flwrysmile: it's these little moments that add up to recovery!!
 
Thanks! I need to keep those thoughts close!
 
Back
Top Bottom